Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "Cosmos" TV series

Administrator

England

New "Cosmos" TV series

Looks like it's finally being made! Even if it's just half as good as the original, it will be great!

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-will-be-on-tv

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-...r-2013-launch/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Is the original Cosmos a "must watch" even today?
    Last edited by kidgloves; 08-Aug-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: .
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    It's a little dated, stylisticly, but Sagan is simply fascinating as a mass-media teacher.

I know Tyson from Nova, he's not a bad choice for host. I'll watch it.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Styles have of course changed, mainly with the pace of presentation being quicker now. But I watched a couple of episodes a few years back, and still found them utterly engrossing and informative.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Styles have of course changed, mainly with the pace of presentation being quicker now. But I watched a couple of episodes a few years back, and still found them utterly engrossing and informative.
    I tried watching the first episode the other night but after seeing Through the Wormhole recently im afraid to say i couldn't get passed the 70's presentation and i've become so used to HD now that even a dvd version wasn't sharp enough for me. Im sure the information is engrossing but i constantly had the thought that i was watching outdated science.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    I tried watching the first episode the other night but after seeing Through the Wormhole recently im afraid to say i couldn't get passed the 70's presentation and i've become so used to HD now that even a dvd version wasn't sharp enough for me. Im sure the information is engrossing but i constantly had the thought that i was watching outdated science.
    I understand about the presentation and video quality, but what's interesting abuot Cosmos is it actually does provide some rather good solid physics, in a beautifully presented and digestible ways. It also has a beautiful soundtrack/score!

But I can understand more modern glossy presentations can make this classic series appear out of date!

Beautiful!

-Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    cosmos like the old show carl sagan hosted? if so good, kids needs some of that again. get that chinese-american dude with the white 'its totally not plug ins' hair that does all the talks about robuts and quasars and junk.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Looks like it's finally being made! Even if it's just half as good as the original, it will be great!

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-will-be-on-tv

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/fox-...r-2013-launch/
    I was definitely curious as to who they got to host it, cuz I'd been looking to see who the next Sagan would be for years.
    I've seen Tyson on a number of Science shows, and maybe he might give it more gravitas, but Machio Kaku has run the Space and Physics gambit from Astronomy to Super Heroes, so more kids might recognize him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku

What can I say, I'm a fan.

Wayne Z

Administrator

England
    The only other thing I can think that had the same sort of take on science that Cosmos had, is Bill Bryson's 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'. Somewhat like Cosmos, it's a very insightful, and most importantly interesting and unique, look through treads of physics, biology and history.

I can highly recommend the audio bok of it!

Back to Cosmos... Carl would have loved this I feel!

-Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Seth Macfarlane will have a hand in it, Family Guy referenced cosmos years ago:

Last edited by Rottedfreak; 13-Aug-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: aedva

Administrator

England
    ^^ lol!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    This is a very interesting extra on the Cosmos DVD if no ones seen it

A Dialogue Between Carl Sagan and Ted Turner

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    ^^ Such a shame he was taken from us early
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    It's time to get going again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBTd9--9VMI
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Does the actual information of the original still stand up to scrutiny? We learn so much about the universe on an almost daily basis nowadays.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon