Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead and Romero zombie differences

Undisclosed

Walking Dead and Romero zombie differences

I'm wondering if on the TV series "The Walking Dead" if anyone who dies reanimates, like on the comic and like Romero, or will it require a bite to reanimate, like Dawn 2005? I'm hoping they keep it in line with Romero and the comic series.

Besides that, what other differences have you noticed between walking dead and Romero zombies?

One thing I've thought about is how all the dead we're just kinda napping in Day of the Dead. Haven't seen that in Walking Dead, but I guess their still just a few weeks into the shit on that show.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I always thought that in the Dawn remake requiring a bite in order to reanimate was a pretty bad error. It makes no sense. If a bite is required in order for a body to reanimate then how did the first one reanimate because nobody bit the first person to reanimate?

England
    Im hoping they go with the everyones infected and a bite just kills you approach.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I'm wondering if on the TV series "The Walking Dead" if anyone who dies reanimates, like on the comic and like Romero, or will it require a bite to reanimate, like Dawn 2005? I'm hoping they keep it in line with Romero and the comic series.

Besides that, what other differences have you noticed between walking dead and Romero zombies?

One thing I've thought about is how all the dead we're just kinda napping in Day of the Dead. Haven't seen that in Walking Dead, but I guess their still just a few weeks into the shit on that show.
    I think it's already been established that anyone who dies comes back. Also, on the 1st episode of season one, the zombies were in a sleeping/sitting mode on the bus when Rick rode through on his horse. Then, they noticed him, woke up and walked out of the bus. Also, remember the dead in the church just sitting there too. Nothing to arouse their hunger so they were in waiting mode sitting in the pews.

Super Moderator

United States
    And the zed in the tank, as well.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    I think it's already been established that anyone who dies comes back. Also, on the 1st episode of season one, the zombies were in a sleeping/sitting mode on the bus when Rick rode through on his horse. Then, they noticed him, woke up and walked out of the bus. Also, remember the dead in the church just sitting there too. Nothing to arouse their hunger so they were in waiting mode sitting in the pews.
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    And the zed in the tank, as well.
    At this point we all pretty much know that the ghouls aren't just the "dumb f*cks" Rhodes made them out to be. From bub doing what he did to big daddy to zombie Stephen "Remembering" where the hideout was to TWD's morgan's wife trying to get back into that house they were hiding out in.

It suggests that Dr. Logan's theories that they are us simply operating less perfectly were closer to reality that TWD's Dr. Jenner who implied that since only the basest part of their brains were dimly lit the people were no longer there which if you observe them long enough is clearly not not the case.

After frannie asks,"what are they doing? Why did they come here?" , Stephen retorts that it was instinct, some type of memory of what they used to do. Peter had an interesting line as well. In responding to Stephen's comment of "they're after us. They know we're still in here. He says,"they're after the place... They don't know why they just want to be in here." They made these assertions after obsering their behavior for a while.

So i don't know if it was sleep mode. Perhaps the zombies at the church used to attend regularly. Maybe the zombies on the bus where just trying to get to work.

I can think of some differences between the GAr and twd zombies but mostly i can't help but think that if some of the inconsistencies and head scratchers in twd had been in a gar film he'd be crucified.

One example is how freely the survivors move around. I mean they are out in the open and traveling alone all the time yet never seem to concerned about it. That flies in the face of the premise that the world is overrun by the undead. You would think they would have to lurk about in the shaddows in constant fear of being torn apart right?

Take two farmhouses for example, the one the night of the living dead and the one from twd. It seems to me that the one from notld is much more believable to how it would be given the circumstance, with survivors peeking out the windows and hiding in cellars rather than the walking dead with people straying without a care in the world. -1

Also, in the episode "guts" we find that the ghouls can sense us through smell. Once the zombie innards were washed off of rick and glenn from the rain the zeds instantly smelled them. Now fast forward to the first episode of this season where they are all hiding under cars a mere few feet from them and nothing. Very bad imo. -1

