Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daryl Dixon: The Unstoppable Super Ninja

Super Moderator

United States

Red face Daryl Dixon: The Unstoppable Super Ninja

Going forward I will put down my thoughts, facts and figures in an attempt to prove that the character Darryl Dixon, portrayed in brooding fashion by actor Norman Reedus, is either a super unstoppable ninja zombie hunting machine, maybe a reprogrammed terminator or possibly a drow.

First bullet-points on the subject to give you an idea of where I coming from with this:

-He's stealthy
    -He's cutthroat & pragmatic
    -He can ragdoll a zombie
    -Look how sneaky he is when he uses the dead zombie for cover
    -Fear touching a zombie? I think not!
    -Fear of zombie fluids? Pffft.
    -He communicates in hand signals when necessary
    -He never: gets the shakes, never looks like he might sh*t himself, never looks more than slightly fearful or surprised. Basically never acts human in matters where 99.9% of people would be overcome with fear.
    -Darryl doesn't miss with his crossbow...EVER (doubtless if he lasts long enough he will, but only as the plot absolutely demands).

This ends my preliminary thoughts, but undoubtedly there will be more to follow.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Agreed on all points. Daryl is a badass. Kinda like the TV Series' early, but male, Michonne. I wasn't so sure at first, but now I totally love the character. Not only is he a badass, but he's also a very important part of the group's survival. Hell....Rick and Shane went from putting him in a choke hold to putting him in charge of very important tasks.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Oct-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    I like the character myself, but I wish we'd see a little more humanity in the character. I mean, he should have been pretty terrified at some of the situations he's found himself in. I like the action, I just want to keep it gritty and somewhat realistic and I see a tendency developing that I hope the writers don't fall deeper into.

As far as that character from the comic series...

Michonne definitely had good reason for being how she was and, even being a hardcore, badass survivor through and through, it was always apparent how damaged she was from the process that led her there, and ultimately how human her character was.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Agreed! Daryl Dixon is as awesome as his brother Merl Dixon is a douche. It's a case of genetic balancing I suppose.
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Agreed! Daryl Dixon is as awesome as his brother Merl Dixon is a douche. It's a case of genetic balancing I suppose.
    Merle is just misunderstood....He's a good guy. I can tell.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I like the character myself, but I wish we'd see a little more humanity in the character. I mean, he should have been pretty terrified at some of the situations he's found himself in. I like the action, I just want to keep it gritty and somewhat realistic and I see a tendency developing that I hope the writers don't fall deeper into.
    I think being the backwoods, loner, disfunctianal family, redneck type, this may be all the emotion Daryl is capable of, for now. I compare Daryl to many kids in the school that I work who are absolute damaged good. School is their home, their safe place, their normalcy. We always have kids who need extra attention and intervention before big breaks because the most terrifying thought to them is spending two weeks at home. No lie. I picture Daryl like THAT. I predict Daryl will begin to treat this group of survivors like his family and will ultimately come to love and trust them, and likely, will die giving his life for one or more of them. I think we have seen twinges of Daryl's humanity already. My favorite such moment would be when Carol is pick-axing her dead husbands brains all over the ground and Daryl is seen looking on in a manner that would indicate THAT was the most fucked up thing he's seen and somehow stirs some emotion in him. Totally agree with everything else you said about Daryl though man. He. Is. The. BOMB!!
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

United States
    I think we can see Daryl starting to treat the survivors as his new "family" in that last episode. He takes charge of the group to keep them moing back to the RV after Lori hears the gunshot in the distance. He also protests when Lori is about to ride off with the farmer's daughter. Season 1's Daryl wouldn't have gave a crap I think. Wondering when (not having read the series) his brother Meryl will show up looking for revenge.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 29-Oct-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: ed

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wondering when (not having read the series) his brother Meryl will show up looking for revenge.
    The Dixon Brothers aren't in the comic series, so your guess is as good as anyone...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulman View Post
    I compare Daryl to many kids in the school that I work who are absolute damaged good. School is their home, their safe place, their normalcy. We always have kids who need extra attention and intervention before big breaks because the most terrifying thought to them is spending two weeks at home. No lie. I picture Daryl like THAT.
    Now that's a thought! Now that you mention it, Ghoulman, I've heard teachers describe sort of kid you're likening Daryl to and that would make good sense.

Being Attacked

United States
    I think we can see Daryl starting to treat the survivors as his new "family" in that last episode. He takes charge of the group to keep them moing back to the RV after Lori hears the gunshot in the distance. He also protests when Lori is about to ride off with the farmer's daughter. Season 1's Daryl wouldn't have gave a crap I think. Wondering when (not having read the series) his brother Meryl will show up looking for revenge.
    I think a likely thing is that they are showing Daryl evolving and treating the survivors as family in order to set up a later confrontation for when Meryl does show back up. He will be forced to choose between his brother who will be out for revenge and his adopted family he has come to trust and even love.

United States
    Daryl is a great character and proof that adding things to the show that weren't in the comic aint such a bad thing as long as it works.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    ...or possibly a drow.
    He'd take on all of them and win, not even making a sound...
    I'd be wayyyy more worried about a drow invasion than a zombie one. You think zombies are unfeeling. Imagine a foe that'd want to bring you down...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    He'd take on all of them and win, not even making a sound...
    I'd be wayyyy more worried about a drow invasion than a zombie one. You think zombies are unfeeling. Imagine a foe that'd want to bring you down...
    Aren't Drow those evil elves from Dungeons & Dragons? Because if we were ever invaded by evil elves, that would be my clue to give up drinking!

United States
    Too pale to be a drow though... The rest I'll buy... for a dollar.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Daryl is a great character and proof that adding things to the show that weren't in the comic aint such a bad thing as long as it works.
    Damn right. I think if they killed him off, I might just lose interest in the show - which is weird, 'cause the first few episodes he was in, I could've cared less about him.