Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah, I agree that it wasn’t necessary but at the same time, it doesn’t hurt the film, IMO. The Alien bookends were only there to explain the origin of the slugs. I don’t recall there being any other purpose than that. I do need to revisit the film, though.

In the theatrical edit, is there an explanation for the slugs, or they just appear? I know the graveyard/spaceship ending wasn’t there, but was the little alien battle still at the head of the film?
    Oh aye, I think the only difference between the cuts is the ending. So it actually makes more sense in the director's cut because it is bookended with a space ship, rather than seeing one at the beginning and then never again.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Oh aye, I think the only difference between the cuts is the ending. So it actually makes more sense in the director's cut because it is bookended with a space ship, rather than seeing one at the beginning and then never again.
    I was never a fan of those type of endings. I'd rather they just exclude those bookends completely. It's like Saving Private Ryan, at the end I've completely forgotten that we're watching the recollections of an old man (and I don't think the narrative within works at all to be honest. What, is this old geezer standing there and remembering some general reading a letter from Abe Lincoln, in his HQ back in the states?).

Rising

United States
    The intro with the aliens in Night of the Creeps is obviously there to give the appearance of the critters on Earth an explanation. It could have been something else, of course, like say, an accident at a biological lab in our planet, for example. But the scriptwriter decided it was due to aliens. His call. He wrote the story. Nothing more to it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I was never a fan of those type of endings. I'd rather they just exclude those bookends completely. It's like Saving Private Ryan, at the end I've completely forgotten that we're watching the recollections of an old man (and I don't think the narrative within works at all to be honest. What, is this old geezer standing there and remembering some general reading a letter from Abe Lincoln, in his HQ back in the states?).
    I like the opening of Night of the Creeps. It works well with the mash-up of genres that is the script, you're immediately thrown into some action, and it's a fun contrast as you go from that to 1950s America in black and white. Plus, it's basically the inciting incident for the whole movie.

As for Saving Private Ryan ... well, you don't have to be so literal about it. Obviously the old man isn't remembering the scenes his character wasn't there for.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Kinda funny that Scream Factory has announced a new release of Night of the Creeps right after we were discussing it: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...711bd-89053217

....with a Tom Atkins figure! My life is now complete.

Super Moderator

UK
    That's pretty sweet! Love the new cover art they've done for it, too!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Fellow David Lynch fans.....Criterion is releasing Blue Velvet!!!

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/da...on-1202045078/

4K digital restoration transfer, 70 minute making-of doc, feature length “meditation” by Peter Braatz, the 51 minute “lost footage” reel, and more.

I’ll be havin’ that, thank you!

Super Moderator

UK
    I bought the previous release (imported, actually, as it was region free), the 25th Anniversary one that was put out in 2011 - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blue-.../20175/#Review -, and it has the making of and the deleted scenes, so I won't be double dipping this time around.

However, if folks don't already have Blue Velvet in their collection, then this will very much be worthwhile getting. The making of and deleted scenes are excellent.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, the main special features have been previously released, so really the only appeal would be if the picture quality is improved. Criterion generally does a fantastic job with their restorations, so hopefully it turns out well. I imagine they’ll probably produce some new, smaller featurettes as well. I don’t have the previous release, so if this is anything like Criterion’s past efforts like Night....I’ll be all over it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    On my kitchen table, ready to be sorted into the stands;

The Night of the Sorcerers / The Loreley's Grasp, two Armando Ossario horrors from the 70s. Releasted by Sream Factory.
    Nemesis, by Albert Pyun. Old 90's scifi action. Low budget, but highly intensive and violent.
    Jungle Holocaust by Ruggero Deodato. His first cannibal flick, which was probably released as something else and then relabelled Jungle Holocaust after the success of Cannibal Holocaust
    The Psychic by Lucio Fulci. A strong giallo with paranormal overtones! I love this one. Also known as Seven Notes in Black. The theme song was featured in Kill Bill 1 quite extensively.
    Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things by Bob Clark. One of the best non-Romero zombie flicks out there.
    Opera by Dario Argento. It's been awhile since I saw this. I can't remember much about it except the keyhole murder and the punk rock.
    The Possessed and The Fifth Cord, two giallos by Luigi Bassoni. The Fifth Cord is amazing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I love how you guys tend to also collect lesser-known films like those. I need to do some research and dive deeper like y’all do. Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things seems like it may be a good place to start, as I’ve recently been seeking out those kinds of smaller zombie films of the past.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I love how you guys tend to also collect lesser-known films like those. I need to do some research and dive deeper like y’all do. Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things seems like it may be a good place to start, as I’ve recently been seeking out those kinds of smaller zombie films of the past.
    I collect almost exclusively cult films. Partly because other films I can just watch on Netflix and whatnot, and partly because that's primarily my taste (these days, at least).

However if you haven't seem Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things do yourself a favor and seek it out. It's a great, slow burning zombie flick from the early 70's. The zombies are spot on and there's a feeling of dread over most of the film. I assume you likewise haven't seen The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue then? Give that a go as well. Two of the best non-Romero zombie flicks out there.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've been eyeing up The Fifth Cord, so I must get my mits on it some time.

Like Ned, the bulk of my purchases are "cult" films from labels like Arrow Video and 88 Films, with sprinklings coming from other places. Although I do still buy up-to-date fare, but usually only the ones I really want and know I will watch multiple times.

I never really got into Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. I liked bits of it, but generally I just didn't see what the fuss was about. I couldn't really get into it. Now, The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue (which IIRC bassman saw just recently, but wasn't all that fussed about), on the other hand, that's one I've seen a few times now and really enjoy.

I've been on a full blown Netflix bender these last few weeks since getting it, so the only thing I've bought is a cheap copy of Sausage Party.

I'm salivating at the prospect of the Second Sight releases of Dawn of the Dead and Martin, though - Lee Karr's been posting some pictures from location tours (with guides) that will be included in the special features.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I collect almost exclusively cult films. Partly because other films I can just watch on Netflix and whatnot, and partly because that's primarily my taste (these days, at least).

However if you haven't seem Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things do yourself a favor and seek it out. It's a great, slow burning zombie flick from the early 70's. The zombies are spot on and there's a feeling of dread over most of the film. I assume you likewise haven't seen The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue then? Give that a go as well. Two of the best non-Romero zombie flicks out there.
    I’ve seen Morgue a couple times, but I’ve yet to find Children. Just re-watched the former a couple weeks ago after discussing it with someone here, actually.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I’ve seen Morgue a couple times, but I’ve yet to find Children. Just re-watched the former a couple weeks ago after discussing it with someone here, actually.
    Probably me... I rewatched it recently as well.