Thread: Space Post - Super Earths 'in the billions'

Administrator

England

Space Post - Super Earths 'in the billions'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17532470

There could be many billions of planets not much bigger than Earth circling faint stars in our galaxy, says an international team of astronomers.
    Which beggars the question - which I've asked over and over - where the hell is everyone then?

I unfortunately fear, although habital worlds are common place, and indeed even life is a frequent occurrence, that intelligent (enough) life is not as wide spread as we think, and worse still most/all invariably run themselves back into the ground by using up their resources - ie: Think Easter Island...

I wouldn't be surprised if towards then end of my lifetime, and/or my childrens we start to see the technological decline of the species. ie: Where we simply cannot be frivolous with resources. Space travel for example will become an unnecessary/impossible luxury.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

England
    Maybe they don't want to visit us? Space is vast (I mean bigger than the M25 vast) and we can only see a fraction of what is out there . Chances are if there is life out there (which I believe there is and statistically is possible) that they may be so far away that we will never meet them.
    And if we do they might be gross and have three arms and a nose for an eye or something.
    Last edited by Knighty; 28-Mar-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Alien description

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I unfortunately fear, although habital worlds are common place, and indeed even life is a frequent occurrence, that intelligent (enough) life is not as wide spread as we think, and worse still most/all invariably run themselves back into the ground by using up their resources - ie: Think Easter Island...
    i think this is likely the case. life is probably relatively common in the galaxy. the elements necessary for it are found in huge abundance nearly everywhere we look in our own galaxy, esp. around younger stars, which have formed from nebular clouds that have become richer and richer in heavier elements as time goes along.

i also agree with you that intelligent life is most likely incredibly rare. it could be the case that for every planet with life on it, only 1 out of 100,000 of them has "intelligent" life.

i don't think space exploration can ever be allowed to become an unaffordable luxury. it is the future and the ONLY hope our species has for long term survival. the earth will not be inhabitable forever because of one inescapable factor: the sun will continue to get hotter and brighter as it ages. can you imagine what even a 1 or 2 % increase in solar radiation would do to life on earth. we wouldn't be going outside in the daylight anymore. that will happen. it may be several million years in the future but the sun will one day render this planet uninhabitable for humans long before the sun is off the main sequence.

i also think it unwise to assume that an intelligent species that survived a different evolutionary process would be anything like us or even be interested in the same things we are.

i think for the present time we should continue to look for planets but the search for life should focus on the solar system because there are several places where it is quite possible there is life. Enceladus, Europa, Titan, and Mars in that order. hell, even high up in the clouds on venus there are interesting and strange things going on.

oh by the way - Cassini flew within 46 miles of the surface of enceladus the other day and went right through the plumes of water coming from the surface. not only is there organic chemicals in the water - it's salt water. that little moon just keeps getting more and more interesting.

if there is life on another world in our own system, then that closes the deal for me.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    theres a reason we cant go even in the area of pluto besides the cold, im willing to bet theres people on the other side thinking the same thing and cannot get here. for good reason i guess lol

United States
    We send Anthropologists to study remote tribes to learn their customs and behavior. If you presuppose the existence of other off world groups, then there is a good chance they are already here observing our society. The only question is are they beings from another world? Humans from another time? Or a combination of the two?
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 29-Mar-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: .

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    theres a reason we cant go even in the area of pluto besides the cold, im willing to bet theres people on the other side thinking the same thing and cannot get here. for good reason i guess lol
    Exactly - Space travel is so costly/difficult, it's not done!

And/or, with my Easter Island scenary, technologically advanced societies simply burn up their resources, and then fall back to a lower level, unable to managed or justify space travel/communication...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan