Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asteroid to fly by Earth in November - Visible to naked eye

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Apophis will be so close, it would be close enough to knock out geostationary satellites!
    I know! It's crazy, eh?

(However it won't due to the trajectory of its path.)
    I haven't checked on any updated info on the flight path/impact risk path in a while...is this up to date info, Neil?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I was reading about this in the paper today, and I thought about this thread. They said it was the closest asteroid since the 70's or something. I was like, "Wait a second here. What about that one they talked about in that thread?"
    Now I realise they are one and the same. I just wanted to share that, lol. I just got my net back today since the weekend. Woops, gotta pay those bills...
    Back in 2029, and closer? Scary. I guess it wouldn't matter much since it'd hit and I'd probably die pretty quick. I also guess, maybe if nothing was going to save me anyway, maybe I'd rather just not know.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I know! It's crazy, eh?

I haven't checked on any updated info on the flight path/impact risk path in a while...is this up to date info, Neil?
    i keep up with space related stuff pretty closely. apophis will undoubtedly miss the earth on 13 apr 2029 but if it passes within a 600-1 km "keyhole" in space, then the probability that it WILL strike the earth on 13 apr 2036 becomes a real problem to worry about.

more on apophis' pass in 2029:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/
    Last edited by Mike70; 10-Nov-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i keep up with space related stuff pretty closely. apophis will undoubtedly miss the earth on 13 apr 2029 but if it passes within a 600-1 km "keyhole" in space, then the probability that it WILL strike the earth on 13 apr 2036 becomes a real problem to worry about.

more on apophis' pass in 2029:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/
    And then 7yrs to do something about it, isn't long...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I wonder how many fairly intelligent civilisations on other worlds have been wiped out by such asteroid strikes through the history of the universe?

It kind of sucks that at our level of progress, we can see it coming, know what the results will be but be totally unable to do anything about it.

It would also be ironic that our banning nukes from space to save the world from nuke destruction has severely limited our options to defend aganst such asteroid strikes (via nukes themselves or nuclear powered space craft).

We really need to be putting something in place now, not waiting until 2029 or beyond to see if the odds get even grimmer. Maybe a new world order single global governmant isn't such a shitty idea after all.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 11-Nov-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon