Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

Undisclosed
    Used baby!!!!! Same product for a less expensive price!!!!! The place where I buy my used DVD and VHS will let you look at the disc before you purchase it and if it doesn't work when you get it home, you can return it!

USED!!!!!!
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    <ahem>TDR<ahem>

The Devil's Rejects was November 2005. I remember cause you bought the DVD for me and I picked it up from you. I bought WTL and Cinder Man in December 05 January 06...
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Ya know... I bought Walk the Line when it came out on DVD and Conderella Man, and to be honest those were the last decent films I have seen in a long time. However, cars was the most recent good flick i have caught. Everything else is garbage.

The Devil's Rejects was November 2005. I remember cause you bought the DVD for me and I picked it up from you. I bought WTL and Cinder Man in December 05 January 06...

Oh, so that 2 months makes that big of a difference? You never said anything about the year, you said "last decent films I have seen in a long time"

November of 2005 is less than a year. It ain't been a long time my friend.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    Oh, so that 2 months makes that big of a difference? You never said anything about the year, you said "last decent films I have seen in a long time"

November of 2005 is less than a year. It ain't been a long time my friend.
    Ok, I stand corrected. The last round of decent films I have watched are:

Cinderella Man
    Cars
    Walk The Line
    The Devils Rejects

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Almost all the dvds in my collection have been bought new except for a few which have been OOP for years thus I'm relegated to buying it used or at least repackaged.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

United States
    Ok, I stand corrected. The last round of decent films I have watched are:

Cinderella Man
    Cars
    Walk The Line
    The Devils Rejects

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullaryx
    Almost all the dvds in my collection have been bought new except for a few which have been OOP for years thus I'm relegated to buying it used or at least repackaged.
    I admit I buy more used that new, and I do tons of leeching... Praise Netflix/Blockbuster Online!

Although I also have 5 different versions of one film, DAWN 1978 and Army of Darkness. I wish I could ow every DVD ever made, but Damn there is just so many of them fockers!
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 27-Jun-2006 at 05:16 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bringing this thread back from the dead! I was nearly certain that we had a “Recent DVD/Blu Ray Purchases” thread, but this one is as close as I could find. Maybe a mod could be so kind as to move it to media and make the title more fitting?

I wanted to find the thread because I’ve been splurging on Blu Rays lately, and I know there are quite a few other members that do the same and like myself, still prefer physical media over digital downloads.. This could help give heads’ up to members about upcoming releases, reviews, etc.

As I said, the past few nights I’ve stayed up combing Amazon for good releases and ended up with the following:

“Rod Serling’s Night Gallery”: The Complete Series. Only available on standard DVD and I’ve only begun to go through it all, but as “Twilight Zone” is my favorite show of all time, I HAD to get this and I’m enjoying it this far. It’s really cheap on Amazon for the complete series in one nice box. I friggin love Rod Serling.

“Halloween: The Complete Collection”: as the title suggests, it’s Blu Ray with every entry starting with Carpenter’s original and even includes the Rob Zombie remakes. It’s absolutely packed with enjoyable documentaries, commentaries, etc. for being such an inclusive set, it’s also really cheap. I think I paid 30 bucks for that many films.

“The Burbs”: Shout Favtory recently released this collectors edition Blu ray of Joe Dante’s underrated classic with commentary, feature-length documentary, excellent picture quality, and newly commissioned artwork for the cover. Highly recommended purchase!!!

“Universal Monsters: The Essential Blu Ray Collection”: Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Invisible Man, Wolfman, Bride of Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera, and Creature From the Black Lagoon, all in one nice neat case. Fantastic features and the restorations are phenomenal when you consider the age of the product they’re working with. To my knowledge, this is the only set that includes Bride and Creature, for whatever reasons. It’s actually an Ireland release, but is universally compatible with all players. WELL worth the purchase.

