Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

Rising

United States
    Actually it was with me.

I second the opinion of MinionZombie above. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie is a quite better film than Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things. Jorge Grau was a much more capable filmmaker, and also had more resources than the folks who made Children. This last movie is a much more humble effort. Its main claim to fame is that it was made in the early 70s, quite before Dawn reignited a huge wave of "zombie fever" (which affected all zombie movies since the late 70s.) It also doesn't take place in the middle of a full-blown ongoing zombie crisis but shows the beginning of one. As such, it is more fair to compare it with Romero's Night rather than his later output. Same thing for Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    UHD owners: Alien is coming soon.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2471

BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM, COMPLETED IN 2018 BY 20TH CENTURY FOX AT COMPANY 3/DELUXE ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES CORP., SUPERVISED BY RIDLEY SCOTT AND PAM DERY, WITH THE 4K SCANS DONE AT EFILM

No word on a full Anthology set just yet. If the standard blu ray is any indication, this release should be gorgeous!
    Attached Images

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    One of James Cameron’s regular digital intermediate editors, Skip Kimball, shared this post today:

The Abyss is one of Cameron’s few films that have yet to get an HD release of any kind. I love this movie and feel like it often doesn’t get mentioned enough due to Cameron’s unusually extensive list of amazing and classic films. It’s also one where the extended cut(last released on regular DVD) works exceptionally well, kinda taking the place of the theatrical cut, IMO.

There’s also been talk of True Lies getting the restoration and 4K treatment. I thoroughly enjoy both of these films and they’ll be a day-one purchase for me!
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Mar-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh, sweet! Likewise, I'm a fan of The Abyss (I've got the director's cut on VHS ), and True Lies is also a hella fun flick.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    For the 35th and 30th Anniversaries of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II this year, Sony will be releasing the films in a 4K steelbook box set with all new special features and commentaries!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24909

The special features disc includes more than two hours of long-requested and rare archival elements—including never-before-seen deleted scenes from the first film—along with returning interviews, effects breakdowns, multi-angle explorations and much more! Both films also feature BRAND NEW commentaries, featuring the filmmakers on GHOSTBUSTERS II and passionate fans with deep-cut insights on GHOSTBUSTERS.

ALL-NEW & RARE ARCHIVAL SPECIAL FEATURES:

GHOSTBUSTERS
    Fan Commentary featuring Troy Benjamin and Chris Stewart (Interdimensional Crossrip podcast), Ashley Victoria Robinson (Geek History Lesson podcast) and Sean Bishop (Ghostbusters prop replica expert), moderated by Ghost Corps' Eric Reich
    6 Rare & Newly Unearthed Deleted Scenes, including the long-requested Fort Detmerring scenes!
    Also includes Raw Takes for the Central Park Bums sequence
    1984 ShoWest Exhibitor Reel, featuring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd pitching an early reel of footage to theatrical exhibitors!
    Full Ghostbusters TV Commercial from the film
    Ghostbusters TV Commercial Outtakes
    "A Moment With the Stars" – Original EPK Featurette
    Original Domestic Teaser Trailer
    Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)

GHOSTBUSTERS II
    Commentary featuring Director Ivan Reitman, Star/Co-Writer Dan Aykroyd and Executive Producer Joe Medjuck
    "The Oprah Winfrey Show: Cast of Ghostbusters II" – June 1989
    Full Ghostbusters II Theatrical EPK
    Rare Unfinished Teaser Trailer – featuring the full commercial from the film!
    Original Stereo Audio for the Feature (Blu-ray only)
    THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS
    "The Real Ghostbusters - Pitch Concept Pilot" - A Fan Restoration by Robert Barbieri

ALSO INCLUDES(previously available):

GHOSTBUSTERS
    Commentary featuring Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis and Joe Medjuck
    Slimer Mode Picture-in-Picture Track
    "Tricks and Trivia" Text Commentary
    10 Deleted Scenes
    Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective
    1984 Featurette
    SFX Featurette
    Cast and Crew Featurette
    Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
    Multi-Angle Explorations
    Storyboard Comparison
    Alternate TV Version Takes
    "Ghostbusters" Music Video by Ray Parker, Jr.
    Photo Galleries
    Trailers
    International Teaser Trailer
    Domestic Theatrical Trailer
    30th Anniversary Theatrical Trailer

GHOSTBUSTERS II
    7 Deleted Scenes
    Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond
    "On Our Own" Music Video by Bobby Brown
    Photo Galleries
    Trailers
    Domestic Teaser Trailer
    Domestic Theatrical Trailer
    International Theatrical Trailer

I love that they’ve gone back to the more simplistic covers reminiscent of the VHS boxes. I’d prefer that it be the original logo rather than the “hands” variant, but it’s a win simply for ditching the awful green and blue slime covers they’ve used for the past twenty years.

Now the question is whether to spring for this release, or hold out for the inevitable trilogy box set when Jason’s Ghostbusters III gets it’s home release?...
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Apr-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Oh boy, what's new for me?

I picked up Scream Factory's Paul Naschy collection volume 1 and 2, which include a total of 10 spanish horror films from the 70's featuring Paul Naschy in the lead.
    Arrow also recently released their Jose Ramon Larraz' box of 3 films. So that's another 3 spanish genre films from that era...
    88 Films released 2 cannibal films, one french and one italian, recently. The Green Inferno (aka Cannibal Holocaust 2, not the Eli Roth film) and Cannibal Terror. Also bought that.

In a good place for trash cinema, it seems.

Super Moderator

UK
    Thanks to the onslaught that is my recent Netflix watch list I've not bought much at all. I did get a DVD of "Formula For A Murder" and "The Night Porter", but other than that I've been biding my time for a good sale or getting other things (some of the prices on Arrow Blu-Rays etc at the moment take the piss).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    MZ - I seem to recall having a discussion about our enjoyment of John Carpenter’s Vampires. Scream Factory has a special edition on the way!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    MZ - I seem to recall having a discussion about our enjoyment of John Carpenter’s Vampires. Scream Factory has a special edition on the way!
    It's a film I had mixed feelings about originally (the opening is so friggin' awesome, then almost the whole team gets bumped off and it becomes a different vibe) ... however, I watched it again a few years ago and I enjoyed it more on its own terms, and I'd certainly like to see it again.

We had a Blu-Ray release in the UK a year or two ago, although I've not got around to buying it yet...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd like to rewatch it.

Super Moderator

UK
    There was a two-for-one sale on Arrow Video Blu-Rays, naturally I got stuck in.

Trapped Alive
    The Annihilators
    The Suspicious Death of a Minor
    The Initiation

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Figured I'd post my collection, here it is;

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...n.php?u=434962

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Got a pretty impressive haul today;

From Vinegar Syndrome:
    the Forgotten Gialli box set 3 (i have 1 and 2 already) with Autopsy, Murder Mansion and Crazy Desires of a Murderer.
    The mexican A Nightmare on Elm Street ripoff Dimensiones Ocultas
    Count Dracula's Great Love with Paul Naschy
    Umberto Lenzi's later film Hitcher in the Dark

From Cauldron films,
    The spanish demonic zombie flick Beyond Terror and one of the better giallos out there: The Crimes of the Black Cat.

and assorted:
    Synapse's amazing release of The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (one of the best non-Romero zombie flicks ever made)
    Scorpion's release of Fury of the Wolfman, again with Naschy
    and even more Naschy with Full Moon's gothic horror Orgy of the Living Dead aka The Hanging Woman