Thread: South Park: The Stick Of Truth (video game)

United States

South Park: The Stick Of Truth (video game)

An RPG set in the SP universe has the potential to be amazing:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/01/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_c2

"South Park: The Game" is a role-playing adventure in which players explore the fictional Colorado town and befriend the show's protagonists, Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman. The game is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, which has designed critically-acclaimed role-playing games in the "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" and "Neverwinter Nights" franchises.

With the new game, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the power duo behind "South Park" and the Broadway hit "The Book of Mormon," should want to erase their last foray into console gaming from people's memories. Acclaim Entertainment's "South Park," a first-person-shooter game released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64, computer and original PlayStation, was panned by critics.
    I remember receiving the N64 game for Christmas one year, and having to pretend to like it. Hopefully this will make up for that bad memory.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I thought the first South Park game was fun for what it was. It was very much like the seasons of the day, very noisy and blunt. Today I could probably still play it out of nostalgic value.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll probably play this at some point ... not super stoked for it, though ... when it's on sale I'll have a bash at it.

The new season got underway - the first episode was pretty solid. Apparently they're changing up the writer's room on the show a little bit this season - more collaborative than before, which should hopefully freshen things up a bit, get different ideas and perspectives from multiple people to hammer out the best angles on the chosen subject matter for the episode. It even got a new opening credits sequence.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    The game is being censored outside of North America? - http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-sti...f-a-1530528203

About seven 20 seconds scenes have been chopped.

Huh? Normally it's the US that's censoring instead of us here in Europe!

In the censored Australian version of the game, some scenes were replaced by images of crying koalas.
    LOL!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Something to do with alien probes or something, and a scene involving an abortion, from what I read on ActionTrip. You'd have thought the latter would be too much for America too, as it's quite a thorny issue ... it didn't read like a normal abortion from the description ... perhaps more like that episode where, IIRC, Stan had to have one because he was possessed by the devil and they had to extract the beast from his butt or something like that (it was a Christmas episode, too!).

Australia's constantly censoring (or outright banning) videogames, so it's hardly surprising, but elsewhere outside North America is quite surprising.

Still, from what I've read, it's not a big loss.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The game is being censored outside of North America? - http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-sti...f-a-1530528203

About seven 20 seconds scenes have been chopped.

Huh? Normally it's the US that's censoring instead of us here in Europe!

LOL!
    Australia is always censoring stuff. I'd hate to buy games or films there. It's ridiculous.

edit: As Mini just said.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 26-Feb-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Looks like we're goin' down to South Park to have ourselves a time...

You really couldn’t ask for a better South Park game. It looks and sounds identical to the series, and is just as gleefully offensive. But it’s also a very decent RPG, with rich customisation and slick turn-based combat.
    From the start, most of South Park is free to explore. It’s a big space, and nearly every building can be entered, from Tom’s Rhinoplasty to South Park Elementary.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/review/south-park-pc-review/

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYQtrS9CEeI

Seems about the only issue with it is that the classes aren't different enough (e.g. Fighter as opposed to Mage or Thief or Jew, weapons etc) ... other than that it looks pretty damn good. I'll definitely get it sometime soon.

Ireland
    Looks like it might be worth a punt alright.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    I might get this just as it's something very different!
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    F*ck!! This game is insanely funny like hell. LMAO. I laughed a lot when listening to these characters' conversations. I think this is a bit funnier than The Simpsons. only a bit though. Can't wait to see more and more videos of this game on RadBrad's YouTube channel.
    I love games. And a LOT. But i'm more into mobile games actually, like smartphone and tablet games. BUt i still have my classic Xbox, which now has been kept safely in my warehouse

Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / MySpace / Tumblr / Youtube / Blog