Thread: "American Psycho" to be redone.

Undisclosed

Thumbs down "American Psycho" to be redone.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...43348220111208

Make it stooooooooooooooooooooooop!

Super Moderator

United States
    I normally don't freak out about this remake stuff, but this is horrible.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Frakking nuts!

That's all.

Pardon the Caprican.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    eh, count me out. i enjoy the first film, but it pales in comparison to the book. i seriously doubt this heap will even come close to either in terms of quality.

set in modern times + anti-wall street sentiment + nobody can touch bale as bateman = nofuckingthanks

hollywood is so fucked it's unbelievable. remakes and sequels account for probably 90% of what they "make" these days.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 09-Dec-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: FEED ME A STRAY HOLLYWOOD EXECUTIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    hollywood is so fucked it's unbelievable. remakes and sequels account for probably 90% of what they "make" these days.
    well let's see, a studio/production company already owns a property that is a proven hit with a ready made fan base. is it easier to, oh say, have some imagination, develop new ideas and foster creativity, which takes time, money and could lead to nowhere - particularly if the new project is original, thoughtful and is bereft of cliche characters/situations OR simply re-ride a pony that's already brought in the bucks when all you have to do is put a new saddle on it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I....I......I have to return some video tapes.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    eh, count me out. i enjoy the first film, but it pales in comparison to the book. i seriously doubt this heap will even come close to either in terms of quality.

set in modern times + anti-wall street sentiment + nobody can touch bale as bateman = nofuckingthanks
    So, if it's set in modern times, what I wanna know is, how could this POSSIBLY be considered a "remake"?? I mean, wasn't the book and movie placed in the 80's?

Oh, and PC is correct - if you haven't read the book, you seriously need to. I thought the movie was great (mostly because of BATEman playing the lead) but oh wow, the book was DISTURBING!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I....I......I have to return some video tapes.
    Good one.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    The book makes you feel insane. Literally. It's so brilliantly written. Bateman's detailed descriptions on what each and every character is wearing is just mind bending....to the point where it makes you stir crazy.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    I hope everybody involved in this is horribly murdered - Patrick Bateman style.

The original movie is top draw, they knew they couldn't reproduce the book faithfully, so they focused on the smaller picture and the "lighter" stuff...and it worked a charm, Bale was Godlike in this flick, absolutely fantastic.

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    Agreed - remaking this flick is a moronic idea. The original movie is perfect - it needs to be left alone ... damn I should totally re-watch that flick (yet again ).

I'm with Lou and Symph - you guys should definitely check out the book. It's bloody mental. Some of the stuff that goes on in that book they'd never be allowed to film. But it's also a great read.

Administrator

England
    Bit more news - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ameri...mes-28258.html

According to Variety, the studio has hired Noble Jones to write and direct a new version of American Psycho. Unlike the first film, which only came out in 2000, the remake won't be set in the 80s, but will instead be modernized, with the story looking at "how Bateman would fare in modern day Gotham." Jones is a fairly new filmmaker, as his only previous credit is as a second unit director on David Fincher's The Social Network. The story says that while the project is in development, it hasn't yet been greenlit. Jones pitched the project months ago and recently turned in his first draft of the script.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As they say on the special features for the original film, I don't believe this story can work as well in a modern setting. A large portion of the film's charm is the 80's environment.

So I guess now Bateman will be smoking meth while talking about Lady Gaga?
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Dec-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    they made a sequel set in modern day. it blew. follow that train of thought.

Super Moderator

UK
    No doubt they'll force some bullshitty, hand-wringing, self-righteous, ham-fisted 'message' about "evil bankers" and their "mega bonuses" and blah-blah-blah.

Re-doing it is such a moronic idea. The book was great, the movie was great - end of. Leave it. Nuff said. Done.