Thread: New Blog Needs Followers

United States

New Blog Needs Followers

Hi, I just wanted to ask everyone to check out my new blog. I am trying to break into the film review business and plan on writing a few reviews a day. I have just posted my first one. Unless I have followeres (and feedback) the newspapers around here wont even look at it. If you could be please check in out I would appreciated it.

http://bigkahunamoviewreviews.blogspot.com/

United States
    Alright, so you want to be a professional movie critic?? That is great, first thing's first - SPELL CHECK.

Also, you sort of blow your credibility by admitting you are a fan of cheesy action flicks and saying that Steve Austin and Michael Jae White have produced good work of any sort.

My advice to you, start with reviewing movies that people would actually see or have seen or even would want to see. Not saying you have to review something that is main stream, but at least something relevant - not some direct to dvd mess.

Good luck with your quest and I wish you much success.

United States
    Yes, I must admit it was a bad first choice, but its also the last film i watched. I just posted a new one for Drive Angry. I'm trying to get the feel down, as I normally have a more humorus style that I'm trying to get rid of. I'll make the next review a little different, more of my natural style. Please let me know what you think.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn View Post
    Alright, so you want to be a professional movie critic?? That is great, first thing's first - SPELL CHECK.
    That was the first thing I noticed...
    Also, you sort of blow your credibility by admitting you are a fan of cheesy action flicks and saying that Steve Austin and Michael Jae White have produced good work of any sort.
    Austin is a definite agreed, but White was in Spawn, and I liked that one.
    My advice to you, start with reviewing movies that people would actually see or have seen or even would want to see. Not saying you have to review something that is main stream, but at least something relevant - not some direct to dvd mess.
    My favorite thing was his avatar picture. Is he a Mexican wrestler, wtf?!?!?
    And, yeah, pick better movies. Drive Angry was good, but that first post really had me scratching my head in a WTF way...(especially pushing it in a zombie forum.)
    Also, more colorful commentary, less just rehashing the plot for us. If I want synopsis alone, I'll wiki it.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree with these dudes - spellcheck is a must (but be careful with it). And, yeah, don't just describe the plot outline to the reader; tell people how you felt - what was good? What was bad? What could have been left out? etc.

I'd also like to add: if you're truly serious, work on your grammar and pick up an AP Stylebook.

United States
    Thanks for the advise re reading them even I don't like how they sound. I'm going to post a new one tomorrow written more in my natural style I'll post when it's up

Thanks

-- -------- Post added 31-Aug-2011 at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was 30-Aug-2011 at 05:18 PM ----------

Ok, I have a new review up, done in my normal style of writing. Let me know if this works better

-- -------- Post added 02-Sep-2011 at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was 31-Aug-2011 at 11:14 AM ----------

3 new reviews up. I think these are better getting more comfortable writing. I've tried to stop writing like others and just do it my normal way

United States
    Not fond of your logo at the top of the page. The image is too large and the Big Kahuna Movie Reviews" gets lost in the background of the movie posters. Put the Big Kahuna Movie Reviews above the image. Make the movie poster image half of it's current vertical size.

Also put a blank line in between paragraphs. Makes it easier to read. Add keywords at the bottom of each post. Lot easier to do it now than when you have 100+ movie reviews. That way if the user wants to see all the comedy reviews, it's an easy way to search.

If you want to monetize your blog could add in Amazon affiliate links.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse