Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alert: EBS Test for 9 Nov. 2011

United States

Alert: EBS Test for 9 Nov. 2011

Alert: EBS Test for 9 Nov. 2011
    The U.S. government has scheduled an all-frequencies test of the Emergency Broadcast System for Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 1400 hours, or 2:00 p.m. This test will interrupt ALL electronic communications systems in the continental U.S. for approximately 3-4 minutes. The test message will affect radio, television, and internet systems, and could possibly affect cell phone, e-mail, and land line telephone systems.
    This test has not been highly publicized, with only a handful of notifying commercials being broadcast in recent weeks. This lack of publicity, combined with the fact that 1., this is set for the day after several important elections, 2., ...there simply isn't 4 minutes of material to be explained in an EBS test, 3., it will interrupt communications on an unprecedented scale, and 4., the fact that it has been rumored that the message will come directly from the president, has led to the formation of several theories regarding an alternate purpose to the test. These theories include but are not limited to 1., the declaration of martial law and subsequent indefinite nullification of the Constitution, 2., the initial field test of a system whereby the government can disrupt any unfavorable transmissions in accordance with the currently NOT passed "Fairness Doctrine" free-speech limitation legislation, and 3., the release of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) or similar energy burst designed to shut down communications and electronic systems, thereby creating a national state of emergency that could be used by the government to consolidate massive and unconstitutional powers. Even if this is simply a test, it is also possible that the broadcast of a test signal that covers all carrier waves may overload the affected systems and cause unexpected collateral damage

-- -------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

For the first time ever, on Nov 9th at 2pm, the U.S. Government will seize control of the airways. Why not do this Sunday night at 1am? Why do it at all? This test is not a good indicator as it will show that the Central Govenrment can cut communications from TV & Radio Stations and broadcast their (own) message. This is unprecendented.
    Maybe this is just an honest, harmless, simple test, with NO implications of our govt intentions in the future...I mean we all trust the govt and this administration dont we?
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    people honestly think martial law? like they are actually going to spend money on maintaining that in a recession across a landmass that big?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

United States
    I wouldnt worry about this, I mean the Govt has never abused any powers before...and I am sure this is not a test run for something the Govt will abuse in the future.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    NUTS. I trust the government less than private corporations and industries - but even I'm not that paranoid!

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's a good thing that they're testing this out. In the event of a country-wide emergency, the government will have the ability to notifiy virtually everyone at the same time. Sounds like a good safety measure to me.

Besides....networks have been doing EBS tests for decades. This is only on a larger scale. Nothing really new...
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Nov-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: .

United States

I think its a good idea

The govt has had this for decades and never used it or tested it. Wasnt even used for 9/11. It would be bad if they decided to do reverse 911 calls to everyones phone though. I also hear that it might be a scare for people who are deaf or hard of hearing as they will only see the emergency broadcast logo on the tv and not hear "this is a test of the blah blah blah.."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

United States
    Ah man, no terrible doomsday event took place. I was really hoping to something happening for a change. I've been disappointed with all the doom and gloom predictions over the last few years just for nothing to happen.

Man, at this rate I'll wake up on December 22nd 2012 with a terrible hangover to the sound of birds chirping and a sunny day and Apophis will go right by the earth without an incident.

It's just no fair, I was really looking forward to the Apocalyse in my lifetime.

j.p.

United States

Well

I saw the emergency broadcast. Gotta admit I was a bit confused. Lady Gaga was the background music and no actual beep beep noises. Weird much?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was just reading that the test looks like a failure. I didn't see or hear any broadcast and apparently most of the country didn't either.

Cody, I saw reports of your Lady Gaga announcement. They say that the audio some how crossed with MTV?
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Nov-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was just reading that the test looks like a failure. I didn't see or hear any broadcast and apparently most of the country didn't either.
    Bass: You mean our federal government messed something up and did it wrong?! I'm completely flabbergasted by such a preposterous proposition! It can't be so!

j.p.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I had my TV on and was using the internet from 12:30 EST to about 4 EST... never had one interruption.

Undisclosed
    I had an interruption with my tv around 1:45 pm US Central.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    here it is 7:20pm and no martial law, no nullification of the constitution, none of the crazy and quite ignorant shit that the usual paranoid morons run on about.

when even a simple test of the emergency broadcast system can cause such paranoia and fear in some people, it is really time to take a step back and think about how people can get so frigging wrapped up in this kind of govt. "conspiracy" business.

i don't believe in any sort of govt. "conspiracies" - period. folks who do are either seriously mentally ill or just plain stupid. just think about the simple, straightforward things govts. fuck up all the time. given that, we are expected to believe that the same bureaucratic morons are capable of keeping and engaging in secret conspiracies, some spanning decades? puh-leeze.

-- -------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Bass: You mean our federal government messed something up and did it wrong?! I'm completely flabbergasted by such a preposterous proposition! It can't be so!
    yes. the same govt. that is supposedly engaged in all manner of secret and underhanded conspiracies against our freedoms, some of them involving aliens and other such things, couldn't even get a simple nationwide test of its own emergency broadcast system working the way it was intended to.
    Last edited by Mike70; 09-Nov-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."