Thread: The Hunger Games (film)

Administrator

England

The Hunger Games (film)

Trailer here - http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/l...hehungergames/

Looks OK. I certainly enjoyed the book...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The book was really fantastic. I wouldn't know where to begin in discussing it. I've just started Catching Fire, the sequel. My kids have read the whole trilogy.

It's this kind of book that makes me really irate at GAR for his cavalier storytelling.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    I'm looking forward to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUT7q2iTbQ
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    The screenplay was a good read. I haven't read the books but I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

Administrator

England
    The book was a good solid (if somewhat teen aimed) read. I suspect the film will follow the book very closely!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Just a couple of weeks away here in the UK... Is it out any sooner in the US?

I've just started the second book ("Catching Fire")...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    23rd of March here in the U.S. So, still time to read the book if I really want to. Just too many books to read as it is.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Seven seconds of cuts in the UK to get a 12A certificate...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17285325

"A number of cuts were made in one scene to reduce an emphasis on blood and injury," the BBFC report said.

"These cuts, which were implemented by digitally removing sight of blood splashes and sight of blood on wounds and weapons, were made in accordance with BBFC Guidelines and policy.

"An uncut 15 classification was available. These cuts were made in addition to reductions already made following an earlier 'advice' viewing of an incomplete version."

In the US, The Hunger Games was rated PG-13 for "intense violent thematic material and disturbing images - all involving teens".
    So no doubt these cuts will be put back in for the DVD/bluray!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Just too many books to read as it is.
    indeed.

I mention it again later on in this post but this all just a bit too much like one of my ultimate 5 movies: "battle royale."

the plot of this book is so reminicient of about 50 other stories - everything from theseus to "the most dangerous game" that i'm really not at all interested. how many books and movies have revolved around this same central concept of a small group of people competing to the death in some sick game? a lot. that's the only real answer. a lot. one of the crappier ones "the condemned" was just on the other day. besides, there is NO WAY this or anything else like it could ever top "battle royale." the only "fight to the death and win" movie that you need bother with.

no. i will be neither reading this nor wasting time watching it. the plot synopsis told me everything i need to know.
    Last edited by Mike70; 13-Mar-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    indeed.

I mention it again later on in this post but this all just a bit too much like one of my ultimate 5 movies: "battle royale."

the plot of this book is so reminicient of about 50 other stories - everything from theseus to "the most dangerous game" that i'm really not at all interested. how many books and movies have revolved around this same central concept of a small group of people competing to the death in some sick game? a lot. that's the only real answer. a lot. one of the crappier ones "the condemned" was just on the other day. besides, there is NO WAY this or anything else like it could ever top "battle royale." the only "fight to the death and win" movie that you need bother with.

no. i will be neither reading this nor wasting time watching it. the plot synopsis told me everything i need to know.
    The 'battle' is only part of the story in a larger story arc. ie: In the subsequent books the story goes off in a much grander direction...

-- -------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Projected with a $100m opening - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Hunge...ore-29933.html

-- -------- Post added 17-Mar-2012 at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was 13-Mar-2012 at 07:33 PM ----------

+ve reviews... 4/5 at the Guardian (UK) and Cinemablend...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...r-games-review
    http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/T...ames-5786.html
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Saw it today. It was decent enough. Not some masterpiece like the kids are calling it, but it was better than I was expecting. I might check out the book to see what all got cut out or changed.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Saw it today. It was decent enough. Not some masterpiece like the kids are calling it, but it was better than I was expecting. I might check out the book to see what all got cut out or changed.
    The first book is actually very good.

The second is also good, but the final few chapters seems to lose something.

On the third at the moment...
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Projected with a $100m opening
    It blew right past that on it's way to 152 million. I may get out and see it today. Jennifer Lawrence makes it a viewing pleasure.