View Poll Results: Did "Land of the Dead" come BEFORE or AFTER "Day of the Dead"?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Land of the Dead comes AFTER Day of the Dead

42 84.00%
  • Land of the Dead comes BEFORE Day of the Dead

8 16.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *sigh* Let's sort THIS out once and for all...

Super Moderator

UK

*sigh* Let's sort THIS out once and for all...

Right, there's been more bleedin' and moaning and jibber jabber about whether Land of the Dead came before or after Day of the Dead, so you've all probably seen the post by Philly going on about "new tidbits" or whatever the title was, so here is a simple poll, fill it out and let's see...

...also Philly, there'll be no need for a sequel as the answer will be the same time and again.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Jul-2006 at 06:30 PM.

United States
    ...also Philly, there'll be no need for a sequel as the answer will be the same time and again.
    Well, I am sure that the Jews in World War II were glad that the prevailing attitudes at the time were not considered settled for all time, but that further discussion merited them not being killed to extinction......

Point being, any poll, whether it be here on HPOTD about the Day vs. Land timeline, or a national poll about the illegal alien discussion, is only a snapshot for that particular moment in time. Attitudes change, new information comes to light, well crafted and truthful (sometimes poorly crafted and untruthful) arguments sway people's long held beliefs, etc. I will not start another poll, but just wanted to make a general statement about polls.

Hopefully people read this previous thread before voting in this poll. Maybe they have never considered the question before, and will vote instinctively based soley on release dates.

But you still Da Man in my book, Minion!
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 27-Jun-2006 at 06:42 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What Poll?

Super Moderator

UK
    Jesus f*cking Christ give me a f*cking chance you bunch of f*cking f*ckers!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    Jesus f*cking Christ give me a f*cking chance you bunch of f*cking f*ckers!

"Look at this morose Mother F*cker. Who p*ssed in your Corn Flakes?"

Is "p*ss" really a word that should be censored?

Super Moderator

UK
    *ahem*

*NEEEEERRRRRRRRRRDDDD hat on*

I believe the line was "Look at this morose motherf*cker right here, looks like someone took a sh*t in his cereal"...

*ahem*

Yes, I am a total geek, but aren't I just so damn sexy ... now vote in my new Poll of Awesomeness!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    *ahem*

*NEEEEERRRRRRRRRRDDDD hat on*

I believe the line was "Look at this morose motherf*cker right here, looks like someone took a sh*t in his cereal"...

*ahem*

Yes, I am a total geek, but aren't I just so damn sexy ... now vote in my new Poll of Awesomeness!
    Yeah....leave your television, MZ.

Hey, It's always good to have some Smith quotes under your belt...

United States
    *ducks behind sofa first*

Why does there have to be a distinct timeline? I always felt that the movies could have happened along side one another. (barring decade incongruities)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Discussions like this promote healthy debate among the citizens of HPOTD. Basically HPOTD is the message board form of LOTD with Andy being Kaufmann.

I would say Neil, but Andy is on more... (Sorry Neil, we don't see much of you anymore.)

Minion, is the Cholo of the group.

I have yet to find Riley, Slack or Charlie.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I dunno, I still think that Land is a totally different universe with a similar problem.

evidence.

Night, Dawn and Day, are fairly "timeless" all 3 could all be taking place in 1980 lets say, but in Land the technology really stands out in your face, making you wonder stuff like "If Peter was playing crappy arcade games why does Dead Rekoning has GPS..."

in the first 3 money is obviously not important, but it is in Land, of course for a bit it seems important in Dawn when the bikers come in, a couple of them seem to think money is still worth something, but not much at they throw it in the air. In Land they spend it on real things "my 4 million dollar piece of equipment" and cash is worth killing people for as well "pay up or die" as well as stealing it and killing to conseal the theft

Philly in Dawn in the same old city we know today, in Land it has a huge tower that doesn't exist in real life, unless they bothered building such a massive structure whille zombies destroyed the rest of the world

the names are obviously different, the first 3 are times of the day, Land in geography

there isn't exactly a huge amount of evidence that the zombies "evolved" over time making it seem like a logical jump from Day, Bub seemed alot smarter then Big Daddy, his "friends" were just "monkey see monkey do" and the rest of his army were just the same bunch of mindless human eaters that we've always seen in zombie films

there is however a "Blade" zombie which seems to put it the same universe as Dawn, of couse that could be explaned that Blade also existed and died in this Land universe

Now of course unless GAR says so all that is just a bunch of garbage, but it does help to explain alot if we say that Land is a totally different trilogy/universe
    Last edited by erisi236; 29-Jun-2006 at 02:03 PM.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think you're way off dude.

You're using hair styles and technology as your time guide and you can't because although the films have no real link to one another, they do through the zombies. With Land being the latest entry and being the most descriptive about the apocalypse. It is safe to assume the time line would be from their present day to 3 years prior. So if their present day is 2005, the epidemic started in 2002.

With Land being the biggest piece of evidence of a time period and with the description of the plague, it's effects etc etc. it would be safe to assume the dead rose sometime in the 21st century (2001-2002) Which make Night of the Living Dead start in 2001/2002.

Even though the films have been spread out over a 40 year time span, LAND describes the events the most accurately, especially with the radio reports at the beginning.

I know Romero has always said their is no specific time period to any of the films, it is just the same plague. However, LAND gives the most definitive time line @ 3 years so LAND could easily explain the plague as it happened in Night, DAWN, and Day.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    I think you're way off dude.

You're using hair styles and technology as your time guide and you can't because although the films have no real link to one another, they do through the zombies. With Land being the latest entry and being the most descriptive about the apocalypse. It is safe to assume the time line would be from their present day to 3 years prior. So if their present day is 2005, the epidemic started in 2002.

With Land being the biggest piece of evidence of a time period and with the description of the plague, it's effects etc etc. it would be safe to assume the dead rose sometime in the 21st century (2001-2002) Which make Night of the Living Dead start in 2001/2002.

Even though the films have been spread out over a 40 year time span, LAND describes the events the most accurately, especially with the radio reports at the beginning.

I know Romero has always said their is no specific time period to any of the films, it is just the same plague. However, LAND gives the most definitive time line @ 3 years so LAND could easily explain the plague as it happened in Night, DAWN, and Day.
    Nicely said.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm Cholo?! Bugger off!

I'm blates Riley! ... even Charlie would be much better than Cholo...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm Cholo?! Bugger off!

I'm blates Riley! ... even Charlie would be much better than Cholo...

So you want to be the idiot Savant?

Ok, You are now Charlie.
    The Forrest gump of zombie land!

Quote Originally Posted by Graebel
    Nicely said.
    Thanks
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 29-Jun-2006 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    see the thing is (for me) is that it's not just the technology (which IS jarring) or the hair (did I mention hair? ) theres other stuff thats hard to point to, like tone and feeling, this is probably because GAR is an older guy now, and has a different way of directing but Land is just "OFF" when you watch is after watching the other films.

Another interesting note on the "different universe" theory is that the next proposed movie will follow the adventures of Lands protagonists and be called "World", if true it would be hard to say that it isn't in fact a new trilogy/universe altogether.

another note on technology tho' if they made a 4th Mad Max film would it seem right if Max was suddenly driving around in a '06 Mustaine,when in the last film he was down to a cart pulled by cammels?

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."