Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Daryl Dixon: The Unstoppable Super Ninja

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Cool.

It's funny to think back to when we were all first introduced to Daryl, most or all of us wrote the character off as a stereotypical redneck hot-head - but then he showed off some mad skills (the super ninja was born! ) and then well, season two really blew the doors off and now he's indispensable to most or all of us now.

I like the guy as a person, at least as much as I can in that I don't really know the guy. His public appearances, and his art all interest me. His acting is getting better in that I feel he is more comfortable in the role because in truth it seems such a departure from his actual "self". I love his willingness to interact with fans like you, and his feedback on our own twisted little corner of the net.

I really did not much care for him at first on the show but I think that was meant to be, and I like that he has become a part of the band.
    Last edited by Thorn; 23-Jan-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah he seems like a pretty decent dude - like when you see him mucking around with Chandler Riggs at the end of the table during panel discussions like at Comic-Con while Kirkman and the producers give serious answers at the other end.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah he seems like a pretty decent dude - like when you see him mucking around with Chandler Riggs at the end of the table during panel discussions like at Comic-Con while Kirkman and the producers give serious answers at the other end.
    And of course when replying to Yorkshire nobodies via Twitter when he probably gets hounded by fans, definitely makes him a decent dude in my book!

England
    Another bit of banter with Norman, I think he's really happy with how the shows being received, and of course that it gets the HPOTD seal of approval

England
    All the cast are good at interacting with the fans especially Mr Lincoln
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    On another forum I visit, someone tweeted Mazarra and asked how bad he wanted to punch out Navarro on Talking Dead. Of course he gave a professional reponse like "I was happy to share the stage with a talent like Navarro", but I thought it was kinda funny. Got the feeling he couldn't say what he really felt.

England
    I've not seen Talking Dead, was Navarro being a bit of a chump? Its good that they have time for the fans, I'll have to look up some of the other cast on there if they're interesting!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I've not seen Talking Dead, was Navarro being a bit of a chump?
    Yeah, he was a bad guest to have on the show. Basically he did nothing but complain, interupted Mazarra(the guy that actually works on the show and had real insight) every chance he had, and generally acted annoyed when the attention was focused on someone else. He claimed to be a fan, but all he did was bitch about a lack of zombie action and didn't even know the characters' names.

"Dale? He's the old guy with the RV, right?"

As I believe I said in the Talking Dead thread, Navarro is exactly the kind of "fan" that doesn't understand what this show is going for and should be watching Resident Evil or Uwe Boll's latest masterpiece instead...
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Feb-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: .

England
    Am i the only one who didnt mind what Navarro said? I thought some of his criticisms were valid. I also think Mazzara was being honest with his reply to the tweet - no subtext at all.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Am i the only one who didnt mind what Navarro said? I thought some of his criticisms were valid. I also think Mazzara was being honest with his reply to the tweet - no subtext at all.
    He really came across to me as someone who had no patience for a story and just wanted non-stop gag kills, tons of zombies and no real story. Undoubtedly there are people who agree with him, and he reminded me of a lot of the people who would write into the letter column for the comic saying there's too much dialogue and needs to be more zombies, killing and death, but I thought the comic balanced it perfectly, and--though TWD could use a higher body count and a grimmer approach--the second half of the season seems to have a solid balance of story, downtime/narrative reset and physical action with a good number of zombies.

So, to me, Dave Navarro came across as an impatient putz. YMMV

-- -------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Just thought I'd add...to be fair, there were pacing issues with the previous story arcs, and I know Navarro touched on this, and that I would agree with somewhat.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I've not seen Talking Dead, was Navarro being a bit of a chump? Its good that they have time for the fans, I'll have to look up some of the other cast on there if they're interesting!
    Here's what I had to say about it:
    http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...264#post279264

As for the tweet to Mazzara - hehe, that made me chuckle. I would have loved to see him bitch slap Navarro, who didn't exactly come across all that well to put it politely.

United States

so, daryl actually missed with his crossbow for once? damn...guess he might be human after all.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

so, daryl actually missed with his crossbow for once? damn...guess he might be human after all.
    I noticed that, but for got to comment. Good catch.

The other things I noticed from this last week:

Is he part Pawnee with that expert tracking he did this week? I also thought he and Glenn make a cool, offbeat team. They were pretty fun to watch.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Am i the only one who didnt mind what Navarro said? I thought some of his criticisms were valid.
    No, you're not. While some are calling Navarro a douchebag, I think he had some valid points.

Put it this way: aside from the first episode of season 2 (traffic jam), it wasn't until after season 2 part 2 picked up again (and a few episodes into it, too) that it felt like the story started to move again finally. Spending half a season running around in the woods looking for some stupid little girl during a zombie apocalypse makes ZERO SENSE, not to mention it was boring as all hell.

It's amazing - tons of debate as to what to do with Randall, right? "Keeping Randall alive puts the group in danger!" Well, guess what? So does wandering around in the woods for days/weeks/whatever looking for some little girl who stood zero chance to begin with, but we'll just let that slide.

Regardless of what the show is/was "trying to get across" or whatever anyone thinks "the show is about" it doesn't change the fact that the majority of season 2 moved too slow in many aspects. While I don't agree with Dave, that the show needed tons more zombies and gore to make it appealing, it certainly needed a kick in the ass because it has been meandering a lot this season.

I've said it before, i'll say it again: the people in the show have pissed me off. Now I'm rooting for the walkers, screw the humans.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress....

Last edited by LouCipherr; 12-Mar-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: bacon

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    While some are calling Navarro a douchebag, I think he had some valid points.
    We already know about your pro nipple ring stance, Lou

Though I did amend my statement above weeks ago and agreed that there were some pacing issues, though none of note for me once the second half of season 2 kicked off.