Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x05 "Chupacabra" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Even if it IS soap operatic so are the comics. Comic books are essentially soap operas they follow the same basic guidelines and have the same sort of restrictions. You follow the lives of the same characters enough and you are going to see the same stuff over and over. The X-Men were not a soap opera? PLEASE. They certainly were and remain so to this day, comics are all about the relationships, building a team, breaking it down, giving them challenges, and having them overcome them. The shock ending, the cliff hanger, the big reveal, the hero, the villain, the anti hero.

Guys... I have bad news for you this is the comic.

I loved the episode. It was paced fine for me, I don't need constant zombie battles. I don't need non stop action, my mind can appreciate more than that in fact it craves more than that. What set THIS zombie comic apart from the others was exactly that... amazing character development and focus.

Remember the montage in Dawn where they loot the bank, take giant loafs of bread, and wear fur coats? That is what this is. It is down time for character development.
    As an avid read of the comics I disagree. The television series most definitely is NOT the comic. True both share some sloppy dialogue, but the overall soapy-ness is well ramped up in the AMC production. The comic surprised more in the way Kirkman treats his main characters. Seldom have I encountered a more ruthless disregard of what the majority of scriptwriters consider as 'not done' as in the Kirkman comics. This has led to him stating that, given the chance, he would have done things differently, but still,... For one, the emphasis on the love triangle wasn't in the comics, and without going into any spoilers, I would be very surprised if this little television drama will dare go to the same bleak territory the comic characters find themselves in during the whole prison/governor storyline.

Still enjoy the series though. It's just not as bleak and gripping as the comics were for me. Can't really put my finger on it but this depiction of zombiegeddon at times feels too cosy.
    Last edited by krisvds; 17-Nov-2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: .

United States
    The Rapture is something taught by mostly Pentecostal, Holiness and some Baptist denominations. Since it's not included in the Bible, it's a fairly recent doctrine, surfacing in the mid to late 1800s.

As for the walkers in the barn..I dunno..will we hear Herschel's justification? Or will they just pass it up or fart it away in a flashback just like so many other questions?

Seriously. For every flashback where we're given an answer to a question that isn't really asked, we get more questions. Flashback to Shane at Rick's side at the hospital. Soldiers gunning down doctors and nurses. Maybe infected patients? Maybe just those too sick or immobile to take with? Who chained the door afterwards and so considerately wrote the warning on the door?

I'm going to rewatch Chupacabra here in a bit while I have some breakfast, but honestly the best part of the episode was the flashback. That scene had some meat on its bones.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    Flashback to Shane at Rick's side at the hospital. Soldiers gunning down doctors and nurses. Maybe infected patients? Maybe just those too sick or immobile to take with? Who chained the door afterwards and so considerately wrote the warning on the door?
    None of that is really important, though. The purpose of the scene was to show that Shane really thought Rick's heart had stopped and that he was the one that put the bed in front of the door to keep the walkers from eating him. All the other stuff was just to show the chaos that the world had devolved into.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    None of that is really important, though. The purpose of the scene was to show that Shane really thought Rick's heart had stopped and that he was the one that put the bed in front of the door to keep the walkers from eating him. All the other stuff was just to show the chaos that the world had devolved into.
    I'll grant you that. It's just frustrating, because there are just some things that seem to be a little sloppy continuity wise that pop up every once in a while.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Super Moderator

United States

Seriously. For every flashback where we're given an answer to a question that isn't really asked, we get more questions. Flashback to Shane at Rick's side at the hospital. Soldiers gunning down doctors and nurses. Maybe infected patients? Maybe just those too sick or immobile to take with? Who chained the door afterwards and so considerately wrote the warning on the door?
    I don't see any of this stuff as a problem, to be honest. Just personal taste, I guess, but in any expansive story there's going to be things left unexplained, for which the viewer has to fill in the blanks and none of these questions seem all that problematic, or as Bassman mentioned, even that important. I'm sure if I thought about it, there'd be a few that get to me too, though.

