Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x05 "Chupacabra" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Post TWD 2x05 "Chupacabra" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Ready. Set. Go!

First though, a reminder for everyone about spoilers - please keep all episode spoilers in their respective episode discussion threads - and remember, even a seemingly innocuous sentence like "can you believe what [character] did?!" outside of an episode discussion thread can constitute a spoiler (knowledge of previous episodes, context, and active imagination can easily ruin a surprise moment after a sentence like that).

Indeed, any information that you only gain from watching the episode, is a spoiler outside of these individual threads.

Finally - regarding next episode teasers - if discussing that stuff, please use SPOILER TAGS. Those who download the show, and us Brits who watch it on FXUK five days after it airs in the USA, don't get to see the teaser footage during the credits that you guys do on AMC.

Many thanks for your co-operation, folks. Now enjoy the episode 2x05 thread!

Super Moderator

United States
    Kind of another slow, foundation-laying episode, but some cool (if a tad bit overdone) bits and pieces.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Dead

United States
    I agree. Kind of slow, but we know next weeks episode has to be great due to the end of this one.

Twitching

United States
    In a way I agree Aces,
    In another way, however, I think this episode had enough "meat on the bone" to balance out the interpersonal dialog and interactions. As a hallucination, Merle's appearance was very interesting and shone a light into the shadowy corners of Daryl's thoughts and emotions. The end of the episode though....as someone who hasn't read the comics I still saw that coming since Rick offered to give Herschel and his people more space by moving down next to the barn and Herschel too-casually nixxed that idea. The actor playing Herschel did a wonderful job of creating a momentary and significant break in his character's usually very even and thoughtful demeanor and manner of speaking.

The Andrea shooting Daryl thing was excessive though. I had too hard a time believe that there wasn't a split-second that Daryl's face wasn't obscured by the sun's glare as he continued his forward motion. Not saying it couldn't happen, but after Carl's recent shooting it simply felt like an event contrived to justify Andrea backing off about carrying a gun. Whatever your take on that scene, I didn't find it enjoyable. Got a lot more out of Daryl being suddenly thrust into a life-or-death-or-infection situation as he came out of the hallucination just as the Walker was working out how to sink its teeth into him.

All in all, I liked it better than the previous episode...but I agree that the plot pacing needs to pick up. I'm hoping Glenn's discovery and the resulting explanation (which I'm dying to see and hear) will do just that. Finally, I am BEYOND OVER the Sophia thing. Shane's right. When he made that comment about back when they were cops looking for a missing child they had 72 hours and then they were looking for a body..."and that's before all this" he pointedly remarked.

A mixed episode, which I will reserve complete judgment on until I see how Glenn handles his discovery.

United States
    Another good episode in my book.

The opening flashback scene was nice and it did a good job of displaying how things quickly things fell apart and why the city looked so beat down and broken.

Of course the scenes with Daryl played out really well. From his accident to his discovery of the zombie gnawing at his feet, it was all pretty good stuff. I just hope he doesn't really buy into what mind Meryl was saying and his character takes a turn for the worse.

The Sophia nonsense sadly continues but at least Glenn discovered the secret of the barn! Can't wait for next week!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    They're never going to find that kid are they.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Undisclosed
    How long before Daryl starts getting some from Carol?

Undisclosed
    The Daryl scene looked like it was from Deliverance.

United States
    To the tune of Jonti Picking's "Crabs" www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYUd0rtXpM

*pitchpipe*

"I've got a barn full of zombies!
    I'm gonna keep them locked up tight, oh yes
    I'm too chicken to shoot them in the head!
    Don't tell anyone, it'll spoil the fun
    So no sexin's in the hay."
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 14-Nov-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Preview for 206 "Secrets":

So I guess in the show Shane teaches Andrea how to become a marksman?

United States
    I'm also really hating Andrea, she's so worthless. Beyond the Daryl thing in of it self, look what else was going on there, 3 of the group were RIGHT THERE in front, she was shooting AT THEIR BACKS. I can't believe Shane at least didn't blast her teeth in, shove a gun in her face and give a speech like Peter.

"Never point a gun at anyone, scary isn't it?"

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    great episode......but glenn finding out about the barn coulda been avoided had she just let him tear off a piece of ass somewhere else.

England
    Really enjoyed this episode. Directed by Guy Ferland who also directed TS-19. Whoevers got the special edition should listen to the commentary on TS-19 if they haven't. Ferland sounds like he loves working on this show and ,as it does with Ernest Dickerson, i think it really shows.
    Overall im really enjoying this season and the slow pace. Yeah sure it has some problems but im choosing to not to overanalyze it too much. You have to let things go with tv shows as a lot of the problems are down to time and budget and we all know what happened behind the scenes with this one.
    This show does tend to explain a lot of the questions i have in the next episode but im still confused by Ricks gun and why didn't Daryl go back to the anandoned house instead of randomly looking in the woods again? Are these the plotholes and bad writing that i see referred to on other sites. Maybe its been explained and i missed it?
    I know the Sophia storyline is driving people mad including myself but look at it this way. They have made it clear they are taking their time and with Carl still recuperating what would the other characters be doing? You can only have so many trips into town, help out at the farm for so long and argue so much. At least they are going into the woods where things can happen to characters like Daryl in this episode. Michael Rooker was outstanding as usual. There was a certain softness to his menace but the guy was Merle as we briefly knew him. I don't think we'll see him back as a living character so it would be fine with me if he makes an occasional appearance as guidance/conscience for Daryl.

Btw does anyone else think Sophia might be in the barn? We have 2 episodes left before the mid season break and that would be quite a good place to leave people shocked. I know one thing for certain. Maggie has got a hell of a lot of explaining to do next episode so maybe we can find out something about Glen because we still don't know much about him.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 14-Nov-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: .
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post

Btw does anyone else think Sophia might be in the barn? We have 2 episodes left before the mid season break and that would be quite a good place to leave people shocked.
    That'd be a shocker, alright! I don't think they'll go there, but that'd be damned cold if they did, especially since the writers could stand to be a bit more ruthless.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    That'd be a shocker, alright! I don't think they'll go there, but that'd be damned cold if they did especially since the writers need to be a bit more ruthless.
    They shot a kid in the head in the 1st scene in the pilot, so why not ? I think finding her alive would be such an anti climax seeing as they have spent so much time on it. The storyline has to lead to something meaningful because it seems to be an irritating plot device to a lot of people.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA