Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us (video game) - 'ultra realistic' zombie pandemic for PS3?

Scotland
    Possibly a bit ott but I'm seriously considering the purchase of a PS3 (being a 360 owner with a casual interest in games) before
    getting a next gen console in order to play "The Last of Us". Anyone any opinions on whether it's worth it or not?
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto Vivente View Post
    Possibly a bit ott but I'm seriously considering the purchase of a PS3 (being a 360 owner with a casual interest in games) before
    getting a next gen console in order to play "The Last of Us". Anyone any opinions on whether it's worth it or not?
    For one game? not really, but theres a fair few ps3 games as good as the last of us like journey, mgs4 and heavy rain to name a few. The system has an excellent number of exclusive if you want something a little less "NICE NO SCOPE BRAH, 420 BLAZE IT NIGGUH!" fps horseshit you get a lot nowadays.

Super Moderator

UK
    I just watched the opening sequence on YouTube - damn, "dem feels" as Danny is known to say.

I wish this was on the 360, that's for sure!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Just watch the whole movie on Youtube...

United States
    I dunno about for this game...I bought a refurbished thicker one because I heard the thin PS3 were garbage. I bought mine for MGS4 after the release of MGS:Rising. My son and daughter (ages:4 and 2) love Little Big Planet and I got tired of paying for XBL Gold just for Netflix since I don't play multiplayer that much anymore.

Scotland
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the movie. Three hours is a long time but from what I've heard this game is grade "A" (decent characters, great plot and zombies).

Also going down the refurbished route is something I hadn't considered, cheers!
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Zombie Flesh Eater

England
    Do it. I've been playing it this evening when my pal came over with it and guess what? I'm buying a PS3 and a copy of the game at the end of the week. It is the best zombie/virus game I have ever played. Nothing remotely comes close.

The George A. Romero Fan Assembly @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/geor...rofanassembly/

Ireland
    Watched the first 20 mins of that game.

Looks better than most films that are being made. The voice acting is really good.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Seems the game was a bit too realistic at times... Some of the phone numbers are sex lines - http://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-hid...ke-w-586902643
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Playing this at the moment.

Have to admit, I'm not blown away. Seems a rather generic, cover based shooter and has some really awkward controls.

Undisclosed
    Well, it is a naughty dog game where graphics and overall atmosphere are way more important than actual gameplay/controls. The AI and ropey stealth mechanics become grating after a while ...
    Still enjoyed playing it.
    But I do find myself growing weary of all these interactive movie, hollywood style productions that are so light on actual gameplay you could finish them with your eyes closed..
    Definitely not the best zombie game on consoles though. That would be zombi U or Dead rising (2).

Ireland
    Yeh, I'm getting sick of being duped by this console bollocks to be honest.

It was the same with L.A. Noire. Looks nice, but there's no fuckin game.

This certainly is NOT the 10/10 mind blower that we've been led to believe. I'm about three/four hours in and so far it's been cover, sneek, choke/shoot, cutscene...repeat.

It's a "game" that wants to be a film. Stay tuned for 'The Last of Us - The Movie'

Give me 'Dead Island' any day.

Ireland
    So, I'm about 30%+ into this and it IS getting better. The simplistic mechanics of the game prevent it from being the '"ultra realistic" zombie pandemic for the PS3' (that and the fact that there's no actual zombies in it), but it certainly has improved on the early stages.

What's very good is the voice acting of everyone concerned and the banter between the characters is great. Especially well done, is Ellie and top marks go to whomever did her. But for me there's no real immersion into the world. The fact that it is in a fixed 3rd person perspective goes a long way to destroy that. Why, oh why, do games companies believe that looking over the shoulder of a character is a better option than a full on 1st person view??? It boggles the mind and personally, I have always felt that it's quite a disorientating experience. It's a particular peculiarity of the console generation. Give me a 1st person view any day, or at least the option to go into that view. Why the hell can't that happen? It's only a camera shift.

In it's favour, there have been some tense moments so far.

The "clickers" (infected people that have reached a very late stage and are totally blind, but can locate by sound) create great stealth moments. But when they locate you, the shit hits the fan and you're basically fuked.
    . Unfortunately, there are a lot of sections where they player has to repeat his actions over and over, because detection usually means death. The careful husbanding of ammo is a good addition, but on higher levels it simply means death for the player on a regular basis, again further destroying the realism and quickly becoming very annoying.

One thing that the 'The Last of Us' would've benefitted from would have been real zombies. There's a great 'Walking Dead' feel to the game

when the characters get out of the QZ. One area feels like Morgan's little enclave!
    The infected are an ok antagonist, but they lose their umph quickly and take too many bullets to kill, which is silly. The most enjoyable enemy are other gangs of humans.

So far, it's a 6.5/10. This may rise as the game unfolds. But, the most glaring problem with 'The Last of Us' is that it's really a film masquerading as a game.

Ireland
    So, I finished this last night.

While I wasn't impressed at the early stages, it certainly does evolve into a decent, entertaining game. It's a generally satisfying whole, but it definitely is not worthy of all the 10/10's it's been getting in internetland.

It's sort of a cross between 'Mass Effect' and 'Red Dead Redemption', but with less "game", if you know what I mean.

The game mechanics are very repetitive and they really do not change much from the beginning. The order of the day remains cover, sneek, choke/shoot, cutscene as mentioned earlier.

The story is well written, if a little er..."Roady" as it were, but the various settings are good. The graphic work is superb and it makes you wonder where the PS4 is going to go. But, its extremely linear nature means that exploration is of limited entertainment, as there really is only one way to proceed. 'Oblivion'/'Skyrim' it ain't.

Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10. It's worth picking up. But, knowing what I know know, I'd wait til the price drops.

For those of you expecting zombies...don't. They aren't. Not in the Romero vein anyway and they also tend to become a secondary or even tertiary concern after a while. In fact, the whole game could have gone ahead without them. Fighting the humans was far more enjoyable, but the infected were more dangerous.

United States
    Some mighty fine impressions, shootem. I'll definitely buy this at some point, but to hear that the gameplay is so repetitive is kind of a downer.