Thread: Smelly people...

England

Smelly people...

I just have to rant about this as I was getting my lunch in the supermarket near work today when the smelliest 'orrible man came and stood near me, and almost made me vomit right there on the spot! He smelled like he shares a bed with a wet mangey Labrador, it wasn't a body odour smell like stinking people usually force upon us especially in summer, but more like a properly dirty unwashed for months smell so my question is, why do people go out in public like this? is getting a wash and washing your clothes really that hard? can they not smell it on themselves or do they think it makes them attractive to stink?
    Reeking git came and stood next to me in the queue for the tills as well and I had to hold my breath till I could move!!!!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    why do people go out in public like this? is getting a wash and washing your clothes really that hard?
    Mental illness, substance abuse, street living, depression & listless lifestyle (short or long term) are probably the most usual offenders. Some people also have a much lower sensitivity to smell in general and coupled with a life of bad hygiene and you get a depraved indifference of sorts to stink.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dead

United States
    There's also physical illnesses that cause people to smell bad as well. Liver malfunction is one. Another could be an actual physical inability to wash oneself on a frequent basis. Having to have others help you bathe or shower is probably a big insult to the pride, and for a time you might rather stink than have to ask others to help you that way.
    Ok, yeah, it sucks getting stuck next to someone who stinks. But seriously, is it really THAT big of a deal???

Undisclosed
    There was an episode on Mystery Diagnosis where a girl had body odor problems all of her life. She would shower 3 or 4 times a day with no relief. None of the doctors she went to could find the cause, until one discovered she had some type of chemical imbalance that unfortunately had no cure.

Sometimes people just can't help it, EXCEPT the dishevelled stenchmongers I had the bad luck to be downwind from at gun shows and game conventions.

Ireland
    Was he a zombie?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Was he a zombie?
    He smelled like one! He didnt look mentally ill or even homeless, he just stank some people just take no pride in themselves and see washing as a chore that doesnt have to be done I think...

United States
    Ohhh... the way people smell on the subway and ferry makes me want to burn my clothes and bathe in bleach when I get home... if I was a child in that scenario I'd say something because I don't know better but as an adult I breathe through my mouth and pray that whatever part of me they touch doesn't fall off or decay because I feel like their stench is contagious and going to kill me. I mean what do they do? If they were homeless I get it but it sometimes just seems like they're either drunk or under the influence of a drug that doesn't make them realize they just deficated in their clothing or something. Oddly I find comfort in knowing what the smell is that eminates from them. When its one thing or another I feel okay... when its a melange of things... a layering of stenches... that's when its most disturbing because there's no telling whats going to happen next...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html