Thread: Dead Rising 2: Off The Record

United States

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record

Ok, I tried using the screwy search function and didn't find any posts about this. If there are, well, sue me.

Anyone dip their feet into this game? My son picked this up for his 360, and after playing for about 30 minutes or so, he said this: "This is what Dead Rising 2 SHOULD have been!"

Basically, instead of playing as Chuck Greene, the story is now told as if it was Frank West who went through what Chuck did in DR2. Well, sort of. Actually, you run into Chuck in the game - with some interesting results.

They added more weapons, weapon combos, news levels, and a fresh sandbox mode. While they change some bits of the story (no longer are you Chuck looking for Zombrex for your kid, now Frank is looking for Zombrex for himself), it's almost the same as the original DR2 but with just enough variance to make it another fun blast through the game.

Anyone give it a shot yet? I think it's $39 on Best Buy's right now. According to my son, regardless if it's mostly a re-hash of the original DR2, it's more fun and, like he said, the way "DR2 should've been done in the first place"

United States
    i was considering picking this up when it went to 20 bucks. i was pretty let down by DR2, not sure why....probably the setting, goofy main villain, and the shitty obligatory mp mode.

i've heard there's a few new areas and bosses, but even with that, it's still not worth 40 bones to me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    tried 2 a month or two ago and go so far and quit. somehow they gave you a larger area but made it feel even more constricting and imprisoning. dead rising is a very novel idea but it will never be the top tier title it should be till someone other than capcom gets a try at it.
    Last edited by Danny; 03-Nov-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: ghjghj

United States

Super Moderator

United States
    I can't ever seem to get too far into the games...I always hate the camera controls...or the fact that the camera views are of such concern when playing the game.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    I did get further into the story than DR1, but there's never enough time and motherfuckers are too hard to fight - like those bitches in the nightclub - that's where I got stuck repeatedly and just said "fuck this, I'm just going to kill zeds and level up" ... I then played the story mode with a trainer on the PC later on.

I think I know what Danny means though, there are certain things about the Dead Rising games, and a certain approach that has been taken with them, that is distinctly Capcom - if it was in the hands of an entirely different company, you might get a better version ... but who knows ... this isn't to say there isn't stuff to like (and love) about the DR games, but they're not AAA titles in my mind due to certain things that don't help the overall product and gameplay experience.

Still, I've had many an hour out of the two games just running around killing zeds - but that only gets you so far, and only gives you so much out of the overall potential experience.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Nov-2011 at 05:33 PM.