Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asteroid to fly by Earth in November - Visible to naked eye

Administrator

England

Asteroid to fly by Earth in November - Visible to naked eye

http://www.universetoday.com/85360/t...h-in-november/

A large space rock will pass close to Earth on November 8, 2011 and astronomers are anticipating the chance to see asteroid 2005 YU55 close up. Just like meteorites offer a free “sample return” mission from space, this close flyby is akin to sending a spacecraft to fly by an asteroid – just like how the Rosetta mission recently flew by asteroid Lutetia – but this time, no rocket is required. Astronomers are making sure Spaceship Earth will have all available resources trained on 2005 YU55 as it makes its closest approach, and this might be a chance for you to see the asteroid for yourself, as well.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Y U 55?!
    But seriously, this is excellent news! *Runs off to go tell Twilight Sparkle*

United States
    A couple scary things: one they said was that this is the closest anything's going to get until 2028. How much freaking closer can you get without messing things up?!?!?
    The other thing was how close to the moon this thing is supposed to get. Heck, it looks like it's going to be a third closer than the moon at some point. Yikes.
    And how close would this thing actually have to get before our gravity would swing it around another direction, maybe in our future path?
    Scary stuff to me, especially to know doom is possibly hurtling at you like that. They'd probably even be able to tell you the exact second it's going to hit.

Visible to the nekked eye? They should put some strobe light action or whatever on that badboy and play trance music all over the world as it flies by.
    Untz, untz. untz-untz-untz.

Administrator

England
    Our gravity will affect its path, but not by much as it's going by so fast!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    The other thing was how close to the moon this thing is supposed to get. Heck, it looks like it's going to be a third closer than the moon at some point.

Visible to the nekked eye? They should put some strobe light action or whatever on that badboy and play trance music all over the world as it flies by.
    Untz, untz. untz-untz-untz.
    its closest approach to earth will be about 201,000 miles. about 50,000 miles closer to earth than the moon. not much to worry about with this one.

Apophis is going to be much more interesting for sure.
    Last edited by Mike70; 23-Sep-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: s
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    We should blow it up.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Super Moderator

United States
    And risk turning one dangerous falling object into many?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    We should blow it up.
    absolutely, positively the worst idea to the deal with an incoming asteriod. there isn't a worse way to attempt to stop one.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    pfft. Armageddon proved that blowing it up is the best possible action. In Michael Bay I trust.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    absolutely, positively the worst idea to the deal with an incoming asteriod. there isn't a worse way to attempt to stop one.
    Yeah, if anyone said anything about it hitting us. But this one is just passing by. Hence why we should blow it up. Send a message to the universe. "Stay off our lawn." And it'd be cool.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Anyone?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post

Anyone?
    HA! great 80s flick. i guess we all should be seeking shelter in (wasn't it steel?) bldgs.
    Last edited by Mike70; 24-Sep-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: s

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hey, wtf? Why'd my picture get changed?! I had posted a shot from the movie of the zombie cop grabbing Samantha.

But, yeah Mike, it was steel.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Hey, wtf? Why'd my picture get changed?! I had posted a shot from the movie of the zombie cop grabbing Samantha.

But, yeah Mike, it was steel.
    Sorry, that was me. Your image wasn't working, so I found what I thought you meant to post. Soz!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ah, quite right ol' chap!