Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us (video game) - 'ultra realistic' zombie pandemic for PS3?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

The Last of Us (video game) - 'ultra realistic' zombie pandemic for PS3?

http://www.lastofus.com/

So this just came out, the latest news. main announcement at the VGA's.

heres what scant details we know:

>its a ps3 exclusive
    >its touted as 'the most photo realistic videogame yet
    >2 screenshots show a woodland and a very old newspaper stating how the president announces millions are dead or 'infected'
    >shows a video of a 'zombie' ant crawling to its death under control of the infamous cordycepts fungus
    >quoted as 'if you like matt damons contagion flick you will like this'

My guess? surviving in a zombieish viral pandemic. nice to see a possible interesting ps3 exclusive on the way. lets wait and see.

Administrator

England
    Don't recon this will be 'zombie'... Probably going to be mutant/fungus creatures!?

Does anything specifically say "zombie"?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Sounds like it could be good although I highly doubt a PS3 exclusive will be "the most photo realistic game yet" seen as the current generation of consoles has reached its ceiling & being well overtaken by the PC again (compare Skyrim for example)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Don't recon this will be 'zombie'... Probably going to be mutant/fungus creatures!?

Does anything specifically say "zombie"?
    well the site auto loads a video of the ants controlled by the cordycepts fungi. The only real world 'zombie' in the animal kingdom and its been used for 'zombies' in sci-fi orientated horror stuff across almost every medium i can think of. They chose that video for a specific reason. If it was something a bit less 'shambly' they could have chosen a myriad of other things.

To be honest im expecting this to be the first in a series of zombie-ish games being announced after dead island proved theres still a paying market for the sub genre.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Let's hope you're right. If you think of every zombie game, in reality they're not really just zombies in there. They're different types of mutated monsters, maybe with zombies as the lowest form... Dead Island's got closest I guess, but even that has it's highers mutations to offer more variety and challenge. It's not just zombies.

I recon this will be the same, such that it's not just a Romero just zombies type game...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Huh. Apparently naughty dog said they added a few references to the last of us in uncharted 3. Like Drake can find a newspaper saying 'scientists struggle to fight deadly fungus'.

So its deadly, and the website has a video of a 'zombie' making fungus.

HURM.

-- -------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

OH. F*CK.

I think this is a hideo kojimia game.

if it is, and it is zombies, or mutants if its a snatcher prequel?

jesus jumped up christ....

-- -------- Post added 11-Dec-2011 at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-Dec-2011 at 07:21 PM ----------

Wow, i was expecting some generic nighttime horror if i'm honest. Not that.

So it turns out its by naughtydog, dont think the kojima input rumours were true at all, but its straight from the uncharted 3 guys. With the main character played by- both voice and mocap and model from ellen paige. Right about the fungal zombies though.

Its being quoted as 'putting the survival back in survival horror, i am legend meets the road in a city where nature has retaken the streets and joel and ellie survive fighting both infected and other humans for the most basic of resources.

Honestly i think it looks shit hot since thats all in game engine stuff.

Though no doubt a few hpotd folks who dont even own a ps3 will bitch and moan that its not 'proper, realistic zombies'

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Though no doubt a few hpotd folks who dont even own a ps3 will bitch and moan that its not 'proper, realistic zombies'
    Obviously if it were on the 360 it would be ten times better and there would be proper Romero zombies in it and stuff...

Does look pretty nice though. Starting to look like I might have to ammend my letter to Santa this year... hmmm... dammit!

Undisclosed
    Ok. Very excited. 'The Road' meets '28 days later' meets 'hopefully non-generic post-apocalyptic survival horror gameplay'...
    Those graphics are quite something. Seems like this generation can still pull some stunts in its last two/three years.

"Shoot 'em in the mushroom!"
    Last edited by krisvds; 11-Dec-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: .

United States
    looks pretty cool. . .I thought that chick looked and sounded a lot like ellen page . . . .interesting. . I might have to get a ps3 for this one.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Well, if it makes you feel better, between this and the Uncharted series, I wish I could stomach the idea of buying another console system. Not gonna happen though.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    looks pretty cool. . .I thought that chick looked and sounded a lot like ellen page . . . .interesting. . I might have to get a ps3 for this one.
    Is that the girl from Juno? Because I couldn't stop thinking that looked like her.

I have Uncharted 2 and, in my opinion, it's one of the best games I've EVER played. So, sign me up for another game by this company, especially if it's zombie related!

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    especially if it's zombie related!
    Now there's a debate waiting to happen!

Are they classed as Zombies? Infected? Or a new strain of Fungus People? Discuss...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post

Are they classed as Zombies? Infected? Or a new strain of Fungus People? Discuss...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post

Undisclosed