Thread: FLV file question - VLC playback from disc...

Super Moderator

UK

Question FLV file question - VLC playback from disc...

Hey folks, not sure if anyone can help or has any suggestions, but I've been finding that long FLV files tend to prove problematic when playing them back after they've been burned to a disc (e.g. a DVD).

Now - the long FLV files (in this case a Q&A I downloaded from YouTube that runs about 45 minutes in one file) play fine from the computer, but once burned onto a disc, if you try to skip to a point later in the video (e.g. 10 minutes in, or much further) there will be a long delay before the video actually goes to that point in the video - if it even goes there at all.

Long files of other types (e.g. MPEG, AVI, WMV, etc) work just fine on computer and on disc playback (you can skip to any point you wish and it'll go there immediately) - but FLVs, if long enough, routinely cause trouble when playing back from a disc.

I'll update my video player later on, but does anyone have any ideas why this happens, and how I might fix the issue?

England
    Considered converting them to a different format? Pazera is a good free converter if you are willing to go down that route...

http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free...-10786669.html
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    your problem might be the compression of the original file to .flv format. flv's are compressed to hell and lose a lot of info in the process. that's why many of them artifact so badly. i'd follow legion's advice and convert them to a format like .mov or .avi. that ought to fix it. stay away from converting them to mpegs or wmvs. those use compression as well, so you'll lose even more info. you can convert to .avi or .mov uncompressed.

i've used a program called Kigo video converter before. it is easy to use and allows conversion to multiple formats. iSquint is another converter that is easy to use and let's you manage the quality and compression of the file you are working with.
    Last edited by Mike70; 06-Nov-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Turns out the latest version of VLC fixes the problem - I can skip right to the end of the aforementioned Q&A video, and anywhere I like throughout it, from a disc, and it goes there immediately - noiiice.