Thread: So then, Amanda Knox, what do you think?

England

So then, Amanda Knox, what do you think?

So now she has been cleared and freed, and is set to make millions on Meredith Kerchers death by selling her story, what do people on here think of this case? I think Knox knows exactly what happened that night, even if she didnt wield the knife herself, she was there and involved. The fact she tried to pin the blame on somebody else for it (who was later cleared) and the fact that she was doing handstands and cartwheels in the police station after being arrested on suspicion of the murder of somebody who was supposed to be a friend, just reeks of guilt or mental problems to me. Its just a shame the Italians botched the investigation and left loopholes which Knox's family & lawyers have clearly used to their advantage...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    So now she has been cleared and freed, and is set to make millions on Meredith Kerchers death by selling her story, what do people on here think of this case? I think Knox knows exactly what happened that night, even if she didnt wield the knife herself, she was there and involved. The fact she tried to pin the blame on somebody else for it (who was later cleared) and the fact that she was doing handstands and cartwheels in the police station after being arrested on suspicion of the murder of somebody who was supposed to be a friend, just reeks of guilt or mental problems to me. Its just a shame the Italians botched the investigation and left loopholes which Knox's family & lawyers have clearly used to their advantage...
    Personally I don't believe any of this hype around this shit. Cartwheels in the interview room? Really? Would anyone do that, under any circumstances? Personally, if she did do that, surely that denotes that she's if anything, not guilty. No one looking at 30 years to life would be that happy if they'd knew they'd done something.

If this was a mental illness issue, that would have come out.
    No, the Italian justice system has painted her as a she devil, demonising her and using their fiercly conservative antiquated (almost medieval) witch huntery to create a massive drama that we can all get involved in and enjoy.

It was nothing to do with the murder, nothing to do with justice. It was just about good TV and a cracking good murder mystery - at the expense of an innocent's life. The whole thing stinks, and regardless if she was involved or not - the truth is, the Italians fucked up that investigation, botched the whole thing, which has either locked up an innocent unfairly, or let a killer loose on the streets with no justice. Most of that trial was simple character assassination.

This kind of political farce isn't the only time this has happened in Italy. The whole thing stinks of the Madeline McCann investigation in Portugal, with idiots and religious nutters taking over an investigation and placing blame and guilt on a suspicious party whilst the real investigation wanes and withers into obscurity. Now the truth is lost.

Amanda Knox is a fox though....howwwwwwlll..I'd let her slit my throat and fuck with my bra clasp anyday. But that's why we've seen so much of this...because Amanda Knox is a looker. That's all. Make no bones about it, the only reasons this has gotten half of the attention that it already has is because of the sexed up nature of the defendants and the victim, and of course, the crime. It's got all the ingredients of a George Stark novel (ring any bells?) - so the public have lapped this one up now for a good four years. Time to move on. The Italians have lost the killer, fucked up the evidence, and essentially played this whole thing like a political game. It's disgraceful. And you can see the gritted teeth of the Kercher family who have been told outright to say "we respect the court's decisions" to the media. No they don't, they feel, like most of us, that the whole thing is an embarassing sharade which has brought them no closer to finding out who killed Meredith. You can see it in their eyes yet it's going to cause no end of trouble speaking out about how botched and pathetic this investigation was.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 05-Oct-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: I was gonna write something important...but I forgot.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

UK
    This whole thing is as murky as hell.

Regardless of whether she did it or not there seems to be only two conclusions that can be drawn from this whole sorry episode. The first is that if you're rich enough you can get away with murder (cough, cough, OJ...). The second is that justice is is only for the wealthy – basically she's only been found innocent because, from what I understand, her family spent a heck of a lot of money proving it, which in itself raises some serious questions and brings us back to the first conclusion. Pay someone enough and they'll obviously find evidence to support your claims. If you're innocent you'll move heaven and earth to prove it, likewise if you're guilty you'll move heaven and earth to get away with it. Even Columbo would have his work cut out on this one.

Oh, and one more thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Amanda Knox is a fox though....howwwwwwlll..
    Not trying to paint you guys across the pond as shallow but from what I've seen in interviews, the message I'm getting is that the only evidence that needs considering in this case is that she's a good looking white American woman and therefore incapable of committing such a crime. Had she been butt-ugly just how convinced of her innocence would the general public over there be? Makes you wonder...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post

Not trying to paint you guys across the pond as shallow but from what I've seen in interviews, the message I'm getting is that the only evidence that needs considering in this case is that she's a good looking white American woman and therefore incapable of committing such a crime. Had she been butt-ugly just how convinced of her innocence would the general public over there be? Makes you wonder...
    Nah, that's humanity in general. I won't say that everyone knows there's a certain inequity in media coverage and public interest with regards to these sorts of things, but I think the people who don't see it manifest in some way or another are definitely the outliers.

A lot of the reaction that you refer to comes from inverse expectations and an empathy drawn from commonality.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    if anyone can be bothered to step away from media hoopla these days and actually take a look at the case, they would find that there were serious, serious problems with the both the behavior of the prosecutors and in the investigation done by the police. serious problems. i'm not going to spend my time or day arguing about this. take a look. divorce your mind from the media and consider the actual evidence, the way it was gathered and the way it was presented to the original jury. huge problems.

i've been a juror a couple of times and have sent people to prison for long stretches. it doesn't matter to me how pretty someone is or how wealthy they are. it requires a cold, cold look (which because of my personality i'm good at) at the actual evidence. EVERYONE is entitled to a fair trial. EVERYONE. period and no exceptions.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Erm....I dunno what you're reading....! Certainly not the post you truncated for a quote....I never said I thought she was innocent...read again. I said I don't know. And I said because of the Italian "investigation" of this crime, the truth has been lost. All I'm saying about her good looks is that this crime is sexed up and therefore a great bit of entertainment for the rabble in the pit, as Shakespeare used to say, and that's what has made this so unbelievably popular. I don't think people would think she's guilty if she was butt ugly - but I do think people wouldn't give a fuck either way if she was. That's all I'm saying.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    I read in the paper today that the judge from the trial still believes Knox knows what happened and maybe she is guilty, but from a legal standpoint it couldnt be proved in court and so he had to free her. Must be terrible for Merediths family as they will never get to find out what happened unless Knox or one of the others involved accidently lets slip some info in the future. One things for sure she didnt slit her own throat...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I read in the paper today that the judge from the trial still believes Knox knows what happened and maybe she is guilty, but from a legal standpoint it couldnt be proved in court and so he had to free her. Must be terrible for Merediths family as they will never get to find out what happened unless Knox or one of the others involved accidently lets slip some info in the future. One things for sure she didnt slit her own throat...
    True dat!!!

I've been trying for years in this job to slit my own throat!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Like Casey Anthony? No, people are obsessed with attractive young women accused of horrible crimes, period.

-- -------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    True dat!!!

I've been trying for years in this job to slit my own throat!
    Then you're doing it wrong.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    lolololol poor vitamin guy! Lucky he never had my job...he'd have a neck like venetian blinds...