Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7 Famous Zombie Killing Weapons That Would Get You Killed

United States

7 Famous Zombie Killing Weapons That Would Get You Killed

United States
    My kid thought the kitana was a good idea.
    Pffffft.
    I don't need an article to tell me it isn't...

Undisclosed
    I could never understand the obssession with shotguns. If you ever owned and shot one (which I doubt most of the zombie "experts" have) then it would become quickly noticable that:

1) 12 gauge ammunition is bulky and heavy.

The standard 12ga pump action will hold 5 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Yes there are others such as the Mossberg 590 that hold 8+1, but still for the same amount of weight,
    or less in most cases, you could have a rifle or pistol caliber semi-auto carbine that will hold 20-30 rounds in a quickly changed out magazine.

2) you DO have to aim a shotgun

Using a standard 18.5" cylinder (or improved cylinder) choke barrel, the shot spread of the usual law enforcement issue 00 buckshot out to 10 feet is about the size of the palm of your hand.
    This completely busts the rampant myth that you don't have to aim a shotgun.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Machete it is! Also, I'm an Engineer, so if any of my body parts get torn off they grow back as crazy weapons!

United States
    I'd much rather have a shotgun than a baseball bat or hammer, both of which have been used as "zombie killing weapons" in one form of media or another.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    gattling gun ala blaine from predator. if it didnt kill them, they wouldnt be coming after you anymore.

United States
    The spread of shotgun shot will vary depending on how far away the target you're firing at is and also how short (or long) your barrel is. The again, you can enjoy firing pumpkin balls (one heeping helping of a slug per shell). I'd say my sawed off double barrel 12 gauge, a sling or two full of 00 buck, a pocket full of pumpkin ball mag shells, and a good baseball bat would do the trick for me in most zed situations.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 01-Nov-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Scotland
    Ohhh well ive seen the shotgun being used alot but also i see them throwing it away when it needs reloading, to then switch to their sidearm. So i would say the shotgun would get you killed, especially if u dont have a sidearm. Because lets face it, every confrontation in a horror movie involves more than 10 enemies at one time, and the average shotgun only holds 6 or 8 shells. So basically... You Beh Gangfucked before ya get a chance to reload bitch!
    If You Believe In Something, It Will Exist. For As Long As You Live, Or Die, You Will Always Be Controlled By Beliefs And Compulsions. Mortal.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I'm going to say something... guns are just dumb for killing zombies. They're loud, they need reloading, and yeah. Melee weapons for me only. Maybe a crossbow, but... nah, not me. If they're far enough away where you can't get them with a melee weapon, then they're not much of a danger, as long as they don't sneak up on you.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksider18 View Post
    Ohhh well ive seen the shotgun being used alot but also i see them throwing it away when it needs reloading, to then switch to their sidearm. So i would say the shotgun would get you killed, especially if u dont have a sidearm. Because lets face it, every confrontation in a horror movie involves more than 10 enemies at one time, and the average shotgun only holds 6 or 8 shells. So basically... You Beh Gangfucked before ya get a chance to reload bitch!
    I guess it would depend more of the situation you're in at the moment. Fighting zombies is like playing golf; you need a certain type of club for a certain type of ground. If there were two or three zeds in front of you AND you're by yourself AND you do not mind some noise at the moment... than Mr. Shotgun is the tool you need. If you need to be quiet in the same situation, then Mr. Baseball Bat should be used instead. If you're confronted by a horde of zeds, the tool you need is yo' feets cuz deys gonna git yo' punk azz! Oh sorry, turned street there for a moment (ahem). I meant to say that you'd be overrun by them so running away would be the strategy in that situation.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 01-Nov-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: ed

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I'm going to say something... guns are just dumb for killing zombies. They're loud, they need reloading, and yeah. Melee weapons for me only. Maybe a crossbow, but... nah, not me. If they're far enough away where you can't get them with a melee weapon, then they're not much of a danger, as long as they don't sneak up on you.
    I think it is situational but I totally agree, to a point. I think you need to do something to mitigate the fluid issue so your zombie fighting kit needs to include a mask and cover from head to toe.

PERSONALLY I am not a fan of any of the weapons they all have limitations and short comings. Personally I would want a trident, spear, or halberd. A long pole arm that can keep zeds off you. The thing is if they closed on you then you would need an alternative. Really a 3-5 man kill team would be ideal. 1-2 guys with pole arms to create and keep distance, and then a guy to kill at range (spear and so on) then a catcher who mops up close quarters anything that gets through with a shield of some kind and a short sword (double sided long sword type would be fine or a Xiphos)... and one guy with ranged weapons crossbow/bow/guns) in case the zeds are already aware you are there it it is time to create space and get the hell out of there.

Flaws to the theory? Sure but there is no perfect theory.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I could never understand the obssession with shotguns. If you ever owned and shot one (which I doubt most of the zombie "experts" have) then it would become quickly noticable that:

1) 12 gauge ammunition is bulky and heavy.

The standard 12ga pump action will hold 5 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Yes there are others such as the Mossberg 590 that hold 8+1, but still for the same amount of weight,
    or less in most cases, you could have a rifle or pistol caliber semi-auto carbine that will hold 20-30 rounds in a quickly changed out magazine.

2) you DO have to aim a shotgun

Using a standard 18.5" cylinder (or improved cylinder) choke barrel, the shot spread of the usual law enforcement issue 00 buckshot out to 10 feet is about the size of the palm of your hand.
    This completely busts the rampant myth that you don't have to aim a shotgun.
    Though I still like the shotgun as a weapon, articles like this are usually written by some dude overly pleased with himself who has no pratical experience with firearms. They are pretty much talking out of their ass with their only real source material being Max Brooks, another guy who talks out of his ass.

-- -------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darksider18 View Post
    Depends on the shotgun too - there are some semi automatic shotguns that have a 10 round capacity and aftermarket mags that hold more. And throwing away your shotgun when you run out of ammo - that is some stupid scriptwriter's idea of excitement. My Mossberg holds 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber and if I go dry so close to trouble that I have throw down my shotgun and quickly pull my sidearm, it would be more effective to use the walnut stock and the steel barrel of my empty shotgun as a fairly badass melee weapon than to pull my pistol. Yeah, I hate seeing movies where someone runs out of bullets and then tosses their piece - that is some stupidity right there!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 01-Nov-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: yes there is
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Being Attacked

United States
    Firearms would def have a place in my zed arsenal, most likely a combination of small caliber target rifle and pistol for taking out a lone zed or two at long to medium range. Up close against a small number a machete or metal bat would be quiet and do the job quite well, if its more than a couple and they are up close its time to leave anyway! Making a heroic stand with shotgun blazing into a crowd is just going to draw a bigger crowd. As a weapon of last resort I think a shotgun would work fine, especially in close quarters, you do have to aim but you arent going to need to be very accurate as any hit is gonna at least cause some big damage and prob at least knock the target down. But after a couple of shots you better have a path clear to leave cause you will need to be somewhere else pretty quick.

I think a crossbow would be a pretty great weapon too, combining nearly the ease of use/aiming of a firearm with the near silence of a bow, but I can see finding new bolts to be an issue.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I think it is situational but I totally agree, to a point. I think you need to do something to mitigate the fluid issue so your zombie fighting kit needs to include a mask and cover from head to toe.

PERSONALLY I am not a fan of any of the weapons they all have limitations and short comings. Personally I would want a trident, spear, or halberd. A long pole arm that can keep zeds off you. The thing is if they closed on you then you would need an alternative. Really a 3-5 man kill team would be ideal. 1-2 guys with pole arms to create and keep distance, and then a guy to kill at range (spear and so on) then a catcher who mops up close quarters anything that gets through with a shield of some kind and a short sword (double sided long sword type would be fine or a Xiphos)... and one guy with ranged weapons crossbow/bow/guns) in case the zeds are already aware you are there it it is time to create space and get the hell out of there.

Flaws to the theory? Sure but there is no perfect theory.
    lol You sound as if you were one of my medieval reenactment brothers! I agree with polearms being used in team situations. I've encountered opponents who even at intermediate skill still knocked me on my arss using them. I would reckon using shields would be tricky; if you were using a hoplon or a heater shield (2 point grip, hand & forearm) it would be better suited for pushing (a la Greek Hoplite tactics) but if a zombie were to grab the shield, your arm may not be able to slip out fast enough and become trapped (trapped = you're the zombie's lunch).

A single grip shield with a center boss would be great for punching zeds in the mush as well as blocking, and you could easily release the shield if you needed to. The Xiphos (spartan short sword) I'm not convinced would be the most efficient melee weapon for fighting zeds. They're great for stabbing the living at very close quarters, but unless you used it to thrust upwards under the zed's chin and hopefully into its' brain, I don't see it stopping them much. Any bludgeoning weapon (mace, hammer, pipe, club, bat, etc) coupled with a single grip round shield would be the way to go IMO if used as part of a five man team.

I like the trident idea though. One good stab and you can keep the zed at distance while your buddy whonks it on de'haid!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 02-Nov-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: ed

Undisclosed

what if you wore a sausage link around your neck.......perhaps not! lol
    I SMELL SOME POO...