Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starship troopers remake...

England

Starship troopers remake...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=84799

Is there really any need to remake this? fair enough Verhoevens version is different to the books but I still don't see the point in redoing what to me still feels like a fairly recent film (I know its about 15 years old now but it doesnt seem it)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    why? it still holds up as a campy satirical sci fi, it doesnt need remaking.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    why? it still holds up as a campy satirical sci fi, it doesnt need remaking.
    And I really like it for that, however I'm sure a number of people still want to see a version more in line with the original book.

Frankly, I'd rather see some other military sci fi titles first. Forever War (on the 3rd or 4th draft of the script--Ridley Scott is all about directing it, too), or Old Man's War by Scalzi.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    And I really like it for that, however I'm sure a number of people still want to see a version more in line with the original book.

Frankly, I'd rather see some other military sci fi titles first. Forever War (on the 3rd or 4th draft of the script--Ridley Scott is all about directing it, too), or Old Man's War by Scalzi.
    word b'yatch, this is fine as is. Take another good sci fi series. Whatever happened to the morgan freeman attached RAMA project?

United States
    If you get a chance watch Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles cartoon series. Very well done and it's faithful to the original novel.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    If you get a chance watch Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles cartoon series. Very well done and it's faithful to the original novel.
    Good to know! I think they're on netflix, if I recall correctly. I'd never have thought they were in line with the original version. Thanks for the tip.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    What... the... f*ck... ?

Say what you will about the 1997 version not being that faithful to tbe book, but it is one of THE best Sci-fi films ever. It's a masterpiece. A work of art. A work of silly art. A work of satirical art. A work of popcorn art. A work of action art. It's flawless in every sense of the word. If someone were to ask me "Hey, what are the top 3 science fiction films from the 90's?" I would say "Starship Troopers, Starship Troopers and Starship Troopers."

Also, the special effects, even if they are 14 years old, are state-of-the-fucking-art. There is nothing TODAY that compares. Did you guys see those new Star Wars films? I did, and thought "This looks like shit compared to Starship Troopers". Because it does. Starship Troopers used models where Lucas opted for CGI. The difference? One looks real, and one looks fake. Even if the CGI effects themselves might not be a 10 out of 10 in today's CGI climate, they are at least a 8/10.

Whoever thought of this shitty idea should be shot in the mouth from point blank range and then raped to death by a group of black bears. In the mouth!
    Last edited by EvilNed; 02-Dec-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Awesomeness

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    just say no to this. "Starship troopers" is an awesome bit of scifi cheese. it is fine just the way it is.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    I would rather watch a Blue Gender movie. I need to rewatch the series uneditted. It is kind of like Starship Troopers.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I must agree with the consensus. Do not remake. Watch and be glad a giant alien bug doesn't suck out your brain. Damn that gave me nightmares as a kid.

Undisclosed
    Agreed. Troopers was classic Verhoeven. Only he could make such a subversive statement on american imperialism and wrap it in this pulpy action nonsense. Same with Robocop, which in itself was a virulent satirical attack on rightwing notions of law and order. What Robocop did for the eighties, Troopers was for the nineties. Deeply brilliant film; not subtle but good fun AND smart. It remains to be seen if any remake will have the balls to copy that ambiguous tone. I'm willing to wager not.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I misread the title as "Super Troopers Remake" and started to get a bit angry. But Starship Troopers? Ehh....I could take it or leave it, I guess.

The original was okay for a viewing or two, but never really hit the right mark with me. Never cared enough to see the following sequels.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This movie isn't even that old... I can't wait until studios start remaking films from the same decade.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Didn't they already do that with the Spiderman movie? Or was that barely over a decade?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    This movie isn't even that old... I can't wait until studios start remaking films from the same decade.
    Isn't there already rumours of a harry potter and the philosophers stone remake in like 5 years?