Thread: Dawn of the Dead miniatures game

Being Attacked

United States

Dawn of the Dead miniatures game

Since I was going through the trouble to paint lots of custom zombies for the Night of the Living Dead miniatures game I made, I decided why not do something with Dawn of the Dead too? So, I enlarged and mounted the DotD (SPI, 1978) board and searched high and low to find figures I could turn in Peter, Roger, Fran and Steven.

Peter, Fran, Steven and Roger.

An overview of the board.

Peter and Roger in action.

Another view of the game board.

WN

Norway
    Awesome work! The miniatures looks awesome and are painted really well!

United States
    Great work. That must have taken some time to complete.

United States
    Looks great, love the creativity and detail behind this project.

United States
    Few questions about your project.

What size did you print the game board? Did you print it as a single sheet on a plotter or as individual sheets and paste them together?

What material did you use as the backing for your game board? Spray on glue to attach the paper to the backing? Did you have any trouble with air bubbles?

In terms of game play how do you keep track of how many zombies each minature represents? Recall in the game there were numbered counters representing groups of zombies.

Have you considered uploading your pictures to the Dawn of the Dead board game section on Boardgame Geek? Bet they would get a kick out of your project.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...wn-of-the-dead

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Being Attacked

United States
    What size did you print the game board? Did you print it as a single sheet on a plotter or as individual sheets and paste them together? Four 11x17 pieces of paper that overlap. Where possible I had them join at lines on the game board.

What material did you use as the backing for your game board? Spray on glue to attach the paper to the backing? Did you have any trouble with air bubbles? I used a decent stock of foamcore for backing and used spray glue, so no air bubbles. The board is in two pieces.

In terms of game play how do you keep track of how many zombies each miniature represents? Recall in the game there were numbered counters representing groups of zombies. The zombie chits are put aside in a cup and you draw from it as needed placing defeated zombie numbers back in the box as you go.

WN

United States
    That is seriously awesome!

Super Moderator

United States
    Simply amazing work, WN! Lovely, painstaking brush work on the figures (I never was good at miniature painting).

What is the deal with the minis themselves? Are they selectively purchased from different vendors lines, come from a licensed source for Dawn or are they custom-cast/custom-patchwork?

I can't recall much about the original boxed game, I'm afraid.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    What is the deal with the minis themselves? Are they selectively purchased from different vendors lines, come from a licensed source for Dawn or are they custom-cast/custom-patchwork?
    They are from assorted sets, though there are a few zombie set makers that I really like. Some of them I mod as needed i.e. removing a weapon or adding a detail. The people are from anywhere I can find them. Peter and Roger are from the same set I believe. Steven and Fran are from different sets. The human characters often need more modifying for example Peter was bald so hair needed to be added or the WGON symbol on Steven's bag.

WN

United States
    Great work, Wrong Number. I have always wanted a Dawn of the Dead playset since I was a kid and this is better than any set I would ever hope to make for myself - and heads and tails better than those weird Japanese figures with the oversized heads.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Being Attacked

United States
    The game is being run next week at Origins and in playing it I realized that I didn't have anything to represent the gins that can be acquired in the Sporting Goods store, so here is what I came up with for them. Also, a zombie you might recognize.

WN

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Number View Post
    The game is being run next week at Origins and in playing it I realized that I didn't have anything to represent the gins that can be acquired in the Sporting Goods store, so here is what I came up with for them. Also, a zombie you might recognize.

WN

Awesome.
    Go get em George.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA