Thread: Top cursed movies

Administrator

England

Top cursed movies

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...cursed-movies/

This one got me:-

6. The Omen (1976) - Two months before filming was due to begin on the film Gregory Peck´s son killed himself. Later, Peck’s plane was hit by lightening. Eight months after working on the film, special effects consultant designer John Richardson suffered injuries in a head-on car collision in Holland that killed his assistant, Liz Moore. A road sign by the crash read: Ommen, 66.6 km.
    Why would there be a sign for "66.6km"? Would 66km or 67km not be close enough to print? Or move the sign a kilometer or two and write it as 65km.

I do not believe any sign exists saying "66.6km"!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    7. The Exorcist (1977) - Linda Blair, the child actor who is possessed by a demon in this horror film, was arrested on drugs charges 1977, at aged 18.
    So a teenager with drugs is considered a curse now?

Most of these kinds of things are silly, imho. People die and accidents happen on a daily basis. Some of which could have and should have been avoided but nevertheless....they do happen. It doesn't mean it's a curse.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Nov-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: .

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    What's the average cast and crew count for a hollywood movie? 400...? 600? Somewhere around that...
    Truth is you can attribute a number of fatalities on a production to the content of the movie in that sense but it means nothing - out of 600 people, over a period of a year, how many are likely to die? Probably 3, 4 people....there's a 1 in 3 chance of getting cancer - so technically 200 people on a production will get cancer in their lives...a few of those will die....movie curses are a silly myth we like to attribute to the unknown and it's happened to movies like The Life of Brian....usually movies where people have a religious conflict of interests will they find mystical reasons for the movie to be "cursed". That's why Brian's dead...and if we're using periods of up to a year or even beyond to count a movie as cursed, the likelihood of a production member dying increases greatly....7 months after "The Omen" a guy dies? Well...that's hardly shocking!

If 100 of the cast and crew died within a week, all from random events, I'd say "yeah that's weird"....

Marmaduke wasn't cursed apparently, but I bet a few of the crew are dead from random things since it was made - most of them probably suicides, only natural considering the content.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    Diff'rent Strokes is as cursed as it gets. The main kid stars had all sorts of bad shit going on. Only one of them left alive now.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 19-Nov-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Just how many films do the cast and crew work on over the periods these 'curse' deaths occur? A couple are still interesting, tho.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Of course there are no such things as "curses". It's just fun to find all the co-incidences in situations like this, that's all.

Curses are in the same league as "psychic connections". You know all those times your mother or someones saysL "Oh, I was thinking about so-and-so and just at that moment the phone rang, AND IT WAS THEM!" It's not that she's really psychic, it's just that she'll only ever remember the times something conincidental happens, you forget all the times you're thinking about something and the phone rings and it's nothing to do with your thoughts, because it's a non-event. Same with movies. There are plenty of actors and crew members who have died (as everyone does, eventually) or had some mishap during or immediately following the production of a film. Given the size of Hollywood film crews, I'd guess many, if not most, movies fit this description. It's only when these events happen to main cast (i.e. not the lighting guy) that people take note, and even then, usually only when the film has some supernatural element. I bet if we took a non-supernatural, "non-cursed" Hollywood film, say The Terminator, we could look back and find lots of bad stuff that happened to people who worked on it in the intervening time, it's just that nobody is thinking about spooks and magic when watching a sci-fi movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Of course there are no such things as "curses". It's just fun to find all the co-incidences in situations like this, that's all.

Curses are in the same league as "psychic connections". You know all those times your mother or someones saysL "Oh, I was thinking about so-and-so and just at that moment the phone rang, AND IT WAS THEM!" It's not that she's really psychic, it's just that she'll only ever remember the times something conincidental happens, you forget all the times you're thinking about something and the phone rings and it's nothing to do with your thoughts, because it's a non-event. Same with movies. There are plenty of actors and crew members who have died (as everyone does, eventually) or had some mishap during or immediately following the production of a film. Given the size of Hollywood film crews, I'd guess many, if not most, movies fit this description. It's only when these events happen to main cast (i.e. not the lighting guy) that people take note, and even then, usually only when the film has some supernatural element. I bet if we took a non-supernatural, "non-cursed" Hollywood film, say The Terminator, we could look back and find lots of bad stuff that happened to people who worked on it in the intervening time, it's just that nobody is thinking about spooks and magic when watching a sci-fi movie.
    beat me to it. A string of happenstance does not equal MAGIC IS A DOOINS. It's all spin. "Oh fuck, this bad shit happened on the movie im producing, how to spin this so we dont look incompetent? DURR THIS HORROR FILM SOOO EVIL ITS CURSED!!!, now to watch the viral advertising do its word of mouth work"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    the one that is really, really ridiculous is "superman." what in the fook does christopher reeves accident and subsequent death have to do with a movie made 26 years earlier??? margot kidder in 1996, almost 20 years later. please. and then there's richard pryor. sad thing is, people get MS and they die from it. being famous or rich does not make you immune to accident, injury, or disease.

this is especially true of many celebrity types that like to party like tomorrow will never come (and for many of them it doesn't) and live life in the so-called fast lane.

and there is this, one of the stupidest things i have ever read in my life:
    3. Rosemary’s Baby (1968) - Director Roman Polanski’s horror film told the story of a young woman whose husband trades their unborn child to sect of Satanists. A year after its release, Polanski’s own wife, the actress Sharon Tate, was murdered by the Manson Family. Tate was eight months pregnant with the couple’s first child when she died.
    then there is this bit of stupidity that utterly destroys the "curse" aspect:
    Julian Beck, the 60-year-old actor who played Henry Kane in “Poltergeist II: The Other Side,” died on Sept. 14, 1985 of stomach cancer diagnosed before he had accepted the role.
    huh? how is something that was already diagnosed before the role was taken part of a curse. what the f*ck is it - retroactive?
    Last edited by Mike70; 21-Nov-2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."