Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romero's next to be The Zombie Autopsies?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Romero's next to be The Zombie Autopsies?

In a recent interview wit io9 Romero reveals that he has optioned the rights to the book "The Zombie Autopsies" and is currently scripting in hopes of turning it into a film. Of course he needs some sort of ham-fisted message and this time it's zombie economics...

I would love to do something about the economy. But zombies are not good mathematicians — I don't think they're going to be out selling cheesy mortgages or anything like that. So it's tough for me to see that. A friend of mine recently wrote a novel called The Zombie Autopsies, and it's about an isolated group of people doing autopsies on zombies during the zombie apocalypse and trying to figure out what the hell caused this. They come upon this discovery.

[Edit Note: SPOILERS Ahead]

The scientists discover that this is not a naturally occurring virus, they deduce that it must have been created by somebody. And they later discover that it was created by people who were trying to topple the economy. So that's a unique way in to talk about the economy, but it's not my story. Steven C. Schlozman is the guys name, he's a Havard Psychologist who has somehow been swept into the zombie craze and is writing zombie novels.

So an economic collapse zombie Noir film?

How do you do that, man? The Noir part might be OK — zombies all hunkered around not being able to find any food anywhere. But see their food is not our food… I don't know how to do it. The closest I could come is the Zombie Autopsies — just the way Wall Street engineered mortgages someone has engineered a great big collapse of society. Someone said, "The world is way too populated. We're going to kill off half the population of the world and as a result we're going to get richer!" It's the only way I can see doing it.

You should option that book.

We have. We have done it, and I'm working on the screenplay right now.

So are you going to do it Noir style?

I may decide to do it that way, I don't know. This is Steve's story, not mine. It's more like The Andromeda Strain. It's very tense and very medically correct. This guy's a doctor, it's all about being medically correct. I think about it like the first Hammer Frankenstein film, which was all about very graphic scenes of brains floating in blood and things like that. I want it to be perfectly accurate, almost shockingly so.
    In the same interview he also speaks about turning down the chance to direct The Walking Dead(thank god) and why he would never do a sequel for Dawn.
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Oct-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    I know just how I'd prepare for the premiere...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I know just how I'd prepare for the premiere...

I have no intention of seeking this one out in theater. I'll wait for TV or Instant Netflix...
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Oct-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    for goodness sake do something else, george. anything.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ...and why he would never do a sequel for Dawn.
    You mean he's not going to make 'Day of the Dead'?

Hey, wait...what?

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Wow, I absolutely can't wait to not see this!

At this point I have more faith in Zach Snyder making a good zombie film as opposed to Romero.

He already made one far better than "Land" and "Survival".

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Undisclosed
    I still have faith in Romero. He just hit a bump in the road with his last few movies, which I didn't think were as bad as some people claim.

England
    Its Uncle George. Of course i'll watch it
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I'll see it, and I hope it's not boring or too wordy or... whatever the hell his last two films were. No more of that.

Twitching

United States
    A "bump in the road" is not 3 straight movies of ever-worsening quality, while making comments to major publications about wanting to make still MORE crappy movies featuring minor Diary characters as the leads.
    If you still adore anything Romero, it IS your life. But, let's stop short of trying to sell that fan-love as being the reasonable position to take k? Everything done in the last 12+yrs has been mediocre at best (Land) and "Oh please God, invent bleach I can use on my memories. Muuuuuulllllldooooooooonnnnn!!!" (Survival)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    really george? another bloody zombie film? jesus...

-- -------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I still have faith in Romero. He just hit a bump in the road with his last few movies, which I didn't think were as bad as some people claim.
    this aint a bump in the road. we are talking like almost 2 decades now of movies about on par with uwe boll. Theres being a fan, then there's being a yes man. Film is an art, and filmmakers are artists. i wish i could say i dont know why the man is resorting to this.
    -but every one of us know why. don't we?
    Last edited by Danny; 21-Oct-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: dsfsdfsfs

United States
    Meh I would watch it, but I will watch pretty much anything with zombies in it. If George does it, it will at least have that going for it and even if it is bad I still feel I owe the guy my support after YEARS of entertainment and for what he did to create and maintain this genre of Hollywood film making.

Dying

Undisclosed

Interesting...Why GAR rejected the Walking Dead, in favor of Zompie Autopsies.

Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Super Moderator

United States
    Merged threads.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    That interview...
    Gah, how is it not glaringly obvious to anyone who reads such an interview from Romero that the man is OBSESSED with message, and that zombies are just the bait he uses to get his fanbase to sit around and listen to a rant about his current anti-social trend?

I mean, some of the other interviews were a bit more ambiguous. Like the one he did for Fangoria several months ago. That focused very much on the craft used to make his movies. That said, EVERYTHING the man has said about purpose/theme/plot in relation to anything with zombies in the last 12+ years can be boiled down to one sentence. "I (George), don't get why people are in love w/ "zombie movies", but I'm more than willing to use that to bury my socio-political (and now socioeconomic apparently) message in images of staggering ghouls."

I see NO, not one minute particle of evidence that Romero concerns himself whatsoever with the question "Is this a good enjoyable horror/zombie film I've written the script for and am directing?"

That's fine if that's what he wants to do. Go make these movies Indie-style George. Show them at film festivals or whatever. Just STOP TAKING ADVANTAGE of the memory of the Dead Trilogy, because that's what it is you're doing George when you announce in every forum that will give you a voice that you think Survival Horror is childish drek at the same time you use said forums as free advertising to whip the fans of your Trilogy into BLIND FERVOR over your newest project.

Let's look at what George said as Fear Fest host to preface the airing of Diary of the Dead "This is a continuation of my exploration of social themes and the Undead condition. In other words its a (cue mockery-laden faux spooky voice) ZOMBIE MOVIE!"

He's making fun of us. He really, truly is.