Thread: Titan more likely to have life than Mars and/or Europa?

Administrator

England

Titan more likely to have life than Mars and/or Europa?

A habitability index puts it top!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15863549
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    It's likely to have more intelligent life than is found on Earth.

A website devoted to the dead eating the living and conquering the Earth?
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    ya got me again. i was going to post this as well.

i'd agree 100% about Titan. there are a number of advantages Titan has over some other places in the solar system. its atmosphere is 1.5 times as thick as Earth's, so bulky pressure suits would not be required, simply something to stay warm and provide oxygen. water and oxygen could easily be harvested from the surface. plus, it has seas, lakes and rivers of liquid ethane, who wouldn't want to stand on the shore of something like that. Titan is also covered in tholins (europa appears high in tholins as well) making it a prime place to look for life or the pre-cursors to it.

just for fun: a human could literally fly on Titan with just a pair a Daedalus wings. the air pressure is so high and the gravity is about 20% of earth's. imagine that...

outside of the solar system, Gliese 581d and g are both fascinating worlds. the kepler space telescope just keeps finding interesting world after interesting world. the next generation of planet hunting telescopes will probably be making huge discoveries on a weekly basis. we are in a golden age of discovering new planetary systems. we already know that Sol and its band of 8 merry companions (plus all the other stuff in the system) are not alone nor unique. most stars have planets form around them. some of them quite strange, some quite deadly, but we are starting to find those planets that have the right mass, are in the right place, are in stable low eccentricity orbits, and would seem to be prime targets for searching for signs of biologic activity - water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, and ozone (or oxygen - O3 is easier to spot than O2). find those four things together in abundance and there is really only conclusion.
    Last edited by Mike70; 04-Dec-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    I'd hope that whatever lifeform may be there would think "Oh f*ck, humans are on the way, lets obliterate them before they wreck our homeland, try to enslave us & all our wildlife, think they own everything and then start fighting each other over fairytales for the next millennia!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I'd hope that whatever lifeform may be there would think "Oh f*ck, humans are on the way,"
    now, that would be proof of intelligence for sure.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."