Thread: Kelis, ever heard the phrase, 'actions speak louder than words?'

Administrator

England

Kelis, ever heard the phrase, 'actions speak louder than words?'

So Kelis is kicking off declaring, 'racial issues in the UK are disgusting.'

She judges this from a run in with one person...

The star was flying from London to Spain after performing at Bestival on the Isle of Wight.

She wrote on Twitter that she had been criticised by a "50-year-old man" after she jumped the queue while going through passport control.

She said the man had called her a "slave" and a "disgusting Nigerian".

Kelis said she was also called "Kunta Kinte" - a black character from Alex Haley's slavery novel Roots.

The 32-year-old singer continued: "I didn't say anything at the time of the riots in London for a lot of reasons.

"It's [the UK] racially decades behind progression because everything is swept under the rug. People don't talk about it.

"People don't fight about it. Not mentioning a problem doesn't make it go away."

Officials from the Home Office say they won't be investigating the claims as they believe the abuser was a member of the public and they haven't received a complaint from her.
    Of course, no mention of the cause of the whole matter, her queue jumping. IMHO this of course is comparible to her in effect spitting in everyone else face in the queue... I hate queue jumpers! Very rude and ignorant! Actions speaker louder than words in my book!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States

You don't Cut in line!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Ireland
    I wonder, if it was REALLY "Kunta Kinte", or was it just "Kunt...".
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    I wasn't sure who this was, but quickly googled her and a couple things to note:

1) Celebrity and free publicity is always great
    2) From the US where race is a prevalent, hot button issue and an easy card to throw
    3) Seems like a big mouth who has had run-ins with the law (for using racial slurs herself, purportedly).

She got called a name by someone who percieved she was cutting in line? Boo hoo Not right if it was racial in nature, but I'm quite certain it's hardly indicative of the whole of the complex social issues relating to race in the UK.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Not right if it was racial in nature, but I'm quite certain it's hardly indicative of the whole of the complex social issues relating to race in the UK.
    Where as jumping a queue seems to make a fairly clear statement about her!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    She's a 'sleb so naturally whatever she says is 100% fact and couldn't possibly be exaggerated or blown up into something it probably wasn't!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Where as jumping a queue seems to make a fairly clear statement about her!
    Well we Brits do form an orderly que, and take our que forming very seriously - even rioters last month were seen to form orderly ques going into the likes of JJB Sports to loot apparently!

Daft bint shouldn't have jumped the que - that's no excuse for someone to, allegedly, call her a racial slur ... however if he did just call her a general name then fair play. Don't be skipping forward in a que, especially not in the UK.

I wouldn't have said that race is a spectacularly hot button issue - I mean, I don't think a Prime Minister being black (or half black half white) would be such a big deal here. I mean the Americans have never had a female President, but we had a female leader of the Opposition by the mid 70s who became a female Conservative Party PM by 1979 - back when women's place in society was very different to what it is today. The problem we have in the UK is immigration - it's been mishandled and treated inappropriately by different sides in different ways, and really if there is any rumbling problem - in certain sectors of society - it's xenophobia, not racism.

Isn't Kelis the one that did that shockingly shit song that went something like "I hate you so much right now, I hate you so much right now, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH!" ... christ that track sucked balls.

Anyway - no excuse to call anyone a racial slur, if that's indeed what happened, but Kelis can fuck off tarring an entire nation as a bunch of racists in a wildly OTT fashion.

What does seem to be a fact though is that she jumped the que - and you don't jump ques in the UK, lady.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    .....who?