Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, what do you think of the 2nd series so far? **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England

So, what do you think of the 2nd series so far? **SPOILERS WITHIN**

I'd have to say, although the hunt for Sophia seemed to have dragged on, and the episoded are definately very 'talky,' it's been very good.

I'd be more than happy if the second half of the series was at this quality! But just with less looking for lost people

Bring on February!

PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS ABOUT NEXT SEASON WITHOUT SPOILER TAGS/WARNINGS!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed - spiffing run of episodes.

While the Sophia hunt did drag on for too long (or too long without leads that really felt solid enough) ... I think we needed to have some sort of far more substantial 'we have almost found her' leads to keep that hunt fresh. However, it did culminate in one of the best sequences of this first half of season two - wowsers!

Now, the talkiness, I think they just need to tweak the pacing of the episodes in some instances - a lot of chit-chat stuff (that's very much needed, and in many ways excellent) which lacks in some cases the 'end of part one/two/three' "dun dun dun" moment, if you will, that would help provide a little more propulsion to the episode before the big end-of-episode sequence happens. Now, a good example of a well paced episode would be the one with Daryl in the woods (2x05, if memory serves) - it had a nice run of peaks & troughs, action, tension etc. An example of the pacing being a little off would be 2x07 - the payoff was fantastic, but the first three parts of the episode did lack a certain drive. It was all interesting character stuff, but it was a little odd watching it ... I was kind of thinking "when's the big drama going to happen?" - however, as we all know, it exploded at the end of the episode. Wonderfully done, but I think 2x07 needed a bit of a tweak earlier on in the episode to provide a touch more propulsion to the quieter/talkier moments - a bit more tension, like.

But yeah - a great series of episodes - 2x03's twist with Shane and Otis was a brilliant one (it's just a shame that it was spoiled for me completely by some berk elsewhere on the internet who posted a comment along the lines of 'what did you think of what Shane did?' - which, if you're aware of the context of 2x02's ending, is patently bloomin' obvious!).

Gore wise - some excellent work from KNB - the RV zombie in 2x01 was the best zombie look (and performance) of the entire season (with 'Zophia' coming a close second, I think) ... also, the two zeds that Daryl takes out in the woods was excellent, the half-decapitated drug store zombie, the really gross and bloated zombie in the well (when it split in half and poured its guts everywhere I reeled in joy/revulsion). Yeah - some excellent moments from KNB!

I do wonder what (if anything) will come of the footage that wasn't used from the original episode one (apparently episodes one and two were combined into the 2x01 that we know and love) ... although considering Rick would be wearing his cop uniform, I doubt it could even be used ... perhaps a flashback? Hmmm ... hopefully we'll at least see that stuff on the DVD/Blu-Ray (speaking of which - I'm still pissed us Brits don't have the Special Edition of Season 1 on our shores).

Bring on February indeed!

England
    Spent way too much time on the farm and hunting for Sophia...but it's still the only zombiegeddon TV series known to man so I will continue to cut it some slack when it's a bit under par..anyway, when this season has been good, it has been very good indeed.

My main and biggest complaint of this season is the sheer waste of ammo or lack of explaination as to why they can just blaze through so much. One minute, Otis and Shane are down to a bullet each, a day or two later, people are pissing rounds away down the new shooting range. Even an off-hand comment about finding a stash would have gone a long way to righting it in my view

Bottom line is that this show is very enjoyable, even when it isn't playing it's best game, if it disappoints in places, it's only because we have seen what this show can deliver when it's on form...still hoping for a bit more in the second half of the season though.

Oh, Daryl and Shane seem to have been given the most character growth for me the last several episodes, we've seen a lot of changes with them both, I'm holding judgement on Glen, we'll see if he develops a bit more in the second half of the season after his chat with cowgirl Magie.

Edit: Febuary seems a long way off all of a sudden...
    Last edited by Legion2213; 30-Nov-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    They do take their sweet time moving the plot along don't they? What took 7 episodes could have been told in three or four without really compromising on the human drama. In fact I would be happier with a leaner second season that was half as long but would move forward a bit faster. The overall soapy feel of the series can sometimes really kill all tension. These characters at times feel way too cosy in their world.
    Still, as most have stated, when it delivers, boy does it deliver. When it's at its bleakest, most depressing the series comes closest to the tone of the books.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've enjoyed the hell out of it. Along with some others, I still maintain that this is easily the best zombie related effort since 1985.

As for the final half of the season? A fellow member on another forum posted this picture from the promo reel that reveals a (Proceed at your own risk)

*BIG SPOILER*

spoilerific return of a character.:
    Episode 101:

Episode 209(or anywhere in the second half):

It could just be wishful thinking, but the skin and clothing make it certainly appear to be the return of Morgan. If so, i'm a happy camper.
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Nov-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: .

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've enjoyed the hell out of it. Along with some others, I still maintain that this is easily the best zombie related effort since 1985.
    Between "The Walking Dead" and "The Dead" (movie) it's been a quality year for zombie stuff.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Ireland
    Been very good so far. I have a few complaints, but it's nothing that wasn't there in Series 1.

At times it can feel like there's nothing to worry about and the lack of zombies in this zombie apocalypse can be a bit annoying. But when they do show up, they are usually excellent. Loved the RV zombie and the well zombie and enjoyed the gory scenes for what they were. Also enjoyed how the series has treated their characters too, this time around. They didn't add any more useless eaters, like T bloody Dog and whatever the hell that black woman was called and they progressed Otis and Sophia in a totally different direction, providing good moments with their reveals, even if the "in the barn" moment was sort of signalled before it happened.

Overall, my only damning complaint is the fact that I have to flippin wait around for two bleedin months to see the rest of the show.

As the AWESOM-O 4000 would say..."Lame!"
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States

As for the final half of the season? A fellow member on another forum posted this picture from the promo reel that reveals a...
    Already more than I wanted to know

MOD: I've amended his thread. Apologies on his behalf! I swear we're going to start dishing out warnings/bans soon if people can't post nicely!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    I've enjoyed the hell out of it...
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE WITH SPOILERS! I've amended your post!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I had it in spoiler tags?!?
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Nov-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Yeah. Same here. Whats going on? Are you mods sure you haven't got some specialmode switched on?
    No.

I can't speak for Neil, but I believe he was referencing the description of the picture that was not in the spoiler tags, which has been removed. I considered it borderline when I read it, as it was both a plot reveal and had a fair amount of specificity (the options dwindle pretty quickly when you think about what was originally posted), just more information than I cared to see. It's not a surprise that someone else felt similarly.

I get that at other forums, especially official forums or general social media sites, it becomes a case of lets outdo each other with leaked info and then it almost seems like that leaked info is common knowledge, but it's not to those of us trying to avoid those sorts of details. Sometimes what is considered a spoiler is going to come down to personal opinion or may even be revealed later on in the lead up to an episode via commercials, but in the meantime I think plot points and/or twists from leaked info need to be considered as spoilers.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    I had it in spoiler tags?!?
    I edited your post to move the sentence BEFORE (outside) the spoiler tag, to inside the SPOILER tag. For myself (and some others) this is a definate spoiler:-

"spoilerific return of a character," in reality probably only mean probably one of two different characters... So now we know to expect this, which is a real shame...

If in doubt SPOILER it please.

Anyway, enough SPOILER discussion I've removed some of the discussion about this matter to keep the thread on topic
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    [from the Little Rascals]

SPANKY: "Don't drink the milk!"

OL' CAP: "Why?"

SPANKY: "IT'S SPOILED!!!"

My main criticism of TWD season 2 is that they are firing their weapons way way too much. Where are they getting all this ammunition they seem to have? Why isn't the 'no gun noise because it will attract walkers' rule still in effect?
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 30-Nov-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    My main criticism of TWD season 2 is that they are firing their weapons way way too much. Where are they getting all this ammunition they seem to have? Why isn't the 'no gun noise because it will attract walkers' rule still in effect?
    Shane said in ep 103 that he had over 700 rounds. They gave some away to Morales but not many. Rick also gave guns to the Vatos but they were from his bag.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    They do take their sweet time moving the plot along don't they? What took 7 episodes could have been told in three or four without really compromising on the human drama. In fact I would be happier with a leaner second season that was half as long but would move forward a bit faster. The overall soapy feel of the series can sometimes really kill all tension. These characters at times feel way too cosy in their world.
    Still, as most have stated, when it delivers, boy does it deliver. When it's at its bleakest, most depressing the series comes closest to the tone of the books.
    I'll 2nd that emotion. Pretty much the same way I feel about it. I'd just add that I'd like to see alot more of the burnt out world. I'm seriously burnt out on the whole farm setting!! Big time. It has nothing to keep me interested. I need more situations similar to Shane and Otis raiding the school for supplies or Shane and Andrea at the housing development. Those are the shining moments IMO. I was pretty unimpressed with the mid-season finale. The ending scene was decent, but it was short.
    This is a zombie apocalypse for gods sake! So let's freakin see it already. I can handle the drama, I know it's central to the entire premise of the show. But it isn't why I'm watching the show. I think they're gonna start losing viewers though if that's all they're gonna be focusing on. They need to pick up the pace, and start giving us more than the same old love triangle and searches for missing people.