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Also, in the episode "guts" we find that the ghouls can sense us through smell. Once the zombie innards were washed off of rick and glenn from the rain the zeds instantly smelled them. Now fast forward to the first episode of this season where they are all hiding under cars a mere few feet from them and nothing.
    That whole area must have smelled like an open grave, though. Dead bodies everywhere, some of them sitting in the sun for a few weeks. They dropped the ball on how terrible it would have been (no crazy amount of flies and no Carl wretching when he opened up the vehicle), but not on the zeds not being able to smell them.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    That whole area must have smelled like an open grave, though. Dead bodies everywhere, some of them sitting in the sun for a few weeks. They dropped the ball on how terrible it would have been (no crazy amount of flies and no Carl wretching when he opened up the vehicle), but not on the zeds not being able to smell them.
    Perhaps.

One could also say that because there was no wretching then the overwhelming stench of rot and decay that was necessary to mask the survivors living smell, that obviously was present in "guts", was not on the highway.

Furthermore, they had to literally coat themselves for that to be effective. Remember, not every car had a dead body in it and it's highly doubtful that the dead bodies peppered throughout the site gave off a stench potent enough to "hide" them.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Also, in the episode "guts" we find that the ghouls can sense us through smell. Once the zombie innards were washed off of rick and glenn from the rain the zeds instantly smelled them.
    That 'rule' annoyed me... Seems rather unlikely they gain super smell!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Also, in the episode "guts" we find that the ghouls can sense us through smell. Once the zombie innards were washed off of rick and glenn from the rain the zeds instantly smelled them. Now fast forward to the first episode of this season where they are all hiding under cars a mere few feet from them and nothing. Very bad imo. -1
    I've taken the smell theory as just that - a theory. Much like the Venus Probe in Night. One could easily argue that Rick and Glenn were just pulling a "Shaun" and were being convincing enough to walk through the zombie hoard without them noticing they were living. If you look at the scene again, it's not until Glenn starts talking and freaking out a bit that the walkers begin to take notice. So the smell thing was their theory, but they also may have just walked by because of their zombie impressions. That would also explain the lack of attention underneath the cars.

As for the thread topic, in my mind, TWD zombies are the exact same as Romero's. The holy trilogy was Kirkman's inspiration for the comics, as well as Darabont's inspiration for the television series. They act the same, anyone who dies comes back, etc etc. Much like all of Romero's movies are different stories but the same zombie uprising phenomenon, so is TWD.

I realise this thread is for Romero differences, but anyone else ever pick up that the opening shot of the pilot episode is a reference to Night? It wasn't until Darabont's commentary that I picked up on that. Kinda random...
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Nov-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: .

Ireland

Hmmmm...I've always maintained that is attribute was always one of the more stupid additions to zombie lore (if such a thing exists). It's easy to spot that such a superhuman ability was going to cause a lot of problems with situations down the line.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Walking Dead ghouls seem a lot more light of feet then Romero ones. They don't run per say, but they seem pretty quick when there's something tasty near by. These guys also don't seem the type that would take a pie to the face with a dim look on their face. =D

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236 View Post
    Walking Dead ghouls seem a lot more light of feet then Romero ones. They don't run per say, but they seem pretty quick when there's something tasty near by.
    Yeah, a couple of the fresher ones really seem to get up to a stumbling trot when agitated by nearby prey, which is fine within reason.

These guys also don't seem the type that would take a pie to the face with a dim look on their face. =D
    Yup, the humor would be lost on them, indeed

United States
    Addressing the original post, it was from the first episode of season one that Morgan mentions to Rick that it's the bites cause the fever that kills you. Dr. Jenner at the CDC mentions that the virus invades the brain like meningitis. So I don't think TWD is like GAR's universe where ANY death (natural or otherwise) will result in the reanimation of the dead.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 14-Nov-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Even the zombies in the GAR trilogy weren't terribly consistent. You had the initial zombie who attacked like a maniac in the beggining of NOTLD, used a rock to smash the car window and chased down the road with pretty good speed. You had the shambling, at times comically inept zombies in Dawn, and you had several varieties in Day, some very fearsome and quick (think the ones they were removing from the pen via rod and reel)

However, I don't think it's been established in TWD that everybody comes back. Have I missed it? If so when and how was that revealed?