Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x02 "Bloodletting" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I do not think this has been mentioned.

How is this for a slice of fried gold?

Wyld and I are tasked with going into the FEMA trailer. We grab a walker who is isolated, Wyld kills him with a knife through the head (or arror take your pick).

I gut it, and we wear his entrails for a necklace... we dance in grab the meds and casually shamble off into the sunset.

How is it no one thought of this? Sure these two were not in the city when this happened but don't tell me that it would not have come up around a campfire, or in zombie survival 101 discussions.

DUMB.
    That sounds like a better plan then Shane and Otis' apparent lack of one for getting in AND out of the FEMA trailer. Hell, they could have performed a simple diversion by having a third survivor (perhaps on horseback) lead the pack of zeds away from the FEMA trailer prior to sending in Shane & Otis. But then again, the writers need to have the current scenes set up the later scenes that they wanted to happen. They needed Shane and Otis to be chased by a horde of zeds. If your plan was used, Shane and Otis would have easily escaped back to the farm just in time for fish and chips.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 27-Oct-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I think you mean beer and peanuts, but yes, good plan there. God I love Shaun... not in a gay way, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just my door only swings one way... sort of.
    *shakes head vigorously* Back on topic, yes, and what a horde it was. Well done, I say.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I think you mean beer and peanuts, but yes, good plan there. God I love Shaun... not in a gay way, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just my door only swings one way... sort of.
    *shakes head vigorously* Back on topic, yes, and what a horde it was. Well done, I say.
    Shaun? Do you mean Shaun from Shaun of the Dead or do you mean Shane from TWD? (Not that there's anything wrong with you liking either one)
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 27-Oct-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: ed

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    1) Carl dies.
    Well, the writers could go with Carl surviving, but isn't that what most people would expect?
    I'm guessing you haven't read the comic? People would expect them to follow the comic's storyline pretty closely. They've strayed off a bit, but nothing as drastic as killing off a main character.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't read the comic? People would expect them to follow the comic's storyline pretty closely. They've strayed off a bit, but nothing as drastic as killing off a main character.
    I never read the comic, and you're right. After bassman gave me a clue that Carl was too important to the story to be killed off, I took a brief tour of the wiki outline of the TWD comics. I tried not to read too much into the story because the show is more fun for me NOT knowing what to expect.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 27-Oct-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: ed

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Shaun of the Dead. Yeah, I only bought the first volume of the graphic novel and haven't read anything else, so I like being surprised by the show too. It's all in good fun.

Super Moderator

UK
    Alright, time for the Brits to step in ... well, the ones who waited for it to show on FXUK anyway...

Dug the episode - loved the mirroring of Carl's post-shooting surgery etc with that of Rick's (excellent acting from Andrew Lincoln - when he staggers out of the house in a daze and wipes his own son's blood across his face by accident ... man ... that's some chilling stuff - excellent acting there).

Daryl continues to rock - some might say "oh that's handy" that Merle happens to have a shitload of drugs in his motorbike bag thingy, but in a world where you're surrounded by shit luck, I think it's only appropriate for them to catch the odd break - I mean heck, if you didn't you'd be shutting down plot bridges left, right and centre.

Interesting tweak of the casting for Otis - from a younger, scrawnier waste of space, to the dude with the eyes from Constantine and various other things - I like the change-up, and I agree, he's actually been useful here (well, after making the colossal bugger up of shooting Carl by accident, that is) - speaking of which, I loved the tension of Shane and Otis going for the supplies. When they craned up and revealed all the zombies milling around - ooh, loved that - and yes, I too thought "sky flowers" with the road flares ... a nice little touch there, even if it wasn't an intended reference. Also, naturally, them breaking into that building and closing that gate was TENSE - and pretty darn cool - some lovely close-ups on Nicotero and Co's zombie wizardry.

In terms of the continuing 'Dale taking Andrea's gun' thing - well, clearly the man cares a great deal for Andrea, and when in such a situation you obviously want to protect that person. Be it for selfish reasons to a certain degree or not, you care for someone and knowing full-well that they're in a suicidal state, you're not going to necessarily leave them with a handgun ... especially one that they don't know how to use properly ... it also makes sense from a practical zombie survival stand point. As was said, all these people running around with guns and not knowing how to use them - this was addressed in Volume 2 of the trade paperbacks as well, so it fits in with Kirkman's original plot - it makes sense for them to conserve the gun situation until they get a chance to lay down some basic weapons training for everyone. Indeed, with Carl having been shot, this could open up an interesting moral debate in the group regarding the use of guns, and whether or not Carl should be taught in how to use them ... something which, IIRC, was touched on in the comics.

Herschel - another quality choice of actor - he certainly feels like Herschel from the comics, and I think he's going to be a valuable addition to the cast. Plus - Maggie riding in on a horse and smacking that zombie in the face with a baseball bat was pretty darn rad ... and kinda hot.

Lots of good character stuff - Dale continues to be a gentleman and a scholar with his head screwed on tight - the whole Shane/Rick/Lori/Carl thing was excellent - and I dig Daryl's sense of practicality and focus on the job at hand - after the awkward exchange between Andrea and Carol, it was nice to see him step in and essentially say that a bunch of platitudes and words won't help Sophia, but getting on with tracking her down in the woods will - I like his focus on the job at hand. Again, like so many are saying, he's clearly a very valuable member of the group now, which is good to see. Perhaps in later episodes we'll see a slightly softer side to him when he doesn't have to be on his guard all day long - I think that might be the reason that he's very one-track-minded in his focus at the moment ... there is no opportunity to let your guard down in his eyes. When he can take a breather, then perhaps we'll see something softer in his character - I'd love to see some further exploration of his backstory, and how he's clearly feeling that he's finally a part of something for once in his life - this group - despite the circumstances they all find themselves in.

I also agree that they need to find Sophia soon - or have a good reason for her being gone so long (which would either be she's dead ... which I doubt ... or she's been found by another family or group ... ... hmm, thinking about it, could she have stumbled upon Tyrese?)

My only problem had nothing to do with the show itself - it was the advert breaks - having FIVE FUCKING MINUTES OF BLOODY ADVERTS every 7-to-10 minutes of actual programming kept pulling me out when I was just settled back in to the show, which was annoying, but I'm determined to continue supporting the show officially on FXUK.

All-in-all - solid episode. It's TWD, so naturally I loved it, but clearly at this stage we're seeing various things getting set-up for later conflicts and story points - I look forward to seeing how this all progresses in time.

England
    MZ. Have you got a PVR? You can still register your support by recording TWD. Just watch it on a Monday like the rest of us Brits
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    My only problem had nothing to do with the show itself - it was the advert breaks - having FIVE FUCKING MINUTES OF BLOODY ADVERTS every 7-to-10 minutes of actual programming kept pulling me out when I was just settled back in to the show, which was annoying, but I'm determined to continue supporting the show officially on FXUK.
    Same across the pond. I was all psyched that we the fans were about to get a bonus 30 minutes of the show, but by the end I realized that it was only a 60 minute episode that was jammed packed with 30 minutes of extra commercials. Did they think the viewers wouldn't be able to figure this out? I wonder.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 29-Oct-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: ed

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Same across the pond. I was all psyched that we the fans were about to get a bonus 30 minutes of the show, but by the end I realized that it was only a 60 minute episode that was jammed packed with 30 minutes of extra commercials. Did they think the viewers wouldn't be able to figure this out? I wonder.
    The only "bonus" thirty minutes promised were with the season premieres. In reality the premieres were about seventy minutes with twenty of commercials. At the same time, further episodes are about fourty five minutes with fifteen in commercials. That's about the same with any TV series.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    A little bit too much "You've got to take care of your family, you've got to be there for him!" talk from Shane in this one. It feels awkward everytime Rick and Shane have a heart to heart, really. Otherwise great show.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    A little bit too much "You've got to take care of your family, you've got to be there for him!" talk from Shane in this one. It feels awkward everytime Rick and Shane have a heart to heart, really. Otherwise great show.
    While we were watching the show and during the scenes that you mention, my gf mimicked Shane saying, "yeah Rick, you've got to take care of your family or I'm liable to have sex with your wife again!" lol
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 29-Oct-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: ed

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I often wonder if the results and opinions of TWD depend on the viewer's current environment. I could see why a single person could find the child/family environment a bit cheesy. It wouldn't matter to a person at that stage of their life.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Don't really fit the bill there, and I just got a godson a few weeks ago as well. It still felt awkward.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I often wonder if the results and opinions of TWD depend on the viewer's current environment. I could see why a single person could find the child/family environment a bit cheesy. It wouldn't matter to a person at that stage of their life.
    Spot on. If you read the IMDB boards its clearly full of young people who don't get invested in the show from the emotional side. The main complaints are that its slow, no character development and the writing is terrible. I suppose thats how it would come across if you couldn't relate to these people and the absolute nightmare they are going through trying to adjust to the new world. The Rick, Shane and Lori triangle is fascinating to me
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA