Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, what do you think of the 2nd series so far? **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    My only issue is that outside of the herd episode, it's been too safe for everyone. I'd prefer more atmosphere of being trapped which I felt in the original trilogy and Shaun...

But if that's my only concern, I'll be a happy consumer!

United States
    I really have enjoyed it, I can not think of anything I would overly want to change. Pacing does not bother me, though I understand the idea that giving more leads in the hunt for Sophia to make it seem like they were closing in would have made it much more tantalizing. You need those sort of high and low points to keep the drama interesting... so yeah that could have been improved on.

The show really has not let me down too much even going back to season one, the whole CDC thing aside which I personally didn't care for.

I also have to agree, best zombie offerings since the the original trilogy.

Super Moderator

UK
    Every zombie kill from 2x01 through 2x07:

England
    We need a drooling smiley...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Every zombie kill from 2x01 through 2x07:

thanks for posting that, man. and to think that there's some out there who say this show doesn't deliver on zombie action....

Dead

United States
    They sure did expend alot of damn ammo to put down those barn walkers!! Alot of body shots that amount to wasted rounds.

Twitching

United States
    About the ammo situation,
    There have been a few comments by a couple of characters since the Big Bag O' Guns was retrieved that seemed to indicate they were talking about a HUGE amount of ammunition. If you think about it, as badly hit as Rick's home town was (So far gone the military were EXECUTING non-ambulatory patients? That's pretty conclusively indicative of the proverbial excrement having hit the fan some time ago.) it's quite possible that next to none of the other deputies from Rick & Shane's county survived. Even if they did, between the ones who didn't think of it, the ones who thought of it but decided not to risk it, and the ones who tried to make it to the station but either had to turn back or were killed en route, out of a comparatively small Sheriff's Department Rick could feasibly have been the ONLY ONE to make it to the station with the idea of stripping it bare of everything useful looter-style mindset.

If that proved to be the case, even an Andy Griffith/Mayberry-small Sheriff's Department would likely have several thousand rounds of each commonly used caliber. Why? Civil Service contracts. Buying in bulk of anything always drives the price-per-item down, so it makes even more sense for a small county Sheriff's Dept. to buy boxes of ammo in bulk than a larger/better-funded county.

Speculation aside, every time someone has picked the Big Bag O' Guns up off a flat surface, it's seemed like they're lifting something a lot heavier than your average carry-on sized luggage. While a goodly portion of that weight is no doubt the numerous guns packed into said bag, boxes of ammunition can be quite compact. Since Daryl's complaint to Rick when leaving the Vatos was about the guns Rick gave away and not ammunition given away, there's another piece of (admittedly thin) circumstancial evidence that they started out with a very large amount of ammo. Which makes sense if you think about the circumstances under which Rick packed the bag of guns & ammo. He was about to set off in search of his wife and son while traversing God-only-knows how much Walker-infested territory between him and his objective.

Rick can only feasibly use so many guns, but since he couldn't know how long it might take him to find Lori & Carl, and DEFINITELY couldn't know when he might have another opportunity to stock up on ammo (the condition of the hospital and the neighborhood streets would've been a pretty blatant clue that looting is a factor in what happened while he was still unconscious),....there's no reason to believe Rick wouldn't have just packing bricks of ammo into that bag until it was stuffed. I've consistently tried to find an angle where you can pause a frame on the digital cable and get a look at the gun-bag's interior, but to no avail.

I agree that popping off rounds like they have been is wasteful and reckless, but we can't know as viewers HOW wasteful and/or reckless their carefree use of ammo is without first knowing what kind of supply we're talking about.

Also agree that the "Walker Firing Squad" at the barn was a damned disgrace in terms of near-point-blank range torso shots by people who damn well know better. If you noticed, the worst offenders are easily T-Dog and Glenn (what a surprise, eh?)...Daryl seemed to be the only one with a shotgun firing judiciously. Glenn and T-Dog were as close to Spray-and-Pray as one can get with semiautomatics, and that's just sad. It doesn't take a marksman to hit something bowling-ball sized that's moving on a steady trajectory and slower than human walking speed at under 20 feet. I would've rather seen more near-misses slamming into the barn doors at zombie head-level than that barrage of torso-shots.

Thoughts?

Super Moderator

UK
    After the shooting range target practice they all did a few episodes prior, it was interesting to have the barn shootout there as essentially a practical, moving target practice for the rest of them - you deal with the barn, but you also deal with getting some of the others some target practice.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Also agree that the "Walker Firing Squad" at the barn was a damned disgrace in terms of near-point-blank range torso shots by people who damn well know better. If you noticed, the worst offenders are easily T-Dog and Glenn (what a surprise, eh?)...Daryl seemed to be the only one with a shotgun firing judiciously. Glenn and T-Dog were as close to Spray-and-Pray as one can get with semiautomatics, and that's just sad. It doesn't take a marksman to hit something bowling-ball sized that's moving on a steady trajectory and slower than human walking speed at under 20 feet. I would've rather seen more near-misses slamming into the barn doors at zombie head-level than that barrage of torso-shots.

Thoughts?
    I disagree. These are supposed to be real, believable people, most of whom have little firearms experience, facing down a decent crowd of the undead. There were two cops and a super-redneck there, who probably shouldn't even be as effective as they are often portrayed. Everyone else should have been scared so shitless that they couldn't remember the basics. I'd much rather this than all of the group having their switches flipped and turned into professional head shot plunking assassins like Andrea after an afternoon of target practice.

Nah, the waste of the ammunition in that case needs to be laid at the feet of Shane, who had a Roger-moment, acted crazy and put everyone in danger (which is fine from a character perspective) by forcing a confrontation at a time and by methods other than the group's choosing.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    They sure did expend alot of damn ammo to put down those barn walkers!! Alot of body shots that amount to wasted rounds.
    I tried to keep count but quit somewhere after 30. Shameful.
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    There were two cops and a super-redneck there, who probably shouldn't even be as effective as they are often portrayed.
    Ha, most the rednecks I know are crack shots, including me own dear pappy. You might think they're dumb, but they sure can work on cars and hunt like a mofo.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post

Ha, most the rednecks I know are crack shots, including me own dear pappy. You might think they're dumb, but they sure can work on cars and hunt like a mofo.
    Nah, Daryl is just too never-miss, commando to be believable. He's country and fieldcraft savvy, not a former member of the spetsnaz. Generally speaking his performance has been way above par. I'd like to see him a little more damaged and numb to what's going on if he's going ot keep pulling the rambo antics.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I love the guy but he is too super hero, action movie hero to me, he needs to be more human. I think they need to tone it done. OF COURSE it appeals especially to comic book fans, but I like the idea of him being more human. I think we are moving that way these days showing his mental issues, and his lashing out at Carrol. It shows his flaws, now he just needs to not be Peter rushing to the roof in the super hero ending of Dawn so much, and a bit more Roger making mistakes when he gets to geeked up.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think Daryl's plenty human - he just happens to be very skilled when it comes to survival and shooting arrows ... but he clearly has had a damaged childhood, and his time in the woods alone recently certainly did a number on him (ear necklace, anyone?) ... then add in his growing, but strained, relationship with Carol (which involved him stropping off when it seemed to him that she was giving up on ever finding Sophia, calling her a "stupid bitch" in the process), and I think Daryl's got plenty of everyday human in him. Some people have specific skills or talents - his happen to be crossbows and wilderness survival, and that's not exactly superhuman.

Super Moderator

United States
    Some people have specific skills or talents - his happen to be crossbows and wilderness survival, and that's not exactly superhuman.
    MZ, if it were just being good at crossbows and wilderness survival I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'd have to say, although the hunt for Sophia seemed to have dragged on, and the episoded are definately very 'talky,' it's been very good.

I'd be more than happy if the second half of the series was at this quality! But just with less looking for lost people

Bring on February!

PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS ABOUT NEXT SEASON WITHOUT SPOILER TAGS/WARNINGS!

I just hope they don't stay @ that farm for too long, cause i'm gonna lose wood on that.

Part of the series charm is the destruction going on in the city....i know i'm not alone on this one!
    I SMELL SOME POO...