Thread: Euphamisms for the living dead that haven't been done to undeath or copyrighted?

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Euphamisms for the living dead that haven't been done to undeath or copyrighted?

I'm trying to turn Galatea's Child into a full length novel and I am having a few minor issues.

One of the biggies is what the zombies are going to be called by the survivors. I am trying to stay away from living dead, walking dead, and other descriptions that have already been used heavily.

Any good suggestions?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I like 'Stenches'.

United States
    romero's original trilogy referred to them as "things" numerous times, and this has always sounded best and most natural to me.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    romero's original trilogy referred to them as "things" numerous times, and this has always sounded best and most natural to me.
    I have been doing that a lot for the same reasons. So far I have also used the dead, undead, living dead, walking dead, and of course "Things". I even broke into mandarin once.

Babel fish is your friend when playing with a very multicultural future society.
    Last edited by brer; 14-Aug-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Adding content

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by brer View Post
    I'm trying to turn Galatea's Child into a full length novel and I am having a few minor issues.

One of the biggies is what the zombies are going to be called by the survivors. I am trying to stay away from living dead, walking dead, and other descriptions that have already been used heavily.

Any good suggestions?
    Here's a thought.

Start a list of names based upon how your survivors respond to the Dead. How do the creatures look at first glance - would a short order chef have a different nickname for the Enemy than a soldier or cop?
    What are the various states of your Zombies? Crispy Critter? Squishy? Road Kill? Huskers? (dried out barely holding togther corpses )

It's free form, and you'll pile up a ton of descriptions that can be turned into seemingly spontaneous names in no time.

My tried and true favorite from my Deadfall series ( though mispelled throughout ) was Gristlies, like the bits of tough stringy flesh clinging stubbornly to bone.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Z

“You be careful crossing the quad. “ warned the Sergeant as one of his men opened the door for Peter. “Gristlies have been spotted congregating near the north gate. They might not be able to see but they can smell ya. “
    Gristlies? That was a new one to the civilian. It seemed strangely apt in describing the threat which gathered outside the high fence. Grasping wiry fingers shaking the wire, yellowing teeth snapping in frustration at the warm flesh withheld from the upright carnivore...

DeadFall; Foreshadow.

United States
    I always liked "Dead Heads" a nice double entendre in that.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    "re-animates" is always popular. But do stay away from 'zombies'...even if it means sticking with something pretty common. Common isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's a reason why things become cliched or over-used. They work.

Twitching

United States
    Ghouls, Zulu-Echo-Delta's (Ie: Zeds), Revenants, Stiffs, Reekers, Biters (of course), Rotters, Shamblers (a favorite of mine), Flesheaters, (the very basic) Deadthings, Cannibal Corpses, Abominations etc etc etc.