Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z - Set video shows running zombies?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    well said. i concur on all points.

and dj, not trying to get into a pissing contest, but my main gripe is that the book didn't have runners, which worked well for many of the main scenes i wanted to see in an epic film. and i personally think that there's almost an over-saturation of silly zombie shit out there, this is just "another one for the fire".
    I know what the book had, but when you're making a $120,000,000 movie, you have to make changes that work with wide audiences. The studio wanted a PG-13 film, be glad you're getting the R version as the book was, yeah so the zombies were changed... shit happens. Nothing you can do about it. It is the 21st century, scary zombies sell, slow ones don't Land proved that at the box office, where Dawn and 28 Days Later showed runners scare the living hell out of people.

I prefer things stick with the book, but the book is a dictionary in thickness, and trying to get this under 2 hours stuff had to be changed and cut... As it stands I had no faith in this project anyway when they hired the dumbass who directed Quantum of Sloace to direct it. The guy sucks... Quantum is a testament to that.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United Kingdom
    I got no problem with runners at all, in the right scenario. Dawn '05 was a good film, the runners worked well, I liked it. I just can't see how they'll keep the basic feel of this book without the traditional shambling hordes.
    Kill 'em All

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Have you read/listened to WWZ yet Neil?
    The question should be: HAS BRAD PITT READ/LISTENED TO WWZ?

I think not. Most likely someone in his "entourage" did and told him how great of a book it is. Hell it could have even been Mel Brook's dad calling in a favor for his son. Pitt had nothing going on (i.e. not in the headlines anymore) so he decides to take up the latest fad, which happens to be zombies.

I have to disagree with DJ's statement:

"You guys need to seriously get over the fact the zombies run. If you want to even see more zombie related product you better support these films."

If you support this kind of b.s. it is going to just result in more b.s. I think it is too late. Look at what already is happening to TWD. Creative controls for non-controversial themes are being completely lost to the MBA desk jockeys who turn everything they touch into crap.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the rage-like movements, but I'm still open to giving the movie a chance.
    true, running zombies do not a bad film make, nor do slow ones mean its remotely anything but dogshit. Take the film how it goes before getting full on buttmad and throwing a defcon five fanboy wobbler.

Administrator

England
    Two things that felt wrong in the video were:-
    1) The guy was attacked, and then instantly the zombie (attacking him) ran off looking for another victim. It's as if its goal was purely to infect someone and then move on ASAP. So it wasn't driven by the desire to feed.
    2) The victim them dying so quickly, before then seemingly being taken over by a 'rage virus'?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yep... Yep...
    Contagion is looking like a better zombie movie all the time...
    Not to be confused with Contagium. That one's cool too, though.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    If you support this kind of b.s. it is going to just result in more b.s. I think it is too late. Look at what already is happening to TWD. Creative controls for non-controversial themes are being completely lost to the MBA desk jockeys who turn everything they touch into crap.
    How is this any different from what the entertainment industry has been since it's creation? Same sh*t different day. There will be good and bad.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Same sh*t different day.
    I think the saying should be, "Same sh*t only DEEPER"

I dunno, I'm a fan of both shamblers and runners, but that clip looked like nothing more than a 28 Days Later raw footage clip.

They're going to get this wrong. They already have. We'll just have to wait to see how wrong they get it when it's done. I can't say I have high hopes, but it seems nowdays I never do anyway, so... par for the course.

Administrator

England
    Well done AICN - Only a day late

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51100
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    They're going to get this wrong. They already have.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Sep-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Runners in WWZ?! For fuck's sake!

Mind you, the plot sounds so warped from the book anyway ... what's next, flying ragers with rainbows shooting out of their bums?

And, of course, let's just re-state the truth - 28 Days Later didn't feature zombies ... they were rage infected human beings who died after a month of being infected ... zombies are dead people, and they don't die of starvation after a month! I really dig that flick, but it's also unleashed running zombies on us - and filmmakers who know fuck all about zombies just watching 28 Days Later and going "oh we'll do that".

One of the key points in zombies is that you can get by a couple of them, but they never cease coming, so if you fart around you'll soon find yourself surrounded - and your fight or flight instincts will kick in, or you'll just flat out crumble under the never-ending encroaching pressure of the zombie hoard that simply want to eat you no matter what ... so you get enough of them, and you're royally screwed ... and that's freaking terrifying!

A guy in a teddy bear costume running at you screaming like a raptor would be 'scary'...

There have been a few flicks with runners in that I've enjoyed, but I'd much prefer that they didn't have runners in them ... and as I said before, when you get a filmmaker who makes a zombie movie but knows nothing about zombies and just watches 28 Days Later (rage infected living humans that die of starvation after a month) and says "that'll do", fucking annoys the shit out of me.

I also have to say that I totally disagree with the sentiment that 'now we have runners, we'll have to stick with them because of mainstream audiences' - give people a good product and they'll dig it. The Walking Dead - featuring SHAMBLERS - has been a huge success and flat out proves that shamblers still work like they always did.

Fuckin' runners man ... *picks nose* ... they piss me off.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    They're going to get this wrong.
    Yes they are, and from what I've seen and heard about it so far comes across as something that's a product of a media and marketing focus group rather than a carefully crafted adaptation. The book (in my opinion at least), is a substantial, high-calibre piece of zombie fiction that's right up there with George's 'Holy Trinity', and there was a chance to craft something truly special out of that could have defined the genre for a whole new generation of kids. But what they're getting is a generic cash-grab and that, more than anything, is just disappointing – I think what we're seeing in these posts are not 'fanboy wobblies', just a real disappointment at what might/should, have been.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WTF was that?! Ultra corny. Seems like they have never seen a zombie movie and are taking all their cues from 28 Days/Weeks Later.

Zombie is running, looking for prey. Zombie finds Guy. Instead of feeding on Guy, Zombie simply bites him and runs off looking for someone else to pester. Instead of taking days for Guy to die/return, he instantly convulses violently as the virus rushes through his veins. Guy stands up, "zombified", and decides to attack a car.

This just reminded me of some straight-up made-for-SyFy bullshit. However, I'll still be a fool and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Great Britain
    I always liked Z.A.Recht's morningstar saga went about having runners and shammblers, he made it that the infected started out as alive, runners and infected, only when they died did they rise up as undead shamblers, unless headshot.

England
    Balls to running zombies BALLS TO RUNNING ZOMBIES!!! AGGGGGGGHHHHHH GRRRRRRRR
    call me a fanboy freaking out, call me old fashioned, call me a pre-emptive judgmental prick but I am sorry, RUNNING ZOMBIES SUCK ASS. FACT. I agree with everything MinionZombie said in the above post about 28 Days Later, they were a new monster (rage infected alive humans) and not zombies.
    Zombies are dead.
    Zombies are the dead come back to life.
    Makes NO SENSE whatsoever to have them run and to have them extra strong. They are DEAD!
    They are not vampires and they are not Frankenstein's monster
    If they can't do it properly then they shouldn't be making zombie films for mainstream people. Why does everything have to be for the F**KING MAINSTREAM??!! UH???

Slow zombies represent something, are a sympathetic monster, they are us, they reflect us and they have meaning. Also zombie films should be about human error and pettiness in the face of adversity not the monster itself. If they are running at you at a mile a minute then all you can do is have the humans running too and it just turns into a running about the place movie, the mistakes are made because of the haste of the decision and not because we are selfish, egotistical, flawed, petty, animals.

Slow zombies are interesting because they give us a chance to know the humans we are following, we have time with the characters and they in turn have time to make mistakes. Plus it's all about the numbers. slow zombie films are about the fact that there are too many of them! that's why they are threatening! just like there are too many of us currently on the planet right now and Hollywood's desire to mass produce media that 'pleases' us all is doing nothing but creating bland, banal, dumb, beige, tedious, unexciting, unchallenging and repetitive crap instead of something with balls!

Screw this for a laugh.

If there are running zombies in it (meaning the dead have come back to life as super heroes) then it is BAD. FACT. Even your precious Dawn 05. BAD CRAP.
    BRUCE CAMPBELL IS GOD
    from a lover of Evil Dead, Zombies, Cult, Exploitation, B-Movies, Action and Comedy

My Movie Review blog - http://aftermoviediner.blogspot.com
    My AMD podcast can be found on iTunes if you search After Movie Diner and at http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/110745
    the podcast blog: http://amdpodcast.blogspot.com/
    or on Facebook under The Podcast from the After Movie Diner and follow me on twitter @aftermoviediner