Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: World War Z - Set video shows running zombies?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I feel this is the top speed a zombie should ever reach, I think he was too animated when smashing things though. I also think the older the walker the slower it should be. Also zombies that scale fences, ladders, fire weapons and so forth is just plain annoying.

With my finger smashed wit ha hammer it is numb, and I find it hard to pull a trigger on a nail gun I can not imagine if I was suffering through rigor, or decay...
    All very true. I also noticed that after sitting in a weird position for a long time, my leg tends to falls asleep. The funny part kicks in when I attempt to stand up and especially so when I attempt to walk (CRASH BANG OW!!!). I can't imagine what it would be like to be a zed with absolutely no blood circulation whatsoever.

We have to suspend reality just a bit whenever we consider what zombies physically can or cannot do I think. Besides, everybody digs Bub chasing Rhodes in Day of the Dead, right?
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 04-Nov-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Super Moderator

United States
    A lot of sacred calves in the genre.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    We're already suspending our disbelief sufficiently,
    Know how I know this? The fact that enjoyable Survival Horror films have been made that didn't and still do not require any additional suspension of disbelief have already been made. More suspension of disbelief just ends up translating into scriptwriters and directors putting even LESS work/energy/thought into the Zombie Movies they crank out.

Romero complains because supposedly 99% of Zombie Movie fans want him to remake the Original Dead Trilogy over and over, when that's simply NOT the case. I don't want Dawn remade (again), I want a movie of Dawn of the Dead's quality made. Not something that has zombies launching underwater Seal Team 6 night-raids on the last idiotic fragment of humanity, NOT a buncha young adult caricatures of college kids playing Let's Make Another Crappy Blair Witch Knockoff, and CERTAINLY NOT a severely inbred lovechild of a Hatfields Vs. McCoys blood-feud and every possible offensive stereotype and generalization of the Irish,.....with Zombies.

NONE of these movies get better if we become willing to believe that Crap is not, in point of fact, CRAP. Making a good Zombie Movie isn't rocket science. Step #1: Assemble a cast of unknown/almost unknown actors that can actually, you know, ACT. Actors that can take their characters and make us feel anything other than a longing for the zombies to hurry up and eat these lame-asses already. Make us CARE what happens to the characters, and CARE about what they're trying to accomplish. (Hint: If that "Whatever they're trying to accomplish" isn't retarded, it's a damned sight easier to make us care about it.)

Step #2: Don't go cheap on your makeup and makeup prosthetics guys. Doing so leads to the necessity of using more and more badly-spliced-in CGI effects. Spend a bit more up front, and you'll not only save money on the back end, people will actually become *gasp* IMMERSED IN your characters struggles to eliminate the zombies trying to eat their intestines. Go watch TWD for a few hours, then you'll get the idea on this Step.

Step #3: The Characters don't need to be Supercop or Ex-elite-military-unit badasses. A) It's implausible, and B) Regular people with enough common sense to think of ONE TENTH of the ideas that occur to a viewer on their first viewing are much more entertaining to watch. Less flash-in-the-pan, and generate more respect for the Characters from We the Audience if you have them engaged in a survival effort that someone whose seen 10+ zombie movie can't poke 50 plot-holes and inconsistencies in with 30 seconds thought.

Step #4: Repeat after me Scriptwriters & Directors: "I don't need Zombies that might as well be wearing capes and tights with red-and-yellow SZs emblazoned on their chests. I DO NEED to provide for a believable, at least semi-realistic, relatively straightforward Main Goal for the characters to struggle to achieve while fending off zombies. It can be a workable escape plan from a siege-situation, reaching a Place of Safety the Characters have learned of somewhere a good distance away from where they are now, finding somewhere somewhat ORIGINAL but nevertheless BELIEVABLE as a long-term refuge from the Zombie Apocalypse (Heck, Do Day in reverse. Have the characters trying to get INTO instead of OUT OF say, a decommissioned but structurally-intact government Bunker, like the one below the Greenbrier Hotel, for example). Rule of Thumb: If the guy who brings you lunch says "Yea, that's cool. I'd go see that" when you hit him with a plot synopsis, you're in business.

Step 5: Avoid like Cougars with Genital Herpes any genre-mixing. No, ninjas/vampires/mummies/the Loch Ness Monster will NOT make your Zombie Movie cooler, just retarded. If your plot doesn't work with Good Humans, Bad Humans, Ambiguous Humans and LOTS OF ZOMBIES, toss it in the circular files where it belongs and start again.

Last and finally, Step 6: Downer "Everybody Dies" endings do NOT make crappy movies a) profound, b) darker, c) scarier, or d) more interesting. The Everyone Dies, and the slight variant Everyone Dies Except 1 Plucky Protagonist, who ALSO dies a split-second before the movie ends when an unseen or thought-to-be-terminated Zombie grabs them and starts chewing as they scream and the screen fades to black, have been DONE TO DEAD, resurrected, and beaten to an unrecognizable, fan-infuriating pulp by legions of hack scriptwriters. No, YOUR VERSION is NOT THE EXCEPTION.