-- -------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

As for the walkers in the barn..I dunno..will we hear Herschel's justification? Or will they just pass it up or fart it away in a flashback just like so many other questions?
    We'll hear something, but as you allude...who knows how well written or thought out it will be...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    By the way, in regards to Rise of the Governor..there really isn't anything nice I can find to say about it honestly. Lots of misspellings and grammatical errors, it honestly reeks of self publishing rather than an actual honest to goodness book.

Super Moderator

United States
    By the way, in regards to Rise of the Governor..there really isn't anything nice I can find to say about it honestly. Lots of misspellings and grammatical errors, it honestly reeks of self publishing rather than an actual honest to goodness book.
    Thank you! I've been tempted to check it out, so I may well hold off now. Much appreciated.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    The flashback in this was epic. I know they discussed it a length in Dawn but has that ever been done on screen before? Bombing your own . That really is down to the line. Desperate, desperate move. A bit that really stuck with me was Shane and Ricks conversation at the beginning as they are walking through the woods. Shane saying they are like old folk talking about their dead friends and that they shouldn't really be doing it. That whole scene was excellent. Bernthal's had some shakey moments in recent episodes but he was excellent in this.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    The flashback in this was epic. I know they discussed it a length in Dawn but has that ever been done on screen before? Bombing your own .
    It was shown to good effect with the Infected in 28 DL.

Reminds me of the conversation we had last season when evidence of this activity popped up outside of the hospital...

Capt. Harris: Snakebite leader, Ripper Bravo Six, we're gonna need you soonest be advised I've got zeds in the wire down here, over!

Phantom Pilot: Roger your last Bravo Six, Snakebite lead we can't run it any closer. We're hot to trot and packing snake and nape but we're bingo fuel. It's your call, Six actual, Over.

Capt. Harris: Snakebite leader, Bravo Six, for the record, it's my call. Dump everything you got left ON MY POS. I say again, I want all you're holding INSIDE the perimeter. It's a lovely fucking apocalypse. Bravo Six Actual and Out.

Phantom Pilot: Roger your last Bravo Six. We copy it's your call. Get em in their holes down there. Hang tough, Bravo Six we are coming cocked for treetops. Whiskey to Echo... Snakebite Two, this is lead. Last pass on zero niner. Watch my smoke to target, expend all remaining. Follow my trace...

England
    It's a lovely fucking apocalypse.
    Hallelujah brother Aces.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know much about Nepalm, but wouldn't that have burned some buildings? At least leave some scorched areas? We didn't see any of that in the first season. But of course we only saw a few streets....

Da gubment dun burnt down atlanta agin.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Nov-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States

No worries. I have it on good authority that the South did rise again. Of course, they were all zombies, but you can't win 'em all.

England
    I don't know much about Nepalm, but wouldn't that have burned some buildings? At least leave some scorched areas? We didn't see any of that in the first season. But of course we only saw a few streets....
    Didn't Rick enter a different part of city? I've read that the skyline shown being napalmed was a well known part of Atlanta and Rick came in another side.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States

While napalm is mainly an anti-personnel weapon, yeah, you'd definitely get some burn off on structures, not to mention blown out windows and other physical effects from the overpressure blastwave from the ignition.

Not a bad weapon to have used against the walkers, though it must have been too little too late as there were huge crowds congregated in sporadic side streets waiting on stimuli to react to..

If the military had used White Phosphorous, that would have been a beast of a whole different color. (would have been extremely ineffective against the dead)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Didn't Rick enter a different part of city? I've read that the skyline shown being napalmed was a well known part of Atlanta and Rick came in another side.
    The geography of Atlanta is all kinds of f*cked up in this show. I could spend hours telling you how they've screwed it all up for obvious time/money/production purposes, but just take my word for it.....angles, buildings, and streets in the TV show(particularly entering and exiting the city on highways) mean absolutely nothing to the real layout of the city.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Nov-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: .