Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're the Last Person on Earth: What Do You Do?

United States

You're the Last Person on Earth: What Do You Do?

A terrible superflu has wiped out all of humanity or a hundred other scenerios - but it all boils down to this: You realize you're the last person in the world (at least as far as you know). What do you do?

I think we've probably had this type of thread here before but it's been a long time and peoples opinions change and we have many new members now. Plus, I've been drunk since then and don't remember.

For myself: I'd have to say I'd probably first find a good bar and get pissed-drunk in thinking this is some type of cosmic joke on me ("Oh, you got me good, God!") and after that I honestly don't know what the hell I'd do.

I'd say it would be fun for the first week or so - but after that you'd probably slowly start to succumb to madness after awhile without companionship of humanity and things wouldn't be so much fun.

j.p.

-- -------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Aha! Found that pesky thread! It's actually the one right below this one (titled: "You wake up and find you're the last person on earth..."). I was wondering if I was crazy (yes, yes I am) or if I had just imagined it in a rare moment of a fit of non-alcohol-induced sobriety.

Carry on, feel free to merge me and throw tomatoes at me.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    If I literally thought I was the last person on earth? Probably cry a lot and then have a bullet for dinner, but who knows how long a survival instinct and fear of death would string me along.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Sheeesh, how depressing... Knowing that you'll never have a meaning conversation again, and end up old and slowly starving and wilting away with no one to help you...

Imagine if you just do something like break a leg for example!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I think you'd be able to amuse yourself for many years to be honest. If you kept busy, you'd be okay.

However, once you'd done everything you could think of and major depression set in, I think it would be terminal...but you'd leave a quite splendid collection of "real dolls" behind.

I wonder how many places you'd find yourself visiting, how many important buildings you'd sleep in etc. I mean, imagine slobbing around in Buckinham Palace in just your boxers, cruising around the Whitehouse in nothing but your slippers etc. I really do think you could keep yourself reasonably active for a while.

It might take decades before you accept that you really are the last man on Earth. I suppose that depends on the individual...I think what would do me in would be to go 10 years or so alone and then to randomly come across a woman who had only recently killed herself due to her own lonliness and belief that she was the last person around, that would really f*cking suck...
    Last edited by Legion2213; 07-Dec-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Last person on the planet - what would I do? Hmmm ... in movie land I'd go mental doing all sorts of crazy shit ... in reality land I'd climb to the top of the tallest available building and fling myself off it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd devote 2 hours everyday with the phone book and call every-single-f*cking-number I could find.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'd devote 2 hours everyday with the phone book and call every-single-f*cking-number I could find.
    Haha! Gold...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I'm just gonna be honest.

You know those life-like s*x dolls you can get, they're made of silicone and various rubbery materials and they look pretty creepy and real.

Well I'd probably get one of those, name it Lusi.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'd stand in the middle of the city everyday with a bullhorn yelling "Hello!" ...wait, that's been done before.

i enjoy being alone for long periods (in fact, i hardly ever leave my house) but after awhile, it would start wearing even on me to the point where i'd probably start naming fire hydrants and having conversations with trees. shooting dogs would probably become my new hobby and i'd probably end up having as many cats as the crazy old coot at the end of "logan's run."
    Last edited by Mike70; 08-Dec-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post

You know those life-like s*x dolls you can get, they're made of silicone and various rubbery materials and they look pretty creepy and real.

That's exactly what you said in the previous thread on the subject. Then we broke into a debate over which is better, sex dolls or masturbation.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's exactly what you said in the previous thread on the subject.
    Hmmm, and a pattern starts to form

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's exactly what you said in the previous thread on the subject. Then we broke into a debate over which is better, sex dolls or masturbation.
    lol it's true. I've got a weird fascination with those things - not in that weird leg rubbing way - but I've always wanted to get one made up of a girl that I hate, and have it fall out of a wardrobe on her. Hilarious trolling could be had with one of those things!!!!

But if there was no one else left on earth...I'd probably shag it.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Symph is only saying what everyone else is thinking.

The truth is sexy ... or creepy ... or both.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This topic came up at work today, and we got this great idea. Start researching into artificial birth and insemination. Create new human beings from stored sperm banks and eggs. Then teach them a slightly revised version of human history where you are god.

Also, for fun, I would drop very heavy objects from great heights. Onto cars.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Get out of this pillbox and move to the Occi.Tower and leave this bad chess player behind.

Maybe found a Laughing Academy my students can be all dusty mannequins.

Set up cameras everywhere to guarantee there will be found footage.

Burn down or blow up one medium sized metropolis.

Run around Yankee stadium bases nude with an large bag of cheese doodles.

Drive Formula 1 cars before gas goes bad.

Ned,there's no phone ringing.NO PHONE