Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x04 "Cherokee Rose" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Sooo let me get episode #2-04 straight:

-Absolutely no one thinks it's weird that Shane brought Rick's pistol (originally lent to Otis) back after he also mentions that they were "down to pistols" during his speech at Otis' funeral rock-piling thing...

-Glenn & farmer girl ride to the pharmacy, hitch the horses (leaving their potentially yummy goodness to any zeds that might happen by) and go inside for supplies & to bump uglies...

-Lori "passes" her test (who didn't see THAT one coming and while we're at it, who cares)...

-Rick retires his for-some-weird-reason-no-longer-bloodstained uniform...

(sigh) The TWD writers are not pissing on my leg and telling me that it's raining, they're pissing on my leg and TELLING me that they're pissing on my leg! Grrrr!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 07-Nov-2011 at 03:56 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Dead

United States
    I'd have to agree that it was relatively uneventful. I thought the same about episode 2. I'm not let down though. They can't all be as intense.
    I'm satisfied with Glenn getting to be the "go to town on Maggie expert". I've read the comics, not every single one and not for a few years now though, but there's alot I don't remember.

1 thing that keeps recurring that bugs me is there's never a well thought out plan regarding any of their actions. No backup plans are ever made or anything. Glenn gets lowered into the well with nothing but a flashlight. How can you not have the forethought to anticipate a potential problem in that scenario? The rope could break? The thing on the bottom could grab hold too well, someone could let go of the rope up top. So maybe bringing a decent sized blade of some sort would've been in order? If it was me going down that damn well, I'd make sure to have more than 1 blade. A firearm wouldn't be practical in that situation, but a long blade that could penetrate the skull would definitely be with me.

Undisclosed
    Expect more young romance and soap opera type conflicts in the upcomming post-darabont and possibly post-kirkman season 3 of TWD! The show will take on issues more conducive to attracting the young hip audience that craves "reality" show plotlines.

Twitching

United States
    I wasn't so much analyzing as expressing what I felt to be the shortfall between my hopes for this episode and the disappointing reality.
    Maybe it's as simple as my having difficulty relating to interpersonal scenes where one or more of the individuals involved behaves in a manner I would not behave as such in a million years. So when people push it to the opposite extremes of what I consider to be normal behavior, I tend to sort of tap my foot/drum my fingers on the nightstand and wait for said scene to end.

For me at least, and unlike every other Season 2 episode, there just wasn't anything that really drew me in. Oh sure, there were a few tidbits of info with potential, but overall just kinda left me checking the TV Guide channel during commercials to see how much longer it was gonna be before this episode would be over. Which, as a fluke, wouldn't be nearly as bad as coupling it with Merle's return. That was the 1st time that the scenes from next week didn't leave me hungry for more. Quite the opposite, in fact.

That's just my personal taste though. The mileage of others will no doubt vary.

United States
    So, here's a question to ponder. Does the baby belong to Rick or Shane?

No doubt in another 5 episodes when she finally decides to announce it (after reflecting on her situation for those 5 episodes before deciding it's best to tell everyone) to Rick/Shane and the rest of the Scooby gang there's going to be some interesting tension there. "Oh, by the way Rick, this might be Shane's baby." - yeah, stay tuned to S3 on that one.

Overall, I dig the show but I do have a complaint with the pacing this season. If this is the type of pacing we're expecting from these first four episodes maybe they should have left the show at six episodes per season instead of extending it to 13 to speed it along instead of inserting filler material like spending a good 20 minutes dealing with a zombie at the bottom of a well.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    I totally get the idea that every episode will not be an action episode; a 1 per 2 episode ratio would be fine. I just wish that the writers/director would pay more attention to a more logical continuity and try to avoid the trap of soap opera bull like "who's this baby's daddy."

A farmhouse during a zombie apocalype. Lights on like beacons in the night. No one guarding. Zombie goes swimming. Oi vey!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 07-Nov-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Great episode....Talking Dead showed......

Daryl fall off a horse and get stabbed by an arrow

United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they find a truck load of water in the first episode of this season? Why not go back and get that. :-X

Also, why couldn't they make a noose, hook it around the zombie's neck & haul him out of the well?

And wouldn't the well be contaminated anyway after they get it out? It's not like its going to be automatically purify after the fact.
    Last edited by Doc; 07-Nov-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Hopefully at this point this will prove to be the weakest episode of the season. I guess I must be craving the action. Again, where has the groups reasoning gone? Down the well with live bait?
    Let me ask how some of you could not be looking forward to Merle's return? He's exactly the ingredient needed to stir things up, cause it all to be twisted even more than it already is. I mean, he cut off his own hand to keep from being eaten alive. I can't wait to see the surprises he'll bring to the story and how it will upset the group.

Now tell me, how much time has elapsed since Lori and Shane went at it? Maybe it doesn't matter. But yeah she's sweating bullets. Or maybe she's worried she'll slow the the rest of them down with her mystery child.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

England
    So many different opinions on this show. I thought this was one of the best episodes along with episode 2. Its the first one that really felt like TWD comic. If I remember correctly, the Glen/Maggie fling happens exactly the same in the comic but in a different location. In fact the first few issues are full of characters shagging the arse off each other looking for comfort and intimacy
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Twitching

United States
    Personally,
    I see what you're getting at concerning Merle, but the Merle character is so unthinkingly shallow and stereotype-driven that it's difficult to visualize any plot threads involving Merle that could actually be enjoyable to watch. Same deal with Merle-as-plot-device adding to the quality of this season's overarching plot arc.

If Merle gains the upper hand (pun intended) over Rick and Co., think this is where Rick might get one of his hands chopped off? The comic readers among us have mentioned that plot device more than once...
    I am a little curious what's been going on with Merle in the intervening interval since we last saw him cuffed on the rooftop in Season 1/Ep. 2 "Guts", but not so curious I wanted Merle thrown back into this low-point in the story. This has nothing to do with action or no action. At least not for me. I just want story progress, mostly in the form of resolutions to plot points which have dragged,

Lastly, WTH is up with the all-but-zombie-free farm of Herschel's? And what's the deal with Maggie being fine with swooping in atop a galloping horse and smashing the deadhead about to eat Andrea, yet almost loses it when they terminate well-zombie? That was just bizarre for me.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post

If Merle gains the upper hand (pun intended) over Rick and Co., think this is where Rick might get one of his hands chopped off? The comic readers among us have mentioned that plot device more than once...

Kirkman has said that he regrets doing that in the comics and it won't happen in the tv show as it would be difficult to do and costly. Fx, shooting angles etc

Lastly, WTH is up with the all-but-zombie-free farm of Herschel's? And what's the deal with Maggie being fine with swooping in atop a galloping horse and smashing the deadhead about to eat Andrea, yet almost loses it when they terminate well-zombie? That was just bizarre for me.
    I think its safe to assume that the well zombie was one of her family.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Weakest episode so far this season for me.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Undisclosed
    I think my wife summed up the best feeling that I have about the last episode. When it ended, she looked across the couch from me and stated very bluntly.

"Ok. Seriously, they need to find this f-ing kid already. This has passed beyond being an interesting plot line into just pissing me off."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Its the first one that really felt like TWD comic.
    I agree. Imo that was a good thing, yet also a bad thing for this episode because I saw the Glenn/Maggie situation and the pregnancy situation coming from a mile away. I was kinda hoping for a bit more "off the path" story from the comics.

All these people complaining that the drama and "soap opera" aspects of this show are bringing it down should REALLY get their hands on the comics so they know whats in store for the rest of this series. If they find these recent revelations to be disappointing, they might as well give up now. TWD is drama. Not the Left 4 Dead zombie splatter hour.