Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooded out

Ireland

Flooded out

Dublin got some seriously bad rain on Monday and the lower half of our house got wrecked. I'm really pissed off about the whole bloody thing. It's going to take ages to fix. But, I heard that two people were killed on Monday night, so that put things into a very sober perspective.

My wife, Susan, said she heard funny noises when we were watching the walking dead ep 2 at about 5 o clock and I said that it was probably on the TV. I then went back upstairs to finish off a bit of work and I heard here screaming for me to come down. I was like, "Oh what now...for god's sake", wondering what was so bad that it had her freaking out. I saw that the porch was filling with water. I thought that it was leaking in from the roof, as we'd had a problem before and stupidly I opened the front door and a whoosh of water came flying in. It took the both of us to shut the door. Her pushing me and me pushing the door. Astonished, we looked out the window and saw that the river beside us had breached the walls and was going by the window. Our car had turned too and was looking at us through the window. It was a bizarre sight.

The fire brigade soon came by and said that everyone had to get out fast, so, I got what I wanted to save and put it upstairs and bailed out, without any shoes! We had to get out the back and up over the roofs of the neighbours houses. Crazy stuff and not easy in socks, I can tell you.

I went back Tuesday morning and the water had gone, incredibly I thought. I was expecting the water to still be there for at least another day or so. The lower half of the house is covered in silt and crap from the river and god knows what.

Below are some pics I found on the web.

My neighbours house, across the road from us. Our car, a blue Ford focus is completely under water.

The day after. Submarine car makes its appearance. Our house is the one with the red door on the left of the pic.

-- -------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

Last edited by shootemindehead; 27-Oct-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Stay safe man, hope everythings ok! Be warned though, I'm in Hull in the UK and in June '07 there was some major flooding like that here and a lot of people were still living in static caravans 2 or 3 years later while their houses were being put right, and insurance companies used every trick in the book to avoid paying out on flood damage! and now the people who did get payouts cant get house insurance anymore because they live in an "at risk" area

My car got written off in those floods, I was driving a Peugeot 206 at the time and was unaware that the air intake was down the bottom of the engine rather than on top as is normal on most cars, so when I drove through flood water that was up to my wheel arches (I was directed through it by the police) the engine drew loads of water in and wrecked it, my car was written off due to that! So if you drive a French car be careful!

Super Moderator

United States
    Jesus, Shootem...my condolences to you and the family! I can't believe that the car we see was completely submerged!

My best to you all and my hopes for safety and the ability to salvage as much as you can from the situation. Just a horrible thing to have one's home turned upside down because of this sort of thing, but glad you got out okay.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Cheers lads.

We're trying to get things back in order. It's all been a bit surreal as you can imagine.

Tricky, the cars a total write off. It was a Ford focus. My wife literally had to cry down the phone in order for the insurance company to come and look it over. You see, the council can't start cleaning up the road and sandbagging until the car was moved. Such unbelievable nonsense.

Aces, I couldn't believe the sight of the car being under water myself. It was freaky. It's the least of our worries now though, to be honest.

Have to say, our friends have been truly great. I don't what we would have done without them.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bloody hell, Shoot - I'm sorry to hear about all this. I hope you and yours can get this all sorted out soon - I'm glad you guys are safe and sound.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Holy hell man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your house hasn't suffered too much structural/cosmetic damage.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sorry to hear about this, man. I wish you and your family the best. Hopefully the insurance process and repairs will be painless.

Luckily my home has never been flooded, but we hand hundreds of homes in my area flooded a few years back. Most of which were condemned. We still have numerous neighborhoods and washed-out roads that look like ghost towns.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Oct-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Thanks all,

We're trying to get back to normal. Moved a lot of stuff out the house today and we're living out of bags in a local hotel. Not fun. We've found some temp accommodation near our house too for the next 6 weeks starting on Tuesday, so at least there's that.

I don't think the insurance company will stiff us on the contents payout, but we've yet to see what the damage is on the structure. Luckily, the walls are thick stone, but there's some lighter partition walls inside. It might be OK though.

Ireland
    Right!

So, this week, we are moving back into our house. After nearly a year and the most trying time I have ever experienced, we're finally getting back to our home.

I cannot express fully how unbelievably difficult this year has been for us. On top of having 5 foot of water fly through our gaff, we've had such hassle dealing with the council to get them to rebuild the wall beside the river. That took well until after winter and into the Spring to finalise. Then, I lost my job in June and that was a hell of a blow. In July, my wife's dad died and with that's been the worst of it so far. Finally, we've had such nonsense to deal with from the builders doing up the house that there's a thread alone needed to go through all of that malarkey.

Anyway, Sue (the wife) has the next week off and we're starting it off with a nice bottle of wine.

Can't believe it's nearly a year already.

Administrator

England
    All the best dude!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Glad things are shaping up. I'd missed this thread while I was off line last year I guess, so I had no idea!

Super Moderator

UK
    Bloody hell Shoot, that does sound like a tough year - hopefully that's all behind you now and you can both move forward into better things.

It's amazing how slow we deal with flood damage in this nation, it really is. It's big news for a few days, and then it's forgotten about with the victims stuck in the middle.

Super Moderator

United States
    Sorry to hear it too so long to get sorted out, Shootem'. My best wishes to you folks and I hope things are a lot more smoother for you in the coming year.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Cheers all.

Yep, it's been mad and I think we've earned enough karma points to have everything go right for us for at least the next two decades.

We've been setting up IKEA furniture all day today. I feel like yer man from 'Fight Club'.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    We've been setting up IKEA furniture all day today. I feel like yer man from 'Fight Club'.
    Just don't start punching yourself in the face or hallucinating Brad Pitt as your imaginary friend & it's all good.