I’m still shopping Amazon for more and was hoping someone here might be able to answer this for me....so the US R1 release of Creepshow is an absolute crap barebones release. Could anyone tell me if the other region SE is region unlocked? There’s also the option to by the barebones BR of the film and then separately purchase the “Just Desserts”. That doc BR has quite a bit of other features in and of itself, are those on the SE of “Creepshow”, as well?

These are the extra features on “Just Desserts”:
    Audio Commentary with Director & Editor Michael Felsher
    Audio Commentary featuring interviews with Actor John Amplas, Property Master Bruce Alan Miller, and Make-Up Effects Assistant Darryl Ferrucci
    Creepshow Days An interview with Director of Photography, Director Michael Gornick
    Extended Interview Segments with George A. Romero, Tom Savini, and Bernie Wrightson
    Behind The Screams A compilation of on-set video footage from Tom Savini
    Horror's Hallowed Grounds with Sean Clark
    Scream Greats Volume One: Tom Savini, Master of Horror Effects with Optional Audio Commentary with Tom Savini
    Vintage 1982 Evening Magazine Segment shot on the set of the film, featuring rare cast & crew interviews
    Behind-The-Scenes of CREEPSHOW Photo Gallery

**EDIT**
    So after further research, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Region 2 SE of the first film is out of print, virtually impossible to find, and if you do find it, they’re price gouging like crazy. So if anyone is in the same boat as me, go to Amazon and find the barebones Blu ray, then you’ll see at the bottom that you can get that bare release with Just Desserts, as well as the special edition of Creepshow 2. All three for 50 bucks. Not bad. I would’ve really loved to have had Romero’s commentary for the first film, but it looks like that’s just not an option anymore. Not until the make another pressing, but I read that is highly unlikely.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Jun-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    “Rod Serling’s Night Gallery”: The Complete Series. Only available on standard DVD and I’ve only begun to go through it all, but as “Twilight Zone” is my favorite show of all time, I HAD to get this and I’m enjoying it this far. It’s really cheap on Amazon for the complete series in one nice box. I friggin love Rod Serling.
    Those paintings and sculptures during the intro sequences for each episode must be highly sought after by collectors. They were specifically made for the show, one-of-a-kind pieces.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I collect cult films on Blu-Ray as a broad interest, with a specialization in italian genre film.
    Here's a link to my BR collection;

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=434962

Super Moderator

UK
    Thread moved and re-titled for more fitting placement as requested.

I've had a bit of a splurge recently, too. I've got well beyond 700 DVDs in my collection and well over 200 Blu-Rays now. Picked up ten new Blu-Rays in a sale:

1) Don't Torture A Duckling (the Arrow Video release - excellent as always from those guys)
    2) Blood Simple (the Director's Cut - hadn't seen it before, but now I have - includes the Coen's 'fake trailer', which is a must-watch for Evil Dead fans to spot familiar shots, sound effects, and a certain someone)
    3) The Last American Virgin (Arrow Video - did a review of it, posted about it in my MZ Movie Review thread)
    4) Zombie Creeping Flesh (aka Hell of the Living Dead - 88 Films' release)
    5) From Beyond (Second Sight)
    6) Coffy (Arrow Video - excellent extras, looks fantastic)
    7) Deranged (Arrow Video - the one where the old snow shovel guy from Home Alone plays a version of Ed Gein, effects by Tom Savini, and there's a good commentary with Savini, too)
    8) The Mutilator (Arrow Video - uncut and stuffed with extras)
    9) The House On Sorority Row (88 Films)
    10) Black Sunday (Arrow Video)

I've also got Arrow Video's upcoming limited edition of Last House On The Left pre-ordered. New extras, new restoration (uncut), fancy packaging (kind of like they did for The Thing - I got the limited edition release of that, too, which went OOP way before the release date!).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I recently picked up Black Sunday too, in the latest Arrow sale.

As for other british companies, I keep an eye on Screenbound pictures, 88 Films, Shameless.

American companies I usually buy Mondo Macabro, Code Red, Scorpion, Severin, Scream Factory and Raro.

Might have missed some. I know some people like Kino Lorber, I haven't picked up any of theirs yet.

EDIT: There's also a small american company named Dorado which releases reeeaaal obscure stuff.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 17-May-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fdss

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Picked up quite a few releases recently...

Night of the Living Dead(Criterion Edition): Wow, I’m kinda mad at myself for waiting so long to get this. AMAZING release! Without a doubt the definitive edition for Nignt, an absolute must for fans to pick up!

Creepshow 2(Arrow release): This is my first time seeing Creepshow 2. Surprisingly I’d somehow avoided it over the years even though I love the original. As I’m sure others would agree, it doesn’t hold up quite as well as the original, but is still a fun genre flick. This release comes with a large selection of features that were very enjoyable. Including a commentary with Gornick, that’s moderated very well by Perry Martin, who also did the Dawn Ultimate Edition.

Return of the Living Dead(Shout Factory Collectors Edition): Some of you may remember that I used to be quite harsh on this film in the past, but eventually I came around to embrace it for the tongue in cheek 80’s goofiness of it all. This release has TONS of features, including multiple commentaries and a feature length documentary, which I’m a big fan of. If you like this flick, this is likely the best release there will ever be and I highly suggest everyone picking it up.

Re-Animator(Arrow Special Edition): Just as I’d said about Return, this is a fantastic released packed with very entertaining features and will likely be the definitive final release. Very happy with this purchase and I highly recommend it! Considering picking up its two sequels, as I’ve never seen them at all. Any thoughts on those?

Just Desserts: The Making of Creepshow(Special Edition): I missed out on getting the Arrow release of Creepshow when it was released, so getting this documentary separately was my best option at this point. It also comes with a large number of special features, which is a nice bonus. Extended interviews, a very informative commentary track about its creation, and Fangoria’s “Scream Greats: Tom Savini”, which was filmed shortly after the release of Day and covers Savini’s career to that point. I LOVE this release and any Region 1 folks that missed out on the previous special edition should definitely get it. I’d even say it’s worth a double dip for folks that DO have the previous release. Worth every penny.

All of these were purchased through Amazon and were all under $20. I’m still going through some of the features and commentaries and loving every second of it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Have you picked up Arrow's release of The Crazies?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Re-Animator(Arrow Special Edition): Just as I’d said about Return, this is a fantastic released packed with very entertaining features and will likely be the definitive final release. Very happy with this purchase and I highly recommend it! Considering picking up its two sequels, as I’ve never seen them at all. Any thoughts on those?

Just Desserts: The Making of Creepshow(Special Edition): I missed out on getting the Arrow release of Creepshow when it was released, so getting this documentary separately was my best option at this point. It also comes with a large number of special features, which is a nice bonus. Extended interviews, a very informative commentary track about its creation, and Fangoria’s “Scream Greats: Tom Savini”, which was filmed shortly after the release of Day and covers Savini’s career to that point. I LOVE this release and any Region 1 folks that missed out on the previous special edition should definitely get it. I’d even say it’s worth a double dip for folks that DO have the previous release. Worth every penny.
    Arrow's release of "Bride of Re-Animator" is excellent. Crammed full with features and has the theatrical and uncut versions of the film. Highly recommended.

Ah yes, that Creepshow making of was on the 2-disc UK DVD from several years ago. A rare occasion of the UK getting a superior release to America.

Agreed on the Criterion release of Night - it's superb. I got it when it came out. Excellent release, the only downside for me was the packaging felt a bit flimsy for such a landmark of cinema (Arrow has done a few limited edition releases of titles such as The Bird With The Crystal Plumage or The Thing etc, which have thick card outer boxes and a traditional plastic case for the movie itself), whereas Criterion's packaging was a bit naff (especially the irritating way the discs are held). Aside from that, though, the release was great.