Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faster than light travel?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    confirmed! well pretty much. the test has been run again with the same results. the neutrinos arrive 6 billionths of second faster than light. 15,000 observations over 3 years. looks like there might be a new form of physics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    confirmed! well pretty much. the test has been run again with the same results. the neutrinos arrive 6 billionths of second faster than light. 15,000 observations over 3 years. looks like there might be a new form of physics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236
    See post #5
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    See post #5
    you would have to come along and rain on my parade.

on a serious note: i failed to see that link in #5 because i was deep into reading the back and forth between yourself and kaos. didn't even notice it. until now.

my bad on the double post.

this is a fascinating subject though that i spent quite a bit of time looking into and reading up on.

this is like the 75th time you've beaten me to the punch on a science post. damn that 5 hours ahead thingy...

Administrator

England
    The bar man says, 'sorry we don't server neutrinos here!'

A faster than light neutrino walks into a bar...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The bar man says, 'sorry we don't server neutrinos here!'

A faster than light neutrino walks into a bar...
    (and stealing, by the way)

Considering technological advancement is now more-or-less considered exponentially growing, we might see some uses of this in our lifetime. However, what intrigues me the most are the repercussions this will have on quantum physics.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    (and stealing, by the way)

Considering technological advancement is now more-or-less considered exponentially growing, we might see some uses of this in our lifetime. However, what intrigues me the most are the repercussions this will have on quantum physics.
    i imagine we'll get a big bang theory episode where sheldons degree is now null and void

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    . However, what intrigues me the most are the repercussions this will have on quantum physics.
    me too. one of my fav topics of discussion/reading/investigation.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    me too. one of my fav topics of discussion/reading/investigation.
    Well, let's not get carried away as the results still have to be confirmed yet!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    not carried away so much as fascination with the subject. anything to do with space travel, astronomy, particle physics, quantum mechanics, etc. have been lifelong interests of mine.

Super Moderator

Germany
    I usually make an effort to qualify my statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Duh, both exotic and expensive (initially) and it will happen (if FTL is possible) long before travel.
    In any event, even if the neutrinos can travel faster than light the significance of this is not that neutrinos would be used for FTL communication, it would be that the constraints (No Communication Theory) that are currently placed around quantum communication that Mike70 was talking about may be artificial. It could mean that all theoretical FTL constraints that are built into the mathematics of many models in physics would have to be revisited and reworked.

The mere prospect that we could be approaching a revolution in physics that is possibly even more profound than what happened with Einstein around the turn of the last century is exciting. If it actually happens then it would be mind-blowing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    The mere prospect that we could be approaching a revolution in physics that is possibly even more profound than what happened with Einstein around the turn of the last century is exciting. If it actually happens then it would be mind-blowing.
    indeed. the possibilites that could be opened by a new type of physics (or even a modification/tweaking) of the existing models are mind boggling and of central importance in human understanding of the basic underlying principles of the universe.

our next topic of conversation should be the holographic principle and how it may apply to the universe as a whole. just throwing an idea out there.