Now tell me guys, have you EVER seen a truly enjoyable Zombie Movie that ignores more than 1 of these 6 Rules?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Know how I know this?
    Because you have an opinion that says so?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    Hmm,
    I rather thought the entire "Successful Zombie Movies exist that didn't require any additional suspension of disbelief" was a cogent, well-reasoned argument. Then again, what do I know?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Because you have an opinion that says so?
    lmao
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Know how I know this? The fact that enjoyable Survival Horror films have been made that didn't and still do not require any additional suspension of disbelief have already been made. More suspension of disbelief just ends up translating into scriptwriters and directors putting even LESS work/energy/thought into the Zombie Movies they crank out.

Romero complains because supposedly 99% of Zombie Movie fans want him to remake the Original Dead Trilogy over and over, when that's simply NOT the case. I don't want Dawn remade (again), I want a movie of Dawn of the Dead's quality made. Not something that has zombies launching underwater Seal Team 6 night-raids on the last idiotic fragment of humanity, NOT a buncha young adult caricatures of college kids playing Let's Make Another Crappy Blair Witch Knockoff, and CERTAINLY NOT a severely inbred lovechild of a Hatfields Vs. McCoys blood-feud and every possible offensive stereotype and generalization of the Irish,.....with Zombies.

NONE of these movies get better if we become willing to believe that Crap is not, in point of fact, CRAP. Making a good Zombie Movie isn't rocket science. Step #1: Assemble a cast of unknown/almost unknown actors that can actually, you know, ACT. Actors that can take their characters and make us feel anything other than a longing for the zombies to hurry up and eat these lame-asses already. Make us CARE what happens to the characters, and CARE about what they're trying to accomplish. (Hint: If that "Whatever they're trying to accomplish" isn't retarded, it's a damned sight easier to make us care about it.)

Step #2: Don't go cheap on your makeup and makeup prosthetics guys. Doing so leads to the necessity of using more and more badly-spliced-in CGI effects. Spend a bit more up front, and you'll not only save money on the back end, people will actually become *gasp* IMMERSED IN your characters struggles to eliminate the zombies trying to eat their intestines. Go watch TWD for a few hours, then you'll get the idea on this Step.

Step #3: The Characters don't need to be Supercop or Ex-elite-military-unit badasses. A) It's implausible, and B) Regular people with enough common sense to think of ONE TENTH of the ideas that occur to a viewer on their first viewing are much more entertaining to watch. Less flash-in-the-pan, and generate more respect for the Characters from We the Audience if you have them engaged in a survival effort that someone whose seen 10+ zombie movie can't poke 50 plot-holes and inconsistencies in with 30 seconds thought.

Step #4: Repeat after me Scriptwriters & Directors: "I don't need Zombies that might as well be wearing capes and tights with red-and-yellow SZs emblazoned on their chests. I DO NEED to provide for a believable, at least semi-realistic, relatively straightforward Main Goal for the characters to struggle to achieve while fending off zombies. It can be a workable escape plan from a siege-situation, reaching a Place of Safety the Characters have learned of somewhere a good distance away from where they are now, finding somewhere somewhat ORIGINAL but nevertheless BELIEVABLE as a long-term refuge from the Zombie Apocalypse (Heck, Do Day in reverse. Have the characters trying to get INTO instead of OUT OF say, a decommissioned but structurally-intact government Bunker, like the one below the Greenbrier Hotel, for example). Rule of Thumb: If the guy who brings you lunch says "Yea, that's cool. I'd go see that" when you hit him with a plot synopsis, you're in business.

Step 5: Avoid like Cougars with Genital Herpes any genre-mixing. No, ninjas/vampires/mummies/the Loch Ness Monster will NOT make your Zombie Movie cooler, just retarded. If your plot doesn't work with Good Humans, Bad Humans, Ambiguous Humans and LOTS OF ZOMBIES, toss it in the circular files where it belongs and start again.

Last and finally, Step 6: Downer "Everybody Dies" endings do NOT make crappy movies a) profound, b) darker, c) scarier, or d) more interesting. The Everyone Dies, and the slight variant Everyone Dies Except 1 Plucky Protagonist, who ALSO dies a split-second before the movie ends when an unseen or thought-to-be-terminated Zombie grabs them and starts chewing as they scream and the screen fades to black, have been DONE TO DEAD, resurrected, and beaten to an unrecognizable, fan-infuriating pulp by legions of hack scriptwriters. No, YOUR VERSION is NOT THE EXCEPTION.

Now tell me guys, have you EVER seen a truly enjoyable Zombie Movie that ignores more than 1 of these 6 Rules?
    Wow really well put.

United States
    I'll see the movie when it comes out, it cant be much worse than the book..I read about 1/2 of the book and that was all I could stand...and I really really really wanted to like & enjoy the book after reading so many great comments about wwz here.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.