Super Moderator

UK
    New tech trailer - cinematic style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pk3wYVu1og&hd=1

Administrator

England
    ^^
    o_m_g_!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^
    o_m_g_!
    So I take it you're impressed just a smidge then?

I'll certainly play Max Payne 3 at some point, but not a day one purchase for me ... especially as I've just splashed out a few hundred quid for a new computer, hehe.

But it does look pretty good. The attention to detail in combat and body movement is particularly impressive and it's something they've been progressively working on over the years in recent titles, from GTA IV to RDR to L.A. Noire and now to Max Payne 3. It really helps towards immersion when your character moves how you'd imagine they should. Dodgy animations can be a real killer when it comes to believability - unless the game is deliberately silly (e.g. Saints Row 3, but even in that the animations were far advanced from SR2, and suited the OTT style perfectly).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So I take it you're impressed just a smidge then?

I'll certainly play Max Payne 3 at some point, but not a day one purchase for me ... especially as I've just splashed out a few hundred quid for a new computer, hehe.

But it does look pretty good. The attention to detail in combat and body movement is particularly impressive and it's something they've been progressively working on over the years in recent titles, from GTA IV to RDR to L.A. Noire and now to Max Payne 3. It really helps towards immersion when your character moves how you'd imagine they should. Dodgy animations can be a real killer when it comes to believability - unless the game is deliberately silly (e.g. Saints Row 3, but even in that the animations were far advanced from SR2, and suited the OTT style perfectly).
    It's not always realism - Half the fun of Max Payne 2 was the epic ragdoll physics. ie: Just blowing enemies around a room with your guns. Utterly unrealistic, but hugely fun

I hear good things about Saints Row 3
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    It's not always realism - Half the fun of Max Payne 2 was the epic ragdoll physics. ie: Just blowing enemies around a room with your guns. Utterly unrealistic, but hugely fun

I hear good things about Saints Row 3
    True that actually, I remember fondly shooting guys up into the air with grenades and watching all the physics do their work as debris spewed everywhere and they crashed down uncomfortably to the ground.

Saints Row 3 is hella fun. Very few mis-steps with that game, and a vast improvement over SR2. I enjoyed the crap out of SR3 - very good for just having a bloody good crazy time - so hopefully SR4 will indeed go ahead as the creators said that the fourth would be even more mental.

Administrator

England
    True that actually, I remember fondly shooting guys up into the air with grenades and watching all the physics do their work as debris spewed everywhere and they crashed down uncomfortably to the ground.

Saints Row 3 is hella fun. Very few mis-steps with that game, and a vast improvement over SR2. I enjoyed the crap out of SR3 - very good for just having a bloody good crazy time - so hopefully SR4 will indeed go ahead as the creators said that the fourth would be even more mental.
    In a couple of sentences what is SR3? Is it similar to Max Payne or GTA in anyway?
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    In a couple of sentences what is SR3? Is it similar to Max Payne or GTA in anyway?
    SR3 is more GTA - kinda like it used to be before it went all serious, it feels like the whole game was designed around having OTT fun. It's hard not to love a game that has you involved in shoot-outs, drugged up to the eyeballs and stark bollock naked... livin' the dream...

Super Moderator

UK
    It's like GTA, but with the silliness turned up to 11. Some of the things you can get up to are as follows - running around as a huge-boobed babe completely starkers - flying around in a jet that fires a laser - leap into a car through the window to save time doing it the Niko Belic way - attack a massive cloud-base fortress - take on waves of Furries in a side-mission battle - whack people in the bollocks with a rocket launcher - kill people with a giant purple dildo - invade an underground sex club and escape on a Rickshaw while being pursued by other Rickshaws piloted by 'ponied up' sex slaves - attack a boat off the coast to free crate-loads of prostitutes - yomp around in a tank or attack helicopter and cause loads of havoc - and generally be an utterly barmy bastard.

For a brief review, see below:

Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Mar-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99gjWK6hYxw&hd=1

Looking pretty spiffing actually ... still won't buy it full price (gotta keep the belt tight for the foreseeable future), but will definitely buy it on sale down the line.

Administrator

England
    It's available for pre-order so I'm VERY tempted!

-Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    ^^

Go on, you know you want to ... then you can review it for your fellow HPOTD'ers.

Administrator

England
    Behold the power of the PC!

Click here for full size - http://www.cdn.actiontrip.com/images...axpayne338.jpg

-- -------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

TV trailer:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPc9LhKA5C4
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw the PC spec requirements earlier today - absolutely insane - no wonder I turned to console gaming a few years back!

Loving the level of detail they've invested into character movement. It's good to see this cross-franchise development going into Rockstar's games, by which I mean, look at the movement mechanics used in GTA IV, then in Red Dead Redemption, and now in Max Payne 3 - there's a constant evolution of the tech to make it better and better, which I personally find really exciting.

Administrator

England
    I saw the PC spec requirements earlier today - absolutely insane - no wonder I turned to console gaming a few years back!
    The PC I built for a reasonable amount FOUR years ago, and not upgraded since, still plays every game I own on maximum, and is higher spec than those Max Payne 3 requirements!

I would say the only thing that hits me as outlandish is the disc requirements, which must be some sort of mis-print: 35GB!?

FYI: That's with a £100 CPU and a £180 graphics card (as of four years ago), an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz (overclocked to 3.4Ghz) with a Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB

The moment that machine has problems I'll get a new graphics card to give it a lot more umph.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan