Thread: • Modern Warfare Series •

Scotland

Thumbs up • Modern Warfare Series •

*General Modern Warfare Discussion*

The Modern Warfare series has been at the hearts and minds of all, whether be it good or bad opinions, it is an incredible series of games. Black Ops has nothing now and its really up to us to keep Modern Warfare alive and fighting.

So the real questions among us is... What are the problems with it? Is it a good series or bad series and why? What about the gamers?

Share your comments and hopefully it'll get around enough to be fixed! Lol.
    If You Believe In Something, It Will Exist. For As Long As You Live, Or Die, You Will Always Be Controlled By Beliefs And Compulsions. Mortal.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I like my games to not be army recruitment tools.

Scotland
    Lol. Yes because being able to play a game can get you into the army...
    If You Believe In Something, It Will Exist. For As Long As You Live, Or Die, You Will Always Be Controlled By Beliefs And Compulsions. Mortal.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I like my games to not be army recruitment tools.
    Can't tell if serious.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first two CoD games, but after a while my attention turned to the Battlefield and Halo series for my multilayer kicks. The maps in the Modern Warfare series, from what I played, seem way too boxy and confined for my tastes, and the whole "yearly sequel" strategy is a good way to splinter your userbase. Activision used similar marketing tactics with the now dead Guitar Hero series, which can't bode well for further sequels, especially when the all look and play so similarly.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 01-Nov-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Damn swype

England
    I enjoyed the first two Call of Duty games set in world war 2, at the time they beat Medal of Honor and were both entertaining and quite educational to play, I never played the third game. Ever since then I think CoD has been aimed at ADD gamers, they're well presented with nice graphics etc but I just think they're all style & no substance now, especially the multiplayer which chavs seem to foam at the mouth over but I find lacks depth. I prefer Arma 2 and the Battlefield games for my combat fix

Scotland
    Battlefield has nothing on mw now in my opinion. Especially since the beta trial put me off bf3.

England
    I'm playing the full version of BF3 and its awesome, the beta was just that, a beta. I paired up with a couple of my mates last night and had a cracking time playing as a squad, the maps are huge and the vehicles/aircraft let you take full advantage of it, great graphics, full on scenery destruction etc. Bearing in mind I'm playing on the PC, none of this console junk where they've had to make the maps smaller I just think the CoD series has disappeared up its own arse with the last couple of games which is a shame seen as they started out so well with the first 2 games & the first modern warfare.

United States
    Black Ops killed the series for me.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've played all of the main CoD games (i.e. not the console exclusives).

CoD1 was a big punch in the face to Medal of Honor, and CoD2 was jaw-dropping action. Then CoD3 wasn't by Infinity Ward and it was pretty naff ... but then CoD4 came out and it was EPIC. CoD5 was a big improvement for the team behind the lacklustre and sloppy CoD3, but compared to MW1 it was still kind of 'videogamey' ... MW2 had terrible plot holes, and it was a bit too 'always full-on', plus the single player campaign was ridiculously short (4 to 5 hours simply isn't good enough, and more shooters are copying this model rather annoyingly), but on the other hand it was immensely action packed.

Now, CoD:BO was interesting ... nothing much changed, but it did put effort into the story ... indeed, too much, or rather, you're trying to play the game but Sam Worthington's constant voice over is dull and intrusive, and all the constant flashes of this, that, and the other get in the way of enjoying the actual levels at times. It doesn't hold up as well on repeat play throughs though, whereas MW2 is surprisingly resiliant because of its MASSIVE & OTT ACTION style - if you want epic battles and action drama, then MW2 provides that in spades ... I just hope that MW3 has a plot that isn't shot full of holes and considered secondary to the action ... the foot doesn't have to be on the gas pedal all the time.

So I am looking forward to playing MW3, but I'll be putting it on my list to Santa ... gone are the days that I pre-ordered CoD games to get them straight away at full price ... no, these days I like to only pay full price for games I can get as many hours out of as possible and/or games that really excite me. I think CoD games need to either stop, or freshen up significantly, after MW3 is done and dusted. MW3 will close a trilogy arc and it'd be better to go out on a high note for a while ... but I bet you there'll be yet another one out next year from the factory line.

As for the multiplayer - I've never once played it, and I see absolutely zero appeal in doing so. I can't stand that manic running around shooting petulant teenagers in the face vibe ... but then again, personally I despise this obsessed by games companies in cramming multiplayer into any and all games at the expense of the single player campaign.

Scotland
    Mr. Clean... Black Ops isnt part of the modern warfare series. And MinionZombie.. Bra-Fucking-Vo! Excellent opinion there. .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksider18 View Post
    And MinionZombie.. Bra-Fucking-Vo! Excellent opinion there. .
    Flattery will get you everywhere.

MW3 certainly looks epic anyway - literally World War 3. Looking forward to some big scale OTT action drama and "woah" moments ... although I would love to see a campaign that isn't stupidly short ... that said, no campaign can be shorter than that of Homefront (which was a flawed, but commendable game - interestingly, Crytek are apparently making the sequel).

Scotland
    Yeah i wasnt really that into the Homefront campaign. And the multiplayer had the blue chip glitch. :/. Theres a sequel?? :O.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Has anyone played the new MW yet?
    I'll probably bash through the single player but no way I'm buying it.

-- -------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As for the multiplayer - I've never once played it, and I see absolutely zero appeal in doing so. I can't stand that manic running around shooting petulant teenagers in the face vibe ... but then again, personally I despise this obsessed by games companies in cramming multiplayer into any and all games at the expense of the single player campaign.
    I agree with everything you said about COD games. I'd personally ramp up the profanity and bitching a bit but ultimately you hit the nail on the head regarding my concerns with this series. I also agree regarding MP sections of games, that the market has shifted in focus to concentrate on these people.
    It's a shame...but I do think MP is necessary for most games - if not a deathmatch style thing, a co-op is almost a must for nearly every game. Portal 2 co-op was phenomenal, such a great way of solving puzzles with mates - and various shooty games like Halo have always been fun.

But COD has zapped the life out of consoles and it's zapped the life out of multiplayer solidarity. Which is a shame.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Speaking of CoD:MW3 - please people, no spoilers about the single player campaign (the only bit I'm interested in) - if you do mention anything that's a spoiler, wrap it in spoiler tags (check the FAQ via the link at the top of the forum if you don't know how ... or Andy's instructions in the shoutbox that were in relation to TWD spoilers).

I watched a review of MW3 on Machinima, and the vast majority of the video was focused on the sodding MP, and this pisses me off - they didn't even bother to mention the length of the SP campaign (although it's no doubt as brief, albeit explosively so, as the previous games *sigh*). There needs to be a better focus on the SP campaigns in these games, I'm sick of this pandering to the MP market at the great expense of the SP market ... and with games that aren't CoD or BF, it's doubly annoying, because MP on games that aren't CoD or BF just aren't going to last at all long - so what's the friggin' point?!

/rant

Super Moderator

United States
    I come at it from exactly the opposite direction from you guys. I don't even know how much effort I'll put into starting a campaign on either Battlefield 3 or the new Modern Warfare--they always seem to be flat and uninspired in these military shooters nowadays, anyway. That said, they are decently designed, brainless, glitz-enhanced 1st person, multiplayer shooters which, for me, make for good disposable entertainment when I want to blow 15 minutes at a clip and not get sucked into something else with more scope.

Not really excited too much about the new Modern Warfare, though I do like the handling and controls better than BF3, I do think the Battlefield series has more legs from the obvious angle of teamwork and map design.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany