Thread: Help me find a PC

United States

Help me find a PC

Hello everyone,

I just recently got my refund check for school/student aid stuff.. And I'd like to use it to upgrade my old desktop.

I don't want it to be a super strong gaming PC, just something that can easily play some Counter Strike source, or the new version of CSS, CIV 5 and that sort of thing. I'd look myself, but I've been so far out of the loop when it comes to hardware I don't have any idea...

Around 5-600 dollarish if that's possible. I can spend a little more if needed. Any recommendations?
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

United States
    http://www.buy.com/prod/gateway-dx48...220738472.html

Decent PC, not certain what the warranty is though

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    My advice is to avoid the consumer market altogether, apart from choosing a graphics card. I can't stress this enough, server grade hardware or bust....consumer stuff lasts 3 months before being out specced, is shitty build quality, and just generally sucks for reliability.

But this....? Well....

HP xw8600 = £300 barebones (£700 mid spec with one or two processors)
    Processors = depends, I picked up a 283ghz quad for £130 with heatsink (which you can't use, you need a proprietary heatsink for processors which costs about £30)
    Ram = £20 for 4gb (2x2gb) from ebay - spec it with up to 16gb on one processor, up to 128gb on two processors.
    Graphics card = GTX 460 £100

So you'd probably build a sick fuckin' PC for about $1000 bucks I reckon....but trust me it'll outlast and outperform what I'm about to spec you now...

My other recommendation:

Buy an x58 motherboard with 8gb DDR3 Ram, a GTX 460, and onboard sound and that'll reach your budget no problems. Get a good BIG case with lots of air flow...LOTS AND LOTS.
    PSU needs to be over 450w (supplied PSU on the xw8600 is 1050w). You can get something of that spec with about £300 if you shop clever...

-- -------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

In fact, check this ebay auction - this is a specced one with processors etc for £757 - which probably equals about $1000 bucks
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nice-HP-xw...item3a67b8fcb5

here's another, specced well and under your budget requirments:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-XW8600-...item35b4217c96

anyway that's my recommendation, which is what I'm running now, and it really is the dogs nuts. Hoping not to hear back from other members here regarding the "not as new" processors as the intel i7s. These processors have 12mb cache and 1333mhz bus speed and it regularly outperforms the i7 equivilant.

the only bad thing about this system is the lack of DDR3, and no SLI capabilities.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 30-Sep-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: werwerwerwer
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    My PC has died this week, my money is on it being the main board but rather than mess around with it myself I've taken it into a shop to be fixed. Anyway I've been thinking about upgrading my processor for a while and it looks like this will force me to seen as if I'm changing the mobo I may as well go the full hog, so I may go for this deal
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/m...a.html#reviews

or a core i7, but they are far more expensive...

United States
    If you build your own instead of buying a branded or even un-branded pre-built machine, you'll get a LOT more bang for your buck. That is if you're willing and knowledgeable enough to do it. If not, there are plenty of machines out there that can cover your needs as SymphonicX pointed out with his links.

If you are like me and like getting your hands dirty and building it yourself, let me know and I'll throw some suggestions out there. I would do it now, but I don't want to bore you with a bunch of parts listings and suggestions if you'd rather go the pre-built way.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    My PC has died this week, my money is on it being the main board but rather than mess around with it myself I've taken it into a shop to be fixed. Anyway I've been thinking about upgrading my processor for a while and it looks like this will force me to seen as if I'm changing the mobo I may as well go the full hog, so I may go for this deal
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/m...a.html#reviews

or a core i7, but they are far more expensive...
    I'd highly recommend you a HP z800 system.
    Might be a bit too expensive at the moment though....
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I'd highly recommend you a HP z800 system.
    Might be a bit too expensive at the moment though....
    Yeah I'm not awash with coin at the moment but I can probably spend about £400 or so which is going to include upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 as well, I think coupled with my existing RAM & gfx card it should beef it up enough for another couple of years!