Thread: My Growing Infatuation With Martin Clunes

United States

My Growing Infatuation With Martin Clunes

So one night I was searching for Rob Schneider movies I hadn't seen yet, and found a show called Men Behaving Badly. However, I saw there was an original British show of the same name. I quickly finished the two seasons of the U.S. version, which I also liked alot, but then decided to check out the other, my reasoning being that well... If I liked Gervais' The Office, and the U.S. version stunk, then since I liked Rob's version, then MBB-UK must be the bomb. And I was right...
    Sadly, I finally finished it last night, almost tearfully. So few episodes, I wanted more. I had seen an interview with Clunes awhile back, and the guy was awesome, nothing like his Gary character. Heck, he is even a hugely charitable guy and kind of soft spoken.
    So last night I started watching Doc Martin, and WOW!!!
    What an awesome show. I have a bunch of his stuff on queue on Netflix, but am going to work on finishing up the series as well.
    The guy is a great actor, fantastic timing, and those ears...
    Anyone down with the Clunes?!?!?
    Anything I'm missing as far as seeing with him in it?
    I know a few of you peoples are on the other side of the pond, so give it up, lol.
    The only thing that sucks is that most of the shows are only six episodes long a season. I'm sure that's a good thing, since it ends up leaving you wanting more, unlike here where they beat stuff to death before it's over. Unless it's a good show, like Arrested Development...
    Then it gets killed.

Super Moderator

UK
    The six episode series is a common thing here in the UK. Something between 6 and 10 episodes is the norm over here, so we focus on a finite number of shows per series - unlike in America where it's very often 24 episodes. It's just two different ways of doing things, producing two very different vibes.

I'm glad you dug Men Behaving Badly - I used to watch it when I was younger (when it was a tad cheeky to be watching it, considering some of the content). Sometimes UK comedies have a good number of series, but each series still has few episodes ... Red Dwarf for instance. Series 1 through 6 were six episodes a piece, and then series 7 and 8 were eight episodes a piece (and then last year's 3-parted 90 minute special).

So perhaps because of the fewer number of episodes, it's easier for viewers to fixate on a specific favourite episode or two. Two valid ways of doing things on either side of the pond - we go short, sweet and concentrated, while in America you get quantity that can vary (from the sublime, to the uneven, to the downright shite) ... but still, even with our few episode structure, we can still get the odd utter stinker of a series over here.

Sure, you can be left wanting more, but then again it's more special and easier to really obsess over with a smaller number of episodes. A UK show on a boxset can provide multiple back-to-back viewings to obsess over, whereas a season of 24 or whatever provides a one-watch marathon (maybe another viewing somewhere down the line if you really dig the show).

However, there is a middle ground that is quite excellent - the 12 or 13 episode season. I'm watching The Sopranos at the moment of Sky Atlantic (just did episode 4 of season 3) - I've never seen The Sopranos before, but it's freakin' excellent. There's enough time to really explore at a nice pace, but it doesn't drag its heels either ... yeah, I know, I've only just gotten around to watching The Sopranos, but I missed the boat the first time around ... so far though, it's bloody brilliant.

United States
    I'm seriously starting to agree. I'd rather be left wanting than helping beating the fuck out of a dead horse.
    Also, loving Doc Martin. Amazing that a show like this ever existed.

-- -------- Post added 09-Sep-2011 at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-Sep-2011 at 06:35 PM ----------

Wow, just wow. I was already loving the show but now...
    I'm totally recommending it. I just watched the 5th episode of season 1. Call me a pussy if you want, but I got a little misty at the end of it, and I'm not even drunk.
    And that says alot.
    Partly kind of hit home.
    The show smacks faintly of Northern Exposure, times a million. I expected a comedy but got straight up an all around beauty of a show.
    I will someday find the box sets of this. And here I thought I really liked Men Behaving Badly, which I do, but this is a whole different monster.
    Marty's got some serious acting chops, and the rest of the cast...
    Well.
    Just wow. Thankfully, there's not a U.S. version to hate.