Thread: Refrigerator Woes.

United States

Refrigerator Woes.

OK, I need some help here. When we went to Dallas, a few days before I came back... my electricity was cut off due to forgetting to pay the bill. We got home, and there was a terrible odor coming from the fridge. We had pretty much emptied it, but left a container of chicken livers in the freezer, which got pretty ripe.
    I turned the fridge off, and am currently airing it out.
    Does anyone have any hints on making my fridge not smell like the inside of a hobo's ass other than what I've done already?
    We took all the stuff out and cleaned it. Would baking soda help get rid of this? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well you've cleaned it already, but you should go back and wipe it down with bleach. Also, yes baking soda does help.

Just make sure the doors never stay closed while it's unplugged.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    yep, mike beat me to it. bleach works. baking soda should be in the fridge 24/7

United States
    It's crazy, but the inside smells fine now, but there is still a stink around the outside. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a dead body under the fridge...

United States
    Wipe down interior AND exterior with bleach and water solution, and let dry. Some people recommend using lemons too. Boxes of baking soda will also help, like my brother's said.

-- -------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    It's crazy, but the inside smells fine now, but there is still a stink around the outside. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a dead body under the fridge...
    Could be your upper lip.

Sorry brother ron - couldn't resist!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Another thing that works well is charcoal. If you go to a pet store they sell granulated charcoal which I think is for fish tank filters of some kind. Not sure on that. But the stuff placed in a shallow dish and put into the fridge will clean up any residual smells. Wiping with bleach is the best first suggestion though.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post

Could be your upper lip.

Sorry brother ron - couldn't resist!
    I had to check real quick to make sure my kid didn't give me another "Hitler" 'stache.
    I wouldn't put it past her... again.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll be trying them out tonight.
    I actually put BBQ charcoal in my fridge and freezer. Am I tarded for doing this, or would it work the same? It was a desperate move. It does seem to not stink AS bad...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post

I actually put BBQ charcoal in my fridge and freezer. Am I tarded for doing this, or would it work the same? It was a desperate move. It does seem to not stink AS bad...
    Regular bbq brickquettes probably will work - as long as it's not the chemically treated one that is supposed to light real fast since that will make your fridge smell like lighter fluid - , but the granulated stuff that Trin suggested would work faster. You can get a bag of it for real cheap at PetCo, but if you have that natural wood bbq stuff - like that carbonized mesquite chunks that look like actual branches - you could crush that up and use that. Might make your fridge smell like a mesquite bbq which isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 30-Aug-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: The more your drive the less intelligent you are.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    For now I moved that fridge out to the garage and moved my old one in. I'm going to let the other air out with the doors open for a few days. I've been looking for a new place anyway, this landlord is turning out to be a real douche nozzle. I just hope I can find a new place semi quick and he can have his stinky old fridge. This place, and everything in it, has been more trouble than it's worth, especially the a/c.
    People suck sometimes...

-- -------- Post added 01-Sep-2011 at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was 29-Aug-2011 at 10:25 PM ----------

A quick update: I left that badboy out in the garage for a few days and today I checked it out. There was a smelly goo underneath it, so I moved it out in the driveway. Apparently, the chicken liver sludge froze back there behind the vent and was making it stink back where I couldn't get to it. I guess it melted and oozed down the back and outta there. Looks like it's good to go. I was dreading telling the landlord about it, since I still need to chew him a new one over the a/c. Now I just have to take the door to the garage back off again to get my old one out, and theirs back in. They will be none the wiser...
    Muwahahahahahaha.
    By the way, thanks again for the advice, peoples. I was really stressing over it, I figured he wouldn't give me my deposit back over it. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll fix the a/c so I can stay here. Still not sure which is worse: owning your own house and paying for all the repairs yourself, or relying on others to get around to fixing their crap so you can reside there in peace.

United States
    If there is still a stench around the fridge you might check and see if you left your Diary of the Dead DVD case open nearby.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    If there is still a stench around the fridge you might check and see if you left your Diary of the Dead DVD case open nearby.
    Man, I really wish HPotD would incorporate a 'like' feature for posts.

United States
    Ha!
    Zing!!!

United States
    damn, that's almost sig worthy, but i actually half-way enjoyed diary. had you said survival, i'd fully agree.