Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story (TV series)

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

American Horror Story (TV series)

Kinda surprised there isn't already a thread about this show. Anyone else watching this? I'm fuggin' addicted to it. About to watch the fifth episode right now, actually.

What's everyone's stance on the burned dude? Human or ghost? I say human, but have friends argue with me that he's a ghost.

Super Moderator

United States
    So it's actually good?! I was kind of waiting to hear if anything bubbled up to the surface on this one.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Been waiting on this as well but most of the feedback i've had is that its garbage
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can see why people don't like it (IE: the ghosts are pretty much in human form) but I love it. Only one way to find out for yourself...

United States
    Ooo I'm madly in love with this show because it just doesn't stop effing with you. Its feels like the film equivalent to finding a genie in a bottle and wishing for something and while its granted its done so in a totally fuct up way. Its one of those shows I find I have to watch the same episodes more than once because theres so much there that you'll miss it the first time and really it just keeps getting better. The burned guy... well now that we know about the powers of the 'property' I'm saying he's a ghost but ... he's in human form again =) So excited to see it tonite...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    I watched the first three episodes and decided to give it a rest after that. The main issue this show suffers from is that none of the characters are likeable in any way. They are all shitty people that deserve shitty fates. The husband and wife are basically scum - the sooner they die off the better.

If you have a show with no likeable characters - why bother investing time or energy in caring what happens to them? They are all vile people.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i gave it a fair shake and watched the first couple but hated it, went to my usual review sites and it was unanimous slamming on this. its faux 2deep4u bullshit is absolutely terrible. In that 'i like it how they make stuff up but i feel smart because its sooo deep!' kind of way. its just not a good show.

Administrator

England
    So do I bother watching it or not then?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So do I bother watching it or not then?
    Did you watch the new "Battlestar Galactica"? By comparison, the characters in this show make the characters in nu-BSG look like warm and friendly folks who just need a hug on a bad day. That's how vile these people are for the most part. The most sympathetic character in "American Horror" is the guy who killed his entire family.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Ireland
    I'm sort of enjoying it. If that makes any sense.

But, at the moment, I'm easily pleased. We're still out of our flooded house and there's not much to do in the evenings. My entertainment is centered on TV now, unfortunately.

It's not terrible, but I don't know if I'd bother if I had other things to do to pass the time.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    i gave it a fair shake and watched the first couple but hated it, went to my usual review sites and it was unanimous slamming on this. its faux 2deep4u bullshit is absolutely terrible. In that 'i like it how they make stuff up but i feel smart because its sooo deep!' kind of way. its just not a good show.
    thank you for saving me time typing. i gave it a fair shake as well and have decided that it's not the sort of thing i enjoy.

i think this show is one of those taste things. you are either going to love it or think it's pretty much in the "meh" category.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    thank you for saving me time typing. i gave it a fair shake as well and have decided that it's not the sort of thing i enjoy.

i think this show is one of those taste things. you are either going to love it or think it's pretty much in the "meh" category.
    Yep, definitely the consensus when I talked to groups of people about it. Generally half blurt out "I f*cking love that show!" while the other half groan.

The more I watch of it, the more I realize it's not something that's my usual style, so I'm not sure why I actually like it, but... I do, so whatever!

EDIT: I also really like this current season of TWD, and people whom I pretty much always agree with on shows/movies are bashing the hell out of it. So, maybe I've subconsciously come to realize that most things on TV are garbage, so I've lowered my standards.
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 26-Nov-2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Watched the first episode and enjoyed it mostly... I'll give it two more to bite
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I watched... the second and third episodes, I think. It's... interesting, but doesn't have me over the barrel in the same way 'Poltergeist' or 'The Amityville Horror' does.

United States
    You know how you (maybeeeee) think something but don't say it because you think you're a bit warped and wouldn't want people to think you're disturbing? That's what this show is... but its openly warped and disturbing. Kinnnnda like it...

You have to be at least thisssss damaged to enjoy it
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html