Thread: We need to get to Europa!!!!

Administrator

England

We need to get to Europa!!!!

More evidence of an ocean!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15754786

We could do this mission to Europa now! But I suspect we'll still be faffing around in 20 years!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Dude, have you not watched "2010"?

All these worlds are yours except europa.

It's not ours to explore.

On a more serious note, ANY form of life on Europa would make it "one planet out of three that we've sent probes to" that have some form of life in our own solar system alone. Drool-worthy stats for those who hope that we aren't alone in the universe.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 17-Nov-2011 at 01:47 AM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    the Europa Jupiter System Mission (EJSM) is scheduled to launch in 2020, arriving at jupiter in 2026. it will contain 2 orbiters. one that will investigate europa close up and personal like. the second orbiter will be investigating Ganymede and Callisto.

this mission got priority over the second mission to titan. i don't know about that. there are so many interesting things going on on the surface of titan and considering that there is clear evidence of water and organic chemistry happening on enceladus, i'd rather go back to saturn.

the second titan mission includes not one but two landers, one of which is going to splash down right in the middle of the Kraken Mare (the largest body of surface liquids off of Earth- it's ethane though, not water). that will be damned interesting.

back to europa: the idea of an orbiter to investigate the ice thickness is solid and needed bit of data. though i'd really like to send an orbiter and a lander to europa. the orbiter could also be carrying a kinetic energy penetrator to bust through the surface ice allowing access the water underneath, which could then be sampled by a lander.
    Last edited by Mike70; 17-Nov-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    the Europa Jupiter System Mission (EJSM) is scheduled to launch in 2020, arriving at jupiter in 2026.
    That's great, but that's 14yrs... That means 20yrs before we even have a hope of a probe into the ocean... And let's be realistic, it will be far far longer than that. Assuming it's another 14yrs, that would make me older than dad live to. So it's entirely probable (at current rates) I might not live to see a probe in the oceans of Europa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15767515
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan