Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiots in the cinema...

England

Idiots in the cinema...

So I went to see "Dont be afraid of the dark" last night as per the horror section, but while in the cinema there was a big group of teenagers, mostly girls but a few lads, all talking loudly right the way through the film as well as playing with their phones & laughing loudly among themselves, I was very close to shouting "Will you lot shut the fuck up" across the cinema but managed to hold my tongue so has anyone else had a similar experience and did you do anything about it?

Undisclosed
    The best thing to do is go out and demand to talk to the manager. You can probably get your money back and the inconsiderate idiots will either be told to shut up or be shown the door.

The current generation of "fashionale psychopaths", i.e. people who think it is cool to be rude, devoid of conscience and devoid of empathy is the reason why I find myself more and more staying away from crowds. The last movie I went to was a midnight opening, the main reason being is that those in attendance WANTED to see the movie and not use it as background noise like a tv at a party.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yep, during clerks 2. random chav. sighed. took the lid off my large coke. brushed off my shirt the popcorn they had been throwing and emptied it on the dicks head.

he followed me out going "O'WITE, O'WITE, SO YA WAANA GO DOES YOUNS?". i stopped, turned, very pissed off and just boomed. "FUCK. OFF. YOU LITTLE PRICK OR I WILL BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU" and he pretended to sneer and go "naw wot? ee aint worth it..." fucking 15 year olds get their first stolen moped and think they are king shit of arse mountain.

*i never before or since lost my shit, but i was a huge kevin smith fan at the time and really, really wanted to see that movie.
    Last edited by Danny; 17-Oct-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: fghgh

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wow....apparently audiences in the UK are much worse than the US. I've had some problems, but nothing that major.

My idea is to avoid evening or premiere showings. Never had a problem there. The teens are either in bed or in school.

Pick the right time to go and you should be alright. The most recent time I can remember seeing a premiere is midnight showing of The Dark Knight and that was awesome...
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Oct-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    did you do anything about it?
    Netflix mostly and other (ahem) places on the net to 'find' films as well with a 50" inch plasma HD-TV. Hooked my desktop computer right into the back of the television just like a monitor and I'm good to go. I can't be bothered anyway to spend $12 for a movie ticket (and sneaking in a soda because I'll be damned if I spend $4 on a coke) even if there aren't any assholes in the theatre. I haven't been to a theater in probably over 18 months, and unless it's an extremely special occasion won't do it. I just don't see the point in spending that type of money when I can get the same thing except the comfort of my couch and no loud people here.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 17-Oct-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Leather jacket tomorrow.
    No more theaters for me, unless Sarah wants to go.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Netflix mostly and other (ahem) places on the net to 'find' films as well with a 50" inch plasma HD-TV. Hooked my desktop computer right into the back of the television just like a monitor and I'm good to go. I can't be bothered anyway to spend $12 for a movie ticket (and sneaking in a soda because I'll be damned if I spend $4 on a coke) even if there aren't any assholes in the theatre. I haven't been to a theater in probably over 18 months, and unless it's an extremely special occasion won't do it. I just don't see the point in spending that type of money when I can get the same thing except the comfort of my couch and no loud people here.

j.p.
    yeah, i suppose its a little ironic but after i got my film degree about a year or two years ago ive seen like 3 films in the cinema. last being jackass 3d. theres jsut not point when the modern home media connectivity means more convenience and absolute control suited to you y'know?

United States
    These people know exactly what they are doing, and thrive on the fact that they ruin the movie watching experience for others. I've seen it with kids shining lasers on the screen during the movie, talking on cell phones, and of course people who talk through the entire movie.

Just get up walk out to the box office and get a cash refund. Not worth the hassle to confront someone, that only emboldens them. If this happens often enough the theater owners will wise up and start sending in an employee to check on the movie audience.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 17-Oct-2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: x

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    morons like the ones we're discussing is the main reason i stay out of theaters these days, along with the ridiculous prices. was planning on seeing the thing prequel in theaters soon, but am torn over whether or not i care to deal with the dolts. perhaps i'll wait till it's been out a while longer and the crowds thin out.

Super Moderator

United States
    I don't go the movies that often anymore, but it's been a while since I've had an issue with a fellow film-goer. It'll happen from time to time, but more or less it's a rarity. I think some of this has to do with choice of venue and the rest blind luck.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I go to the theater once every 18-24 months. The reason being is almost every single time, I experience the types of people being mentioned in this thread.

My ex made me take her to see The Strangers and it was going fine until 15 minutes into the movie, a group of about 5 females showed up. They were all carrying keychains that must have made a janitor jealous. The sounds of their keychains coming into the theater sounded like a group of knights wearing chainmail. They promptly yelled about how "DAMN THIS THEATER PACKED!" and sat in the front. Immediately there was a nice distracting glow of cell phones coming from their group. Shortly followed by a phone call "WHAT UP? NAH, I'M IN THE MOVIES. THE MOVIES. THE MOVIES. YEAH."

After about a half hour of this, I was on the verge of screaming. Just as I was about to let out some sort of heated remark, a dude about my age, one row in front of me, beat me to it. He simply yelled "SHUTTHEFUCKUP!" Many people (including myself) applauded his demand and the girls stayed quiet from that point on. I think they actually may have even walked out of the theater before the movie ended.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I go to the theater once every 18-24 months. The reason being is almost every single time, I experience the types of people being mentioned in this thread.
    This is the main reason why I avoid the theater as much as possible. The last 3-4 times I've gone, I've had to put up with loud-mouthed idiots who ruin the entire experience.

While bass is right, if you pick the right time to go you can mostly avoid all the "problem people" - but we shouldn't have to do that. We pay a lot of money to see these movies, we shouldn't have to put up with this shit.

What I don't get is, the idiots who run these theaters - why not send an usher into each movie at least once or twice during the flicks? It's not that difficult, it doesn't take much man power. Just one idiot to walk in there for a minute or two, check out what's going on, and move to the next one. Why's that so hard?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I'm on the side of tell them to shut the fuck up.
    Last few movies I saw in the cinema, I resorted to doing this. Kids laughing during land of the dead (not that it was unjustified, i guess)...I turned around and spat spiders at the c**ts to shut the hell up. They gave me a bit of shit back, then piped the f**k down after that.

Same with the Dawn remake actually. This time a stupid couple whispering sweet nothings right next to me..."sorry, but could you keep it down if possible?" they were sweet, apologised, then watched the movie.

So I guess it depends on the people. During Return of the King some guy answered his phone to literally try piss off the whole cinema. the audience launched drinks and food at him.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that if you A) talk in the cinema B) play music through your phone in public C) set off alarms, fire extinguishers, or cause trains to emergency stop that you're deserving of nothing less than a good fucking kicking.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    crowds aside, modern technology renders it nearly idiotic to go to a public place, where you have to deal with other people's foolishness, when you can stay right at home and enjoy a flick in peace and quiet.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    crowds aside, modern technology renders it nearly idiotic to go to a public place, where you have to deal with other people's foolishness, when you can stay right at home and enjoy a flick in peace and quiet.
    This.

And also the fact that good manners and respect for our fellow human beings are some kind of arcane magic that escapes the grasp of most people these days.

Going to the movies used to be a treat, something I looked forward to, I haven't been to the pictures for around a decade now though, I'd rather wait for something I can watch at home on my own terms in peace and quiet.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon