Thread: Hpotd banning

United States

Hpotd banning

We just had a member get banned recently for good reason. I am assume he got a Perm-a-Ban. Perm-a-Ban = FOREVER

Lets just say a well loved member of the forum got really drunk one night and said some really nasty thing about people and started fights. Everything was out of character for the individual but still he was banned. Would he get a Perm-a-Ban as well with no mercy or would it be like a strick warning for several months?

Personally, I think a Perm-a-Ban is pretty crazy unless the person's mission is to make the forum shutdown or doesn't listen after several temp bannings. That's just in my opinion. If someone crosses the line, why not give them 1 or 2 chances as long as they aren't within a short period of time?

Trying to understand HPOTD's policy on this issue. I post on another forum where they hand out time stamped bans that usually expire.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 10-Aug-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: ...

United States
    Aren't those what warnings are for though? I think we've all had those moments here where we get a little out line due to having a shitty day. We're a community here and we know each other fairly well to know when someone is just having a bad moment. Honestly, most of us here are regulars.

I don't see the point really with "temporary bans" when we have warnings for that type of thing though really. If someone steps WAY out of line once just issue a stern warning of something along the lines of: "Hey, that was uncalled for" as I've seen Andy do a few times before. Usually closing a really heated thread will do the trick too.

EDIT: I just realized this was posted in an HPOTD "Ask Staff" and I'm not supposed to comment here and I didn't pay attention when I was responding to this as I thought it was in a regular forum. So, my bad in posting a response as this is directed towards staff. Feel free to delete my message as I should have paid better attention.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 10-Aug-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Yes, I'm an idiot.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    lol please don't ban JDFP

He means well

-- -------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

On JDFP's note of "warnings".....if someone is under the influence....they might tell a Admin to f-off on Sunday and completely upgrade their warning to a Perm-a-ban...then on Monday wake up with a headache and a banned membership to the forum. Shitty Monday I say.

Also, I open this discussion to the public as long as it's ok with the Admins.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 10-Aug-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: ...

Administrator

England
    Any topic in here is open to public aslong as it stays on topic and dosnt start filling with spam, thats when i get annoyed and im pretty strict with the ask staff forum that way but that said, anyone is welcome to contribute.

We really dont ban unless we've exhuasted all other options, The majority of situations are resolved by closing topics, deleting posts and have a quiet word via PM with the member. we also have a system of building warning points on people everytime the mods have to deal with them and when they accumulate 10 points, then they are banned.

United States
    Haha, sometimes when I get drunk, the next day I run to the computer machine and check where I might have fudged up. FB is the only place, for the most part, that I can get a tad bit unruly in. I try to keep it clean at places like here.
    Ok, except that one time that guy pissed me off, but I let it go pretty quick. Things happen, just know when to finally STFU.

Administrator

England
    If you counted up the number of genuine members we've banned over the years i bet you could still count it on your fingers, its that low. If we did reveal ban reasons to members (which has been asked before) you would see that pretty much 99% of all bans are spambots.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If you counted up the number of genuine members we've banned over the years i bet you could still count it on your fingers, its that low. If we did reveal ban reasons to members (which has been asked before) you would see that pretty much 99% of all bans are spambots.
    As Andy says, we really only resort to banning as a last step. We give people plenty of second chances, and often get criticized for give too many second chances...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    on the topic of spambots: i remember a time when this place was literally being inundated with spambots and y'all were banning bots like crazy. that seems to have dimished a great deal.

i've been hanging out here for years and i'll agree with andy - the number of real members that are banned for behavior is actually quite low.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    on the topic of spambots: i remember a time when this place was literally being inundated with spambots and y'all were banning bots like crazy. that seems to have dimished a great deal.
    Andy's put a number of hurdles in place that really get in the way of spambots, hence the lack of them these days